It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

That Carolina Reaper can register as high as 2,000,000 on the Scoville heat index. Thanks, but no thanks. I like to taste my food.

I do have a Ghost Pepper plant at 850k to 1M, but my go to for flavor/spice is the African Piri Piri, at 50-80k.

The Scotch Bonnett roles in at 350k, for 78’s info.

Wow that is how
    I used to love hot food but as I have gotten older the next day “ring of fire” is not worth it.

JasonP
    Participant

Piri Piri is good stuff. Serranos are my favorite though. As for the Reaper, I’ve seen the hot sauces that use it but have not yet seen the actual pepper. Was it developed in “Carolina”?

YogiNC
    Participant

2,4 D will kill weeds in bermuda.

Smarter than the average bear

YogiNC
    Participant

The Reaper was developed in Rock Hill, SC, just over the state line. They do have good flavor CD but most people have to tame them a bit by using a tiny tiny bit in sauce. I had some chili about a month ago that was delicious. It burned my lips but wasn’t that hot. The guy who made it said he used a piece of the pepper about the size of an pencil eraser and the chili pot was probably 2 quarts.

Since74
    Participant

I remember Mr. Greenjeans and ping pong ball rain.

Sorry Rick but don’t recall the Zoom Zoom song but did walk the circle with Uncle Paul. Please keep your “weed killer” away from my planters at work. May not be so kind to all “grasses”. Good luck with your Bermuda.

Rick
    Keymaster

2,4 D will kill weeds in bermuda.

What is 2,4 D? And will it hurt the bermuda?

PackerInRussia
    Participant

“What’s In Your Garden?”

Snow. Stupid Russia.

I remember Mr. Greenjeans, but they’re only vague memories; I was really young.

TheCOWDOG

I call BS Ruskie. You’ve got 2 months of prime potato vodka stashed in that snow garden.

AsheWolf
    Participant

Russians can grow them some taters. From the potato we get fries, chips and vodka. Every other vegetable needs to bow down.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ashe… where’s your organic farm… we need to talk…

Killing bermuda grass… 100% proven…. three crops of soybeans and wheat… no sun === no bermuda
    roundup will not do the same…

Ya’ll let me know if ya’ll need any organic fertilizers, soil amendments, nutrients, compost tea … etc..
    I GOTT a inside connection… 15% off for all my SFN buddies…

in other news.. did ya’ll read where Scott’s Miracle Gro BOUGHT General Hydroponics last week….
    Earthshattering news to some…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

What is 2,4 D? And will it hurt the bermuda?

it’s a weed killer, lots of different names. Best place to buy it though is agri supply, best price in town, they have a large display of it. Get the amine kind and get a gallon, depending on the size of your yard may last a season or two. Will kill weeds in all grasses, centipede can be a bit touchy with it but I’ve used it on everything in all types of grasses. If there is a cotton field near you though be careful, it will wilt cotton. I have 4 acres and I spray the stuff with a boom sprayer.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

In the Northern part of Central VA, just east of the Blue Ridge, our last day for Frost is May 7th so I’ve got out all the hardy stuff like potatoes, cabbage (red and green), yellow onions, Kale (wintered over and getting ready to pick), a few turnips (nobody eats em but me, same with beets, and lettuce. The asparagus will be popping up soon. A tip for those that don’t know you can get a fall crop of asparagus as well if you mow it down in early Sept. Just have to fertilize a little over the winter to make up for the nutrient loss. I’m trying to go all Heirloom but some of the stuff don’t taste exactly right. Can’t find a good tomato to replace better boys. In the window, my red, green and jalapeno peppers are starting to come up. That’s all I started inside this year. Since changing jobs and traveling less, I hope to revive my once robust 40 x 80 foot garden.

And I did watch the Captain as a kid and Willard Scott as Ronald McDonald as well on the local TV channel (think it was 5 in DC.)

CD, hope Gov. Jerry’s water rationing don’t put the kabash on your garden.

YogiNC
    Participant

WolftownVA81, my favorite heirloom maters are giant Belgium pinks and Wisconsin. The giants are really big and very tasty, especially on a mater sandwich. One slice from the middle will completely cover a slice of bread.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I had some chili about a month ago that was delicious. It burned my lips but wasn’t that hot. The guy who made it said he used a piece of the pepper about the size of an pencil eraser and the chili pot was probably 2 quarts.

You sound just like my grandfather. Dude used to grow the hottest peppers he could find, progressively hotter and hotter over the years. His lips and tongue might blister, sweat running down his face, but he would NEVER admit they were hot. Obstinate old cuss.

