Is TJ Warren the best basketball player we\'ve had since David Thompson?

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Is TJ Warren the best basketball player we\'ve had since David Thompson?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Good….

Your ‘Cocks are sticking it to those pussycats from Lexington….
    Must be fun during roundball season living south of Hwy 76/74 with all those high quality games in the SEC.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Best basketball player since David Thompson? Jeremy Hyatt.

TheCOWDOG

KC from DC

Kenny Carr

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Julius Hodge was a game changer too.

Monroe was awesome.

Going to miss TJ terribly.

Thompson was tops. Don’t remember him playing but incredible on film and he made us great.

TheCOWDOG

For Kenny Carr fans…here’s one for the world works in mysterious ways.

About an hour after I posted last night, a couple of old friends that had been saucin’, called.

They wanted to know if I remembered a drinking game we used to play called signs.

Yes, of course I remembered. Then I asked them if they remembered who introduced us to the game.

Yep. KC from DC. He also owns the only Olympic Gold medal that I’ve ever held in the palm of my hand.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I have only very, very vague childhood memories of KC. Never seen any TV highlights of his era (unlike DT).

Texpack
    Participant

Kenny Carr led the ACC in scoring and rebounding one year and was not voted POY. That’s the other thing I remember about him.

Pike84
    Participant

Kenny Carr was outstanding. Found his stats on gopack However, I’m still sticking with TJ as best since DT. We’re comparing him to people who played three and four years and with better talent around him.

He was playing 1 on 5 against Miami on Saturday and almost won.

But regardless of who we all like, they were all good. Anyway, enjoyed the conversation, thanks to all who participated.

Kenny Carr
    All-American: 1976 – Citizens Savings Foundation (1st), The Sporting News (1nd), UPI (3rd); 1977 – The Sporting News (1st), AP?(HM).

One of the finest all-around players in NC?State history … Ranked sixth in career scorering and 11th in rebounding in school record books … Was a member of the gold-medal winning USA Olympic team in 1976 … Led the ACC?in scoring as a sophomore (26.6 ppg) and junior (21.0 ppg) … Was a first-team All-ACC selection as a sophomore and junior … Named to the All-ACC?Tournament team twice … As a sophomore, recorded games of 44 and 45 points against Duke, and also 40 against Western Kentucky that season … Was the sixth overall selection in the 1977 NBA draft.

Year G FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Reb-Avg A Pts Avg
    1974-75 28 158-301 .525 70-101 .693 201-7.2 19 386 13.8
    1975-76 30 322-607 .530 154-218 .706 310-10.3 62 798 26.6
    1976-77 28 230-467 .493 128-198 .646 278-9.9 48 588 21.0
    Totals 86 710-1375 .516 353-517 .680 789-9.2 129 1772 20.6

highstick
    Participant

^Good….

Your ‘Cocks are sticking it to those pussycats from Lexington….<br>
    Must be fun during roundball season living south of Hwy 76/74 with all those high quality games in the SEC.

Roundball? A baseball is round and I don’t have to put up with Swofford, Roy, or any unnecessary BS…What is basketball, Bill? Except a game that has been ruined! Play it by the rule book again and I might pay attention!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

Lexington? Is that in Pickens County?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

xphoenix87

You know, I read this thread this afternoon and thought “best since DT? No way.” After tonight I might believe it.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

Yes.

tractor57
    Participant

I remember sitting on the sidelines near mid court when KC and Tate Armstrong of Duke had a shoot out. Paige and TJ’s shoot out was an imitation of the earlier one. As much as I like TJW Kenny is the best I have ever seen in a State uni since DT.

WeAreCured
    Participant

Yes. He is one bad, bad man. He has strong juju.

tractor57
    Participant

After the Pitt game TJW has moved to my number 2 but not passed KC.

Texpack
    Participant

Warren took over the game last night like only a few State players. Performances like that justify this discussion. I hope he stays.

YogiNC
    Participant

Thompson had at least two things TJ doesn’t, Burleson and Towe, plus some other supporting cast, but without those two we don’t win that championship in 74. That being said I think if TJ came back and had another year like this one then he’d maybe pass KC. Carr was a beast though and only Dean’s whining and crying made the writers pass him by. Matter of fact Dean hardly played him in the Olympics and that still pisses me off.

Smarter than the average bear

Sweet jumper
    Participant

Kenny Carr is definitely the best player at State since DT. He was amazing.

44rules
    Participant

A little misremembering about the Dudley Bradley debacle. We were down at halftime (40-19 if I remember) and stormed back in the second half to take that lead. Then Clyde dribbled into the trap.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

ryebread
    Participant

On topic, Warren is our best all around player since Hodge, and the best scorer we’ve had since Monroe. That makes him one of our 3 best players in the last 20+ years, which makes him a very special player.

I tend to think he’s a cross of both of them. I agree with a lot of what BJD said about the similarities with Monroe and his ability to score. Monroe was better outside, but Warren can get in and fight around the rim and go dunk. In that respect he’s more like Hodge, who was the consummate slasher despite his thin frame. Like both Hodge and Monroe, Warren also has the will to win.

It’s a shame that the ACC has fallen so far that a player such as Warren isn’t going to get the national recognition that he deserves. If we were the RPI #1 league right now, then he’d absolutely be getting All American type recognition, even with us muddling along. As it sits now, he’s just the leading scorer on an average team, in a good, but not great league.

Expansion has really hurt the ACC’s basketball product. Yes, I understand that Miami, VT and BC have at times been competitive, that Syracuse and Pitt are primed for top 5 finishes their first year in the league and that Louisville is coming. I would argue though that more often than not, VT, BC and Miami will be near the bottom (though Larranaga at Miami is interesting) and that ND and Pitt will level out around mid-conference and that we don’t know what is going to happen with Syracuse and Louisville (particularly Syracuse) when their coaches soon retire.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I am now changing my vote to “yes.”

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes for me as well. He may go off for 50 in one of these tourney games.

Pack Leader
    Participant

Maybe Im alone on this (or maybe I’m just too young to remember the greats like DT, Carr or Shakelford) but I thought Todd Fuller was one of the more complete big men we have seen come through. While with NC State, he led the ACC in scoring during his senior year with 20.9 ppg and 9.9 rpg. He was an Academic All-American, and declined to accept a Rhodes Scholarship to the University of Oxford in order to play professional basketball. He was also inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude in 1996 with a bachelor of science in applied mathematics from NC State. Really just an all around great guy…

StateFans
    Keymaster

If he would stay one more year I think the conversation would be a home run. But, the accomplishments of folks who stayed longer are hard to overcome. Hodge has four years. Corch finished his career as the all time leading assist man in NCAA Basketball history. Rodney Monroe also one player of the year and finished his career as the 2nd leading scorer in the program’s history.

Wulfpack
    Participant

You are not alone Pack Leader. I love me some Fuller. Boy was he steady.

In my mind, Warren is there. He is a freaking animal. Definitely putting him above Hodge.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.