It's Time to Plow and Time to Plant — Spring 2017 Garden Thread….

Home Forums All StateFansNation It's Time to Plow and Time to Plant — Spring 2017 Garden Thread….

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 244 total)
  • Author
    highstick
    Participant

I’d thought about sand too…Good advice…on the sand and the weed control.

I wasn’t as sore this morning..reminds me of football camp in high school…it hurt less every day…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

YogiNC
    Participant

Yeah, but those first few days were killer! I don’t miss that or the stinky locker room. Nuf Said!

Smarter than the average bear

packplantpath
    Participant

Metsulfuron is generally bought under the cimarron label. Very good for broadleaf weeds in turf. We use pastora on Bermuda hay and it is metsulfuron with an additional chemical for better crabgrass control. Does have some burn, but works great for coastal. No clue on turf grasses.

YogiNC
    Participant

Here is a link to an outstanding article on what chemicals work for different types of grasses to control weeds and other grasses within the preferred grass you want.

control weeds and grasses

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yogi, et al …

What your best thinking about nematodes in Saint Augustine ???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

NASTY! Here’s one of the best things I’ve found on them.

Nemetode Management in Lawns

Personal experience with centipede way back when was not too good. Friend of mine swears by Bifen for grub worms and fire ants and he said it works on the todes too, but that article doesn’t mention it. I have no idea why he would think it worked on todes too but he is a State AG graduate.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Thanks Yogi !!!

highstick
    Participant

Well, got me a helper Saturday and we finished laying the sod. Probably need about another 100 sq feet or so to finish. Getting ready to do the final rolling. Looking good and supposed to have rain today and tomorrow! I survived!

rthomas44
    Participant

Rain for the third straight day, 57 degrees. Foliar disease coming!

TheCOWDOG

Rain for the third straight day, 57 degrees. Foliar disease coming!

I was thinking the same.

Fastback68
    Participant

Anybody else experiencing a wildlife explosion this year. Rabbits, squirrels, geese, deer and turtles of all things. The sheer number of them is insane.

Pack78
    Participant

^Yep-also seems to be a banner year for snakes and ticks…

highstick
    Participant

^Yep-also seems to be a banner year for snakes and ticks…

No kidding, when I started laying sod last week, I noticed a steady stream of little bugs crossing my sidewalk…then I realized they were those litte ass ticks…I stopped everything and sprayed with Sevin.

So far, no snakes…Most of our copperhead population stays at the lower end of our neighborhood, but danged it they don’t get big!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

2.5″ of rain and 58* Thursday am…

bugs and diseases starting to appear…

and something I’ve never noticed before… little green and black house flies everywhere…
    more than the frogs and lizards can catch…

YogiNC
    Participant

The inverted springtime has brought many strange things. I have various versions of fungi/molds growing on the ground. Some fuzzy black, others a yellow/orange goo. Ideas on how to rid myself of this?

tractor57
    Participant

Less rain? – yes I know that is obvious but had to say it.

Gowolves
    Participant

I am growing some giant jalapeño peppers and I have something eating holes in the leaves. Anybody have a clue what and what I can do to stop it.

On a side note I installed a inexpensive watering system from Lowes and a timer. Being a boring tax accountant I figured out how to set it up. My potted tomatoes have never looked so good. Before it was too dry and wet all the time. Shocked the hell out of them. Little fruit harvest.

Also what are people’s opinion of pruning tomato plants? I pull the suckers but I have read its a matter of preference when it comes to cutting some of the lower branches off.

packplantpath
    Participant

The inverted springtime has brought many strange things. I have various versions of fungi/molds growing on the ground. Some fuzzy black, others a yellow/orange goo. Ideas on how to rid myself of this?

Yellow orange goo sounds like what mycologists call dog vomit. It is a slime mold fuligo septica. Most often found in wet years on mulch. There is no control that I know of. It’s harmless and won’t last long. Heat and dry take care of it.

highstick
    Participant

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155754965@N05/shares/322S3v

Prep and tilling

highstick
    Participant

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155754965@N05/shares/090LB8

Sodded and growing well as of 6-11-17.

highstick
    Participant

We had a neighborhood block party this afternoon and got a ton of comments on how good the yard looked and “what kind of grass is that”?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ninety degrees today and we need a little shower…

‘Maters turning orange and red… my fingers are still crossed on that…
    plenty of beans, cukes, squash and beets coming in…

Picked the okra twice now…

——————-

Anybody know… how big eggplant is supposed to get before you pull it???

highstick
    Participant

We need some rain too…Grass is doing well, but garden is struggling and the critters aren’t helping.. Stopped into the Gander Mountain close out today and picked up a new pellet rifle with a scope…When I get it zeroed, the wabbits and squirrels are gonna be hurting!

YogiNC
    Participant

Stick, I got 3 dogs and a wife that would use a gun on me if I bothered the sacred wabbits and squirrels. That’s their daily entertainment watching them. Lats year I got so tired of the squirrels planting corn all over my yard. I had it coming up all over until well into November.

highstick
    Participant

Stick, I got 3 dogs and a wife that would use a gun on me if I bothered the sacred wabbits and squirrels. That’s their daily entertainment watching them. Lats year I got so tired of the squirrels planting corn all over my yard. I had it coming up all over until well into November.

I understand, but my wife is just as ticked off with the critters as I am. She does a lot of the garden work and she’d strangle a rabbit or squirrel with her bare hands if she could catch one.

I made the mistake of disposing of some old deer corn under a bird feeder a couple of years ago…Had corn stalks popping up all over the back yard the next spring.

Good rain last night and today…Seams in the zoysia are filling in really good. Bill’s chemicals must be working!

BTW, we finally got a mater this year. Keeping my fingers crossed cause I have not had any to freeze in 3 years. I even put a couple in my rose garden to fool the squirrels.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.