Lots of UNC-CHeat news this week

Home Forums All StateFansNation Lots of UNC-CHeat news this week

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Having lost a few moral victories in my day and getting thrown off my trusty white steed and having to use duct tape to fix my lance, I can tell you…..IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN.

THAT was the purpose of my post. I can NOT state exactly WHEN I came to the realistic viewpoint that NOTHING of any consequence was going to happen. NADA…..NOTHING, save Sylvia Hatchell being thrown (that is a GREAT GIF) under the bus. Odds are, Bubba has already negotiated with her….she is toast. What is REALLY frightening is that with her health, the public shaming might have a result that copies Jimmy V. The Stress from his public lynching, based on my extensive medical background, was a major contributor to his cancer. Maybe she will be immortalized and have a building named after her.

There was one comment on the afternoon radio sports show….which I rarely listen to, but I had an errand to run….

UNC played it hand quite well…..flawlessly some would say. They controlled the tempo of the investigation and then lobbied amongst the commissioners and powers that be….to “rewrite the rules” and then to use the NEW rules in their case. It was a prime example of how if you have enough lawyers and lobbiests….you TOO, can get favorable regulations….

It is OVER. NCSU will not make any public statement…..except to say that we will have Gender Neutral Potties in the NEW Reynolds….

MrPlywood
    Participant

I stand by my statement. Just stop playing UNC. I’d bet that FSU, GT, Syracuse and Miami would join us given that all got way more from the NCAA and ACC for less. I’d bet that Clemson would too. The ACC would either completely implode or sanction UNC.

That’s the sort of move you don’t make on your own and hope that other schools will join in. It needs to be brokered behind the scenes, and announced as a group. I can easily see State going out on its own and left hanging out there to dry.

RE: the reaction of other schools around the nation, I hope that they are waiting for the final judgement before speaking out, and not just planning to stand by the wayside. But I’m not getting my hopes up.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Hey, Stick, I post very, very occasionally on PP, but I use the same username.

CD, trying hard to keep the faith, man…

ryebread
    Participant

Ply: what’s the worst thing that happens? Would we get kicked out of the ACC? Big deal. We might be better off as an independent, especially as one known to have taken the moral high road. The endowment would grow significantly almost overnight though. That’s a trade I’d be willing to make.

The only move left is the bold one. If I were Chancellir Randy, I’d be working the phones right now.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I was also out at lunch time and leaving a PT session. David Glenn, whom I rarely listen to was ranting and raving. He may be smart. He may be dumb. He may be witting. He may be a lot of things….as well as a Lawyer….and having raised one (UNC ye gads….but he is happy), I can not get my hands around this.

I did a bit of research tonight and came up with his 16 minute segment (rant if you like). I OFTEN listen to political commentators or politicians that I detest….and that I take a shower afterwards…..just to see what they are saying and their logic.

Here is a link to David Glenn’s opening. It has the “TWO REASONS” that you MUST (Should?) KNOW….prior to making comments. Don’t know if I agree, but he seems to make some interesting points.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/david-glenn/two-reasons-unc-case-bad-fit-ncaa/

He DID leave out that the NCAA also “SKIMS” off the top. the NCAA has a CASH RESERVE of almost a BILLION….thats RIGHT….B with BILLION dollars. Their annual report is out there and I read them a few years ago…The amount was about $750 Million, so with additional Skimming and some Market Appreciation….it should be around a BILLION….

Read, listen, comment whatever. I did NOT say that I agreed, but that you always want to have information and process it for yourselves….

Write AD Yow….her email address is public knowledge and she WILL respond….

pakfanistan
    Participant

fullmoon1
    Participant

So, how does one go forward from this point on as a college athletics fan? What’s the point? There is a really good chance I have watched my last ncaa event. I am proud to say that moment was long before the tarheel 2nd place championship finish

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I would guess that other schools will want to make a stink (particularly the ones who have been punished in the recent past), but will wait until punishments are handed down. It’s too early for them to do anything. If there really is just a wrist slap or only the women’s bball program gets punished or if their punishment is less than what other schools have received, it would make more sense for them to wait and see and then start talking.

