It's Time to Plow and Time to Plant — Spring 2017 Garden Thread….

Home Forums All StateFansNation It's Time to Plow and Time to Plant — Spring 2017 Garden Thread….

Viewing 19 posts - 226 through 244 (of 244 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

One thing I read this winter was UGA did a study and found maters grow best in the south with a 30% shade. I built a frame over 2 of my raised beds that have the maters in them and put shade cloth up and I have more on the vine than I can ever remember. The frame is going to be my making of a greenhouse when fall comes. Also put peppers and a few other things with the maters and they all are going like gangbusters. Must be something to that shade thing.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^That the second time this season, I’ve heard of the Maters in shade thing…
    Trying that down here to extend the season…

Picked the first Maters this week…
    They got the right bite, waiting for them to finish ripening to see if they turn sweet…

I put my maters and peppers together this time… won’t ever do that again…
    Maters will take all the water you want to give ’em… Peppers want about 1/2 as much… worst crop of peppers I’ve ever seen and the best ‘maters in years — all in the same row… nope… won’t do that again….

———————

Getting some good rain this week after 10 dry and hot days…
    but “Cindy” is still 400 miles away, so we’ll wait and see how that turns out…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

Botb, I put my maters down the center of 2 of my raised beds and the peppers near the edge. I put DIY drip irrigation down the center so the maters get the majority of the water when I’m feeding water to the beds. I currently have cayenne’s galore. Also put my onions and shallots down the edge, never seen them do so well in the summer. The shade is the trick from what I see.

On another note my serendipity corn will be coming off within the next week, I can’t wait. That’s the best corn I’ve ever eaten, bar none. Peas and pole beans are climbing up the corn. My pickling cukes are exploding too! Those are my favs. The 4th ought to be a celebration of food from the garden, which it should be.

rthomas44
    Participant

Amateurs.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Biggest surprise of the season —

I’ve never grown Eggplants, so I planted 5 black ones and 3 white ones mid April…

As it turns out, they love heat and humidity more than okra…

They’re 4-6 tall…

They started coming in slow… picked 6-8 then Monday two weeks ago they exploded. I counted 30 hanging on the plants. Picked 10 that week and last Monday, I counted 24 still hanging. Picked 10 more last week, and this morning there are 23 still hanging…

That’s 26 picked total, 23 coming in the next two weeks and plenty of blooms in the top of the plants….

Nobody knew how to cook ’em, so we started a Eggplant Recipe Contest — Winner gets free Eggplants.

Lemme know if you want some, I can ship ’em to you….

YogiNC
    Participant

BOTB, slice ’em and bread ’em like squash. YUM! And don’t let ’em grow too big, the skin is much more tender the smaller they are. My garden has exploded, my second crop of corn is just starting to form ears and the purple hull peas are everywhere in two of my beds. Maters galore, that 30% shade cloth is da bomb! That Serendipity corn is one really sweet hybrid. Bought a vacuum sealer just for the corn and about 1/3 of a freezer is already full with it. Most of the next crop will be give aways and quick cook. I could eat that stuff for every meal. The other day I ate an ear right off the stalk, was like eating candy. Can’t get fresher than that. Hot peppers are doing the deed too! I love having fresh veggies!

highstick
    Participant

Another of my wife’s tomato theories blown away. She keeps saying it’s too much shade…I keep saying, “no, you don’t water them”! My peppers don’t do much until “her maters” die from lack of moisture so the theory is holding!!!

Let me see if I can find the Eggplant Parmesan recipe for you guys…I’m ok with it for a while, but I get tired of eggplant and squash really fast now..

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

McCallum
    Participant

Planted nothing.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

You’ll never harvest if you don’t plant….

Pack78
    Participant

^Yeah-I read somewhere that ye will reap whatever ye sow…

McCallum
    Participant

How about I plant a foot in your backsides?

This white man has been busy. Beyond the typical 10 to 15 letters a week to the Huffington Post, I’ve been studying French and writing a book on Julius Chambers and the heirs to his legacy who just had a gun battle on the Grand Strand at Myrtle Beach.

I don’t need to plant a garden to feel good about myself. After all, I use recycled, recycled paper bags to dispose of my recycled biodegradable eco-friendly caffeine free herbal tea from Yusihi China which was voted least town to succeed in all of China.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

This white man has been busy.

Bro Mc…

Seems you may have missed the universal agricultural metaphor..

We’re pretty sure you’ve been planting and cultivating something with the hope of a positive outcome, albeit not necessarily in the soil….

At the least, we’re certain that some amount of manure has been spread somewhere….

Remember, my feet are bigger than your’s….

rthomas44
    Participant

I hereby respectfully request the monitor to kill this thread before the rumble begins.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Birds ate my dang blackberry >:[

highstick
    Participant

How about I plant a foot in your backsides?

This white man has been busy. Beyond the typical 10 to 15 letters a week to the Huffington Post, I’ve been studying French and writing a book on Julius Chambers and the heirs to his legacy who just had a gun battle on the Grand Strand at Myrtle Beach.

I don’t need to plant a garden to feel good about myself. After all, I use recycled, recycled paper bags to dispose of my recycled biodegradable eco-friendly caffeine free herbal tea from Yusihi China which was voted least town to succeed in all of China.

McCallum

You do understand that if you write those letters in French, no one from UnC could understand them? I’d reconsider and take Swahili….Oh, yeah, I forgot, they don’t speak Swahili either!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Remember, you can’t harvest if you don’t plant….

As promised, with 8 days left to kickoff…
    Mr. Stick’s front yard looks better than what’s in Carter Stadium….

How ya’ll doing???

POP!!!

Fastback68
    Participant

Winter rye goes in next week. Hopefully will green up before now season.

McCallum
    Participant

Fall army worm alert!

McCallum

highstick
    Participant

After a “brief, but painful attack of diverticutis, and the death of one of my younger golf partners, my zoysia has been properly trimmed and back to the “recommended mowing height”. Planning for next year growing zoysia and thinking about purchasing a M-60 to rid rabbits and squirrels from by neighborhood. I’ve played “Carlos Hathcock” this summer with the pellet rifle…Wonder how many of you know Carlos!

Viewing 19 posts - 226 through 244 (of 244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.