It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

Yogi,
    Thanks
    From what I am reading you should not use it until after teh spring. So I will use it but a little later on.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Growing Carolina Reaper peppers this year.

highstick
    Participant

Why do you want to kill weeds in bermuda? It is a danged weed! Wish I could kill every blade of it in our neighborhood cause the people just let the seeds blow all over my nice fescue!

If you’re trying to kill the bermuda, use Ornamec, but you have to wait until later in the year to spray and it could take you 2-4 years to wipe it out. I did a massive spraying in my front yard last year and it looked pretty grim until a few weeks ago when the fescue started coming back.

I need to clean my asparagus box out and put in new soil and compost to start all over. Got a lot out of it, but it’s run it’s cycle. I’ve seen the fellow down here with the hot peppers in Rock Hill, but I have not tried one. I know my limits!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

TheCOWDOG

I gave up meticulous lawncare. If it’s green I let it go til it’s about 3 inches, and mow it…Kinda like my locks. Not that the locks are green.

Those fools in Alpha’s post remind me to not go back to those days. I fancy a lip burn, followed by a mild back one.

Boa constrictor heat ain’t in the gameplan. Sweat under the eyes is acceptable. Taking a wizz after working the hot ones…NOT!

YogiNC
    Participant

Stick, getting rid of bermuda is simple, grow centipede and then spray with Poast which kills all grasses except centipede. The nice thing about centipede is it rarely grows higher than 3 inches (take note CD, you’d never have to mow) and it doesn’t grow in winter and it chokes most weeds out.

Smarter than the average bear

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Cowdog, I’m growing those peppers mainly to give away to friends, and perhaps give some to by BIL to sell at the Farmer’s Market too. I’ve got some former co-workers who love hot peppers and giving them a few of them is nearly free entertainment.

Thing is, they’re a great novelty item that you can use: dip one in a pot of chili for 10-20 seconds and then throw it away. The chili will have a nice spicy heat that’s not overwhelming. Same thing for a BBQ sauce, like what you’d use to grill wings.

highstick
    Participant

I go with wheat straw and weeds before I’ll ever have another centipede lawn. I grew up sprigging that stuff in the two houses that my parents built..Had it in Beaufort, SC and Florence and just got tired of it. It is easy to maintain, but I just like green stuff…I don’t mind cutting it if I’m riding and drinking a beer either.

But, I have had a much smaller lot during the last 15 years so the mowing isn’t bad at all. The aggravating part has been not being able to aerate, fertilize, and reseed in the fall because of business travel…I’ve fixed that situation AGAIN…Last time I retired, I was out in the yard the next morning raking pinestraw thinking “is this retirement”???

Alpha, did you grow the Reapers from seed or plants? I may have to look for a couple of the plants tomorrow at the local farm and garden store. I used to park in the yard of a house behind Darlington Raceway twice a year at the races. Got to be friends with the couple who lived there. One year she gave me a bag of habineros that she’d grown. Went to the john during the race and set my “nutsack” on fire…After the race, went home, took a shower and we were eating dinner…I rubbed my eye and the fire was back on again!!! You couldn’t even touch those things without burning, so I would need to be very careful with the reapers.

highstick
    Participant

Uh, oh…Looks like Reaper II may be in the offing..

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/03/local-company-behind-worlds-hottest-pepper-makes.html

fullmoon1
    Participant

I haven’t got mine tilled yet but I plan on cukes, tomatoes, green peppers and maybe some beans. Anyone do any canning?

RaisedByWolves
    Participant

Our garden consists of whatever volunteers pop out of the compost pile. The annual harvest usually consists of about 10 cherry tomatoes, of which we are inordinately proud. We do not plan to do any canning. 🙂

TheCOWDOG

Sure,I jar and or freeze most everything.

I usually do 3 types of pickles, Italian hot cherry peppers,and jalapenos.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Gardening days are past me now – we’ve embraced maintenance free condo living. But I avidly support other local gardeners through our farmer’s market. Love reading about the adventures, though.

Pepper discussion brings back memories – suite mate of mine at Lee dorm and I made many a batch of chili on our “super secret and highly illegal hot plates”. We typically stuck to cayenne and habañero, and that was plenty of punch for me. We discovered hot-plate chinese food and once made some chili with left over tien tsin peppers, but they seemed pretty much like cayennes so we never tried it again…

Dudes in Alpha’s post are just bat-sh*t crazy….

highstick
    Participant

I got too wrapped up in finishing tax season today and didn’t make it to Ft. Mill to get the Reapers. Hopefully he’ll have 2-3 plants left when I get back from my trip and can get things seriously planted. We’re being invaded by the canker worms right now so I’m probably just as well off in delaying planting the garden.

pakfanistan
    Participant

My soil suuuccckkkssss. Also, I’m learning plants require all manner of wildly different conditions to grow properly.