Rick
    Keymaster

So, how does one go forward from this point on as a college athletics fan? What’s the point? There is a really good chance I have watched my last ncaa event. I am proud to say that moment was long before the tarheel 2nd place championship finish

I am struggling with this as well. If there is no level playing field why bother?

modobrew
    Participant

<span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align:center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geiLmHQYvQ8?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&autohide=2&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent&w=640&h=390%5D</span&gt;

Perfect. And I love these guys. Great concert if you ever get a chance to go see them.

ryebread
    Participant

fullmoon1: Best answer would be to effectively stop, and to definitely stop spending any money towards it. If all they care about is the money, then the only thing that changes it is the money drying up.

It’s really a fantastic model though. Every one of these big schools graduates 7k-15k more customers every single year. The schools want to provide enough winning to hook the kids into giving and spending later. Kids are dumb and idealistic. It takes years for that to dry up.

Where I contend it backfires is when people become jaded and wisen up (towards their peak earning years), they won’t in turn pump the big money in. This is why I think the NCAA is killing the goose. Most 30-40 year olds that I know won’t be giving $$$ towards athletics. When those 60-70 year olds that are giving lots die off, where do the schools go?

highstick
    Participant

Same here ‘Stick, although I do not own another alternative alter ego, anywhere.

The old guys had it right on the first go around, and I am stickin’ with it until disposition day.

“Old guys don’t get to be old guys without gaining some wisdom”…Using that wisdom correctly is the difficult task.

BTW, nasty water from Chocowinity all the way to the Pamlico Sound is disgusting!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

I’ve seen you. I had to slightly modify cause some had grabbed mine first, but I’ve never seen him post.

highstick
    Participant

Plywood said: “That’s the sort of move you don’t make on your own and hope that other schools will join in. It needs to be brokered behind the scenes, and announced as a group. I can easily see State going out on its own and left hanging out there to dry.

In general, I agree, cause we’d screw up the timing most likely…However, that’s what happened with South Carolina and Frank Howard “chickened out”…Funny, maybe Clempson should call themselves the “Coots”!

highstick
    Participant

I am struggling with this as well. If there is no level playing field why bother?

We could all be the Washington Generals…

ncsu1987
    Participant

I’ve seen you. I had to slightly modify cause some had grabbed mine first, but I’ve never seen him post.

Yeah, I knew who you were – from the similar name AND from the content! There’s a short list of posters on PP that I read, but you’re one of them…

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

So, how does one go forward from this point on as a college athletics fan? What’s the point?

This is where I find myself. NCAA won’t care, because I am not a cable subscriber, nor a donor, nor a season ticket holder. I just watch from afar, occasionally taking in a Wolfpack game on local broadcast (ACC Network! YEAH) or going to a Robert Morris game.

But if this is what we think it is, and UNX gets off scott free for the worst cheating ever documented, then I am just done.

From now on I’ll get all my sports fixes from the Pros, where there is at least a facade of a level playing field.

It gives me great pain to say that, because I grew up around the Triangle and the ACC is in my blood.

Hungwolf
    Participant

Best idea I have heard is someone should start an online petition to boycott attending or watching on TV any game UNC Men’s Basketball is playing in protest of their fraud and 20 years of cheating other schools out of the chance at fair play and genuine sportsmanship! I am sure fans from schools all across the country would jump all over this! Send a message to the NCAA, ESPN, other media outlets, and the ACC.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Here is the “Official” response to my inquiry of AD Yow about the UNC situation. I picked up the theme that the lack of discernible action by the BOG besmirches the integrity of the Consolidated UNC System and also copied Mrs. Spellings and Dr. Woodson. Debbie, as usual, popped back within a few minutes….write them all…at LEAST they will know what the sentiment is….

As you know, the process has not yet been completed and will likely take another 4-6 months. At some time during that period, the NCAA will identify the sanctions for the violations. It seems counterproductive to assume what those will be, even though the amended NOA content is considerably different than the original NOA. We will wait to learn how this is ultimately managed before drawing any final conclusions.

I understand your concerns and share them.