But he just turned 97 last month so maybe there’s something to be said for cleaning one’s self out via the pepper method.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Am I the only one who walked the circle with Uncle Paul? Or sang along to the Zoom Zoom theme song?

Is this what you’re talking about Rick? I remember having a crush on Nina, fwiw.

choppack1
    Participant

Wuf – she was like, the worst dancer on there…fwiw – the first female on TV that peaked my interest was Catwoman. I can’t remember the girls on electric company, vaguely remember a mickey mouse club girl, but Catwoman…surprised they showed that one @ 3pm.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^ Wuf, they sure don’t make them like that anymore; despite weed being legal in some places now.

Oh, we’ve got the taters. They’re in a bin in our pantry. Tater planting is still a month away. That’s what the May holidays are for. Everyone will go out to their dacha or their parents’ house in the village where every bit of land they own is converted into plantable space and they’ll spend all week planting potatoes. I went to a friend’s house in the village over a year ago and they had just tons and tons of potatoes stored up for their small family; probably about a million more than they needed to get by. He filled up a huge sack or two for me to take home. (By the way, that same guy just got running water for the first time last year; hand dug a ditch about 10 feet deep from the main pipe to the house) They don’t play around when it comes to potatoes. Extreme gardening. Or survival gardening. Or apocalypse gardening.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Oh, and speaking of gardening being a sport (I just noticed the tag), mushroom picking is considered a sport here. As is chess.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Wuf – she was like, the worst dancer on there…fwiw – the first female on TV that peaked my interest was Catwoman. I can’t remember the girls on electric company, vaguely remember a mickey mouse club girl, but Catwoman…surprised they showed that one @ 3pm.

At that age, my requirements weren’t too stringent. She was a girl…good ’nuff.

But yeah, Catwoman. Forgot about her. I was also partial to Mary-Ann on Gilligan’s Island, Sam on Bewitched, and of course Jeannie. Holy crap…Jeannie.

YogiNC
    Participant

LOL @ “mushroom picking is a sport”, 40 some years ago I played that game and lost (3 days I DO NOT REMEMBER WHATSOEVER). Needless to say I don’t have any of those in my garden.

YUM on Mary-Ann, and of course Ann Margret, YOW! I had a numbered list of my favorites when I was 13 (can you say puberty kicked in?).

On a different subject I finished my homemade disc hiller/cultivator yesterday and that thing rocks. Perfect rows, easily adjustable for width, height and furrow depth.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

the first female on TV that peaked my interest was Catwoman.

Which one?
    Julie Newmar
    Eartha Kitt
    Lee Meriwether

Wufpacker
    Participant

the first female on TV that peaked my interest was Catwoman.

Which one?
    Julie Newmar
    Eartha Kitt
    Lee Meriwether

Not a bad one in the bunch IMHO. The Michelle, Halle and Anne Hathaway versions have all been very OK by me as well fwiw (which is not necessarily intended as an endorsement of the films in which those first two were ogled).

Additionally, Anne Hathaway was also noteworthy in her reprise of the Agent 99 role, despite the fact that Barbara Feldman never really did it for me.

Rick
    Keymaster

Am I the only one who walked the circle with Uncle Paul? Or sang along to the Zoom Zoom theme song?

Is this what you’re talking about Rick? I remember having a crush on Nina, fwiw.

Yes that is it. I can still hear that song.

Rick
    Keymaster

it’s a weed killer, lots of different names. Best place to buy it though is agri supply, best price in town, they have a large display of it. Get the amine kind and get a gallon, depending on the size of your yard may last a season or two. Will kill weeds in all grasses, centipede can be a bit touchy with it but I’ve used it on everything in all types of grasses. If there is a cotton field near you though be careful, it will wilt cotton. I have 4 acres and I spray the stuff with a boom sprayer.

Yogi,
    The bottle says to not use amine on bermuda. I am in a new house and my lawn is all bermuda and I am worried about ruining it. Have you used it on bermuda?

YogiNC
    Participant

Here’s the link for the most common version of the product.

Click to access 2_4-D.pdf

Centipede, bentgrass and St. Augustine can experience some problems. I’ve never had a problem with Bermuda and until 4 years ago I had 4 acres of it. Since then I’ve converted all to centipede (tired of all the mowing involved with a top notch Bermuda lawn). There are other products and if you don’t feel comfortable with 2,4-d don’t use it but it’s the cheapest and most effective on broadleafs. Cimarron Plus is good stuff but EXPENSIVE. I only used that to control bahia but it also killed broadleaf weeds. There are several other products that work but most are considered controlled and only for use on pastures and sod farms. You can procure them (ebay is a good source) but if you use ’em and cause a problem for your neighbor (kill their fescue) watch out.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.