But that’s mostly because my soil doesn’t meet the needs of ANY plant other than dandelions.

The blackberries seem hale, but they’re effectively a weed anyway.

I wanted that white picket fence, hometown USA, perfectly green manicured lawn. After hours of labor, I like CDs let whatever grow three inches and mow it philosophy.

YogiNC
    Participant

pakfan, for those who do not want to mow often but still want a decent lawn CENTIPEDE. It is referred to as the lazy man’s grass since you can let if grow for weeks without mowing. While having runners it is not as aggressive as bermuda in that respect. It will grow almost anywhere and is best grown from sprigs (although seeds can work). Lot’s of places sell sod and you can just use 1 foot square pieces to get a lawn growing with minimum watering once the roots take hold. It will choke out most weeds and requires very little in the way of fertilizer to do well. LAZY MAN’S GRASS.

44rules
    Participant

I always thought sensimilla was the lazy man’s grass. 🙂

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

YogiNC
    Participant

44, COMPLETELY different paradigm!

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Yogi the negative I’ve experienced with centipede is it’s just not resilient with regard to traffic. When we moved into our house in 2005 we had a good (not great) stand of centipede in the front and back yard. Between the dog and the kids, the back yard is basically only 25% centipede. I’ve still got about 80% coverage in the front yard, but I anticipate the kids’ electric tractor and four wheeler are gonna have that down to 50% by next spring. I’m sure this is common knowledge and I’m not telling you guys anything you don’t already know.
    All that said I haven’t done very good with regular maintenance. I’d basically put out weed and feed or fertilizer once a year and I aerated maybe 3 times.
    I’ve got some St. Augustines coming in from my neighbor’s front yard and I’m hoping it will really take over everywhere. My laziness really has me leaning to CD’s approach to the lawn.

WRT the garden, I recently planted my okra seeds but haven’t done anything since. I’ll get the old lady to go get me some pepper slips to put in this weekend (habaneros, jalapenos, hot & sweet banana) and I may plant a few lima and/or green beans. Cuc seeds will also go in this weekend weather permitting.

YogiNC
    Participant

DSD, 10-10-10 is your friend. Centipede is not a high nitrogen grass which is what most weed and feeds are. I’ve got 3 dogs in my backyard and the centipede survives the winters with them. I do aerate a bit but not extensively every other year. Feed the pede some 10-10-10 or even better find some tobacco fertilizer that is low nitrogen and pop some ironite to it, I’ll bet you’ll be amazed at how much better it does. I’ve been mowing it and growing it for 50 years, mine greened up this week and it’s beautiful.

44rules
    Participant

Used to love gardening when I had a house with a yard. Tomatoes, okra, many varieties of hot peppers and sweet peppers. If you like peppers and can find something called an Italian sweet pepper, plant them instead of bell peppers. They bear better, are more tolerant, tasty and grow to a beautiful Wolfpack red if you leave them on the vine long enough. And you have enough of them that you can eat plenty of green ones while you’re waiting for a few to ripen up.

Grass, however, is an emissary from Satan. I hate cutting grass with every fiber of my soul. If I ever move back into a house, I’m looking into Astroturf.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

highstick
    Participant

Sure is a lot of grass in Kentucky! Cowdog will appreciate this…Stopped at Keeneland on Wednesday for the 6th and 7th races. Bet 5 horses and collected money on 3…Actually, my wife won on both of her bets and I won on 1 of 3…

Lake Michigan doesn’t smell like the Atlantic and there’s no tide! Into Chitown today!

TheCOWDOG

Now, you wanna talk manacured landscape…Keeneland is darn sure the purtiest track in this country.

YogiNC
    Participant

CD, I’m pretty partial to Saratoga.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I have a couple of banana plants. I topped and wrapped them over the winter so the stalks stayed intact. I had one tall one that I’m hoping will reach 10 feet this year. It already has one large leaf with more on the way. They rarely fruit up here, but they are nice to look at. 🙂

TheCOWDOG

The Banana Man! That ties right in with Mr. Greenjeans.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.