We will continue to be diligent to protect against any systemic violations of NCAA rules. Maintaining our integrity matters at NC State and we will not take short cuts in order to win games.

In the spirit of the Pack,

Debbie

modobrew
    Participant

This was the response I received yesterday.

All,

This is a group response because the answer is the same to each request for feedback regarding the amended NOA recently received at Chapel Hill.

As you know, the process has not yet been completed and will likely take another 4-6 months. At some time during that period, the NCAA will identify the sanctions for the violations. It seems counterproductive to assume what those will be, even though the amended NOA content is considerably different than the original NOA. We will wait to learn how this is ultimately managed before drawing any final conclusions.

Please remember that the NCAA has been fair to us as they dealt with the Eric Leak issue, as we disassociated him from our program and trespassed him from campus, in an effort to protect our teams and athletes. I share that as an example because they could have adopted a different approach that would have been more punitive. But they saw us make all the appropriate choices and acknowledged our efforts by deeming the violations as secondary. So, I am appreciative that when they have worked directly with us, they have done so collaboratively.

We will continue to be diligent to protect against any systemic violations of NCAA rules. Maintaining our integrity matters at NC State and we will not take short cuts in order to win games.

In the spirit of the Pack,

Debbie

Rick
    Keymaster

Maintaining our integrity matters at NC State and we will not take short cuts in order to win games.

Truer words were never spoken. We are fighting with two hand tied behind our back. If we are NOT going to play with the big boys we might as well drop to DII.

budfox88
    Participant

I sent DY an email yesterday morn, and got the same plastic response as above from her robo. 1) DY…you cannot POSSIBLY equate the Leak issue with decades of academic fraud, so that is just a giant excuse to do/say nothing (no balls). 2) Why wouldn’t you publicly question the legitimacy of the new NOA with no meat; if you wait until the dust settles, then don’t bitch when nothing happens to the Cheats (too late!), and the joke’s on us. Make some noise DY!!!! 3) That last ppg is the most laughable of all, maintaining OUR integrity has nothing to do with the UNCheat mess, unless we continue to play them. Aren’t we complicit if we continue to play their game? And in doing so, aren’t we sanctioning the NCAA’s handling of this by continuing to play the Cheats? Is keeping quiet so we don’t rock the boat and continue to generate precious revenues part of maintaining our integrity? Sanctimonious BS! And what good has come to us by maintaining our integrity when the NCAA is rotten to the core, as we know it is. Kill 2 birds with one stone, as I suggested in my email yesterday to DY, send notice to the Cheats and the NCAA (one and the same) that we will withdraw from all sporting events with the Cheats going forward. Take a stand and let the chips fall. What good has it been to sit back and get slaughtered by the cheats on an on-going basis while we “maintain our integrity”? So we can sleep an night? I would sleep better at night if DY would tell the Cheats they can shove those sham-ass banners right up their asses, and then tell NCAA they can find another guinea pig to play the Cheats, that from now on, we are playing teams who are more concerned with maintaining their integrity. See, if we put the pressure on now and let it build, the spotlight will get brighter on the NCAA to do something. Doing nothing will only encourage the NCAA to sit on their hands until it all just goes away. Ah hell, I know that’s just fantasy anyway.

packof81
    Participant

So we don’t want to make waves with the NCAA because they might get mad and penalize us more severely over the Eric Leak issue. Maybe I’m ignorant but I wasn’t aware the NCAA ever had anything on us because of Eric Leak’s activities anyway.

The broad consensus is that the NCAA has set the table for NOT taking down the men’s BBall banners. So when they follow through on this, will we then be told that it’s too late, that ship has sailed?

ncsu1987
    Participant

Maintaining our integrity matters at NC State and we will not take short cuts in order to win games.

Truer words were never spoken. We are fighting with two hand tied behind our back. If we are NOT going to play with the big boys we might as well drop to DII.

Integrity matters to me, and it’s why I think a lot of us are struggling with the whole idea now. Rick, glad to see others share the sentiment.

Again, I will await the COI before final judgement, but if the field of play remains blatantly unbalanced, I would rather not play. DII sounds fine to me.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Not one of Yow’s finer moments. Good golly.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.