Is TJ Warren the best basketball player we\'ve had since David Thompson?

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Is TJ Warren the best basketball player we\'ve had since David Thompson?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Pike84
    Participant

In light of all of the negative ref stuff, was trying to be positive and really thinking how much I enjoy watching TJ Warren play.

The more I watch him, the more convinced I am that he is the best player since D Thompson. As only a sophomore and I’m sure his last year, I still think he is playing better than say Hodge, Monroe, C Corch or even Guggliota (sp?) or anybody from the ’83 team, who all stayed 4 years.

Anybody else think he’s that good or am I reaching for anything positive?

pakfanistan
    Participant

He’s a great player, but those are some big shoes to fill.

Gugliotta was an NBA all-star.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Close. I’m sure Monroe was better. The rest of the “Top 5,” I can see the argument either way.

Pike84
    Participant

Granted on TG. I remember watching him come into his own in a tournament in Charlotte. Pepsi Classic, I think. Not sure if that was his soph or jr year. He was really good towards the end of his career in Raleigh.

I think the difference is TJ has no future NBA players or even Euro players around him, where TG had 3 or 4 future pros.

I liked TG a lot and he had a wonderful NBA career, but just as a college player not sure I wouldn’t take Warren. I could only imagine in he stayed 4 years.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Also, Hodge, Fuller, Gugs, Monroe, Corchiani and several more were All-Americans.

Could he be that good? I think so. Will he be around long enough to actually do it? Not so sure.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I think the difference is TJ has no future NBA players or even Euro players around him, where TG had 3 or 4 future pros.

They’re still young, but I think Barber, Lacey, Washington, and Anya all have a great shot to get into the NBA.

Lewis and Freeman probably have less of a shot at the NBA, but could definitely play in Europe.

Pike84
    Participant

BJD – I liked Monroe, too. He would be my second best. Never could have imagined he wouldn’t have a long NBA career

With TJ having such a great season, makes you wonder if R Purvis is sitting in the Connecticut snow and being a little jealous?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I remember watching him come into his own in a tournament in Charlotte. Pepsi Classic, I think.

^He dominated that particular tournament, and it was the start of something special. I think you’re correct about it being his sophomore season. He looked so awkward on the court as freshman in limited playing time, and then came out of nowhere that next season.

Bjd – interested to see your reasoning for Monroe > Warren if you care to share. I’m not trying to debate, just wondering.

Pike84
    Participant

Pakfan..Have you seen Lacey play? I only know what I’ve read about him, but understand he is a better 3 point shooter than Turner and a little more athletic. I hope so.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Good topic to divert attention from Wednesday’s debacle. IMHO, I think you are reaching Pike. I’d put Baily, Monroe and Guggs over TJW. The basis for my opinion is if you put any of those guys on this team I think they would put up (at a minimum) comparable numbers to Warren especially Monroe. Now he is definitely having the best performance as a second year player as any of the guys I listed. Warren is just a bit too one dimensional to label as “best since” (and one dimensional may be a bit harsh on my part).

Pike84
    Participant

Hey “D-Day” seeing your name reminds me of Harold Ramis. I thought your whereabouts were unknown…

If we were really doing a best since in comedy, he would be at the top..Can’t think of anybody who has made me laugh more. RIP, Harold.

Wufpacker
    Participant

When these sorts of topics come up, I’m always amazed how few folks remember Kenny Carr.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Shhhhh, I should have chosen a less conspicuous handle. HR was great. Before his passing few knew of his connection to the guys from the Delta house.

Pike84
    Participant

Wuf, you’re right, he was outstanding and certainly as good as anybody mentioned. The years between championships seem to get lost, don’t they?

My worst memory of that era was when we were up 20 points at halftime vs the holes and carolina fought back and as Clyde Austin was bringing the ball up damn Dudley Bradley picked his pocket and went in for the dunk and won the game in the last seconds.

Like deja vu all over again.

redisgood
    Participant

Regarding the Lacey vs Turner comparison, the stats from their previous schools are almost identical. Turner was 37% from three, and 37% overall. Lacey was 37% from three and 39% overall. Lacey took 344 shots, and 166 threes, making 62. Turner took 276 shots overall and 137 threes, making 51.

Both guys numbers are pretty respectable, and it will be nice having another outside shooting threat in the lineup.

redisgood
    Participant

Sorry to divert from the topic, but the dynamics next year will be interesting. We will have a couple of guys that will be bombing it from outside, some talented bigs like Washington and Abu who can score inside, and some slashers like the Martins who can do a bit of both. It will take a Tyler Lewis type of player I think to distribute the ball to the right guy at the right time. This year it’s basically get the ball to TJ, or Ralston if Warren isn’t open.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Rodney Monroe against Iowa in the NCAAT is still the best single performance I’ve ever seen (on live TV, anyway). Words don’t do it justice. Though the nickel summary is what Paige did to us, except he was constantly double and triple teamed.

In the post-Ralph Sampson era, the two best players I’ve seen in the ACC are Monroe and Wake’s Randolph Childress. They had that deadly combo of being both great shooters AND scorers. They each could take over a game single-handedly, and did it at least a dozen times. Their size meant neither had an NBA career, which I took as proof positive that the NBA is only basketball-themed entertainment, as opposed to actual basketball.

Buckets reminds me of Monroe more than anybody we’ve had since. The differences are easy – Buckets is a better rebounder, Monroe the better shooter and secondary ballhandler (dude had to be our backup PG at least one year, and he was capable at it). But the similarity is how they can score in the lane from any and all angles, and especially how they always manage to square up (regardless of how they have previously contorted themelves) before releasing the ball. It’s a thing of beauty to watch.

They also share that steely eyed, placid demeanor – which some confuse for aloofness or a casual attitude. Anybody who guards them will never make that mistake. The most emotion I recall Monroe ever showing was against UNC, when he scored a layup despite a flagrant foul. He watched the shot dance around the rim from flat on his back, and once it went in…he pumped his fist once.

I sat next to Monroe on the Wolfpack Club charter flight back from NE after the Murray State loss. He’s genuinely a great dude. The anti-Shackelford, if you will.

Little known Monroe trivia – he could dunk. I saw him do it once, and he cleared the rim easily. He usually just chose not to. That was our man Ice.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

When these sorts of topics come up, I’m always amazed how few folks remember Kenny Carr.

+1 for #32….

Anybody remember the other guy in this photo?? They were ‘floppin’ back in the day too!
    ———–

And don’t ya’ll agree we ought to add Vinny Del Negro to this list?
    By my calculations… he has more years in the NBA than any other Wolfpacker….

————
    As far as CUZ goes….
    He’s definitely GOTT the raw talent and the potential… but probably needs to fill in some of the missing pieces mentioned above and fine-tune the rest of his game to make the cut.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

How about Nate McMillan. He was good enough to play for 12 years in the NBA and have his number retired.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

…rick deleted this one….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Right On.. paky..
    there’s the other “name” I couldn’t find…

DT,
    and not in any order…
    Carr, McMillian, DelNegro and Gugs….

Our Top Five in the NBA….

MrPlywood
    Participant

“They also share that steely eyed, placid demeanor – which some confuse for aloofness or a casual attitude. ”

That’s a great description. Regarding DT, I would simply describe him as transcendent.

Texpack
    Participant

Carr is the best State player since DT. Monroe second and very close to Carr. After that it’s hard to find any other players worthy of discussion with those two.

highstick
    Participant

You beat me to it on Kenny Carr…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

…rick deleted this one….

…rick deleted this one….

…rick deleted this one….

Bill, that’s because you are not on the list!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.