If the PACK is going to the Mountaintop this season – Hokies Game Thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball If the PACK is going to the Mountaintop this season – Hokies Game Thread

Viewing 11 posts - 176 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Pack1997
    Participant

Rthomas, pretty sure we need more than 4 more wins to truly be secure. VA did a huge analysis on it and does every week. 4 wins just keeps us where we are at, securely on the bubble.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Did anyone notice if the Pack tried to play any zone last night on D?

No, we didn’t try to play any defense last night.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Better question….

for those who might know…

Is ZONE-D important in Keatts playbook… or is he faithfully married to the man to man / full court pressure / stop those 3s – Defense … which has been highly successful on our best nights against most opponents ???

Admittedly and without hesitation, may I add… I would NOT expect any HOF coach to teach this group of kids BOTH at the level that would need to played in the ACC in their first season as a coach.

Truth is… most all of us are surprised and pleased with what the kids have ‘learned’ so far….

GO PACK!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Packzingo
    Participant

IMO VT just played harder & obviously better. Our guys didn’t quit and also didn’t shoot worth a darn. To me, we are missing the real Abu. If he were to suddenly show up, what an impact that would provide! Thanks

GoldenChain
    Participant

botb Keatts was asked that question last night on his show and he said he wasn’t afraid to change up defenses during a game and he wasn’t opposed to using zone (and gave a couple of examples of when he had done that this season) but he said it is a function of the personnel you have, what your opponent has, and the situation.
    I think we as fans don’t understand all the moving pieces sometimes and just want ‘something different’ when we don’t like what we see not realizing a change could make things worse instead of better.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Did anyone notice if the Pack tried to play any zone last night on D?

No, we didn’t try to play any defense last night.

Lol, thanks.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Thanks GC!

Good to know we can play some Zone if the situation is right….

We’ll just trust Coach!

Given the fact that there’s not a lot of Zone D Defense taught anymore in public school and AAU ball…

So let’s go with this…
    1. Keatts gets the kids in top condition and teaches them how to play his pressure man D this season…
    2. Keatts keeps the kids in top condition and teaches them how to play Zone next season…

As I said earlier… I don’t think it’s possible for a new Coach with new kids to do both in one season at the levels required in the ACC….

GO PACK!!!

rthomas44
    Participant

Bill..in today’s paper…”We didn’t guard the ball tonight, . Obviously ,if you know
    me, I take pride in us getting stops,and we didn’t guard the ball, so we’ll get better.”

13OT
    Participant

Everyone talks about defense, or the lack of it, which is a key factor. But what about State’s shot selection? This team seemingly never passes the ball around; they either jack it up as soon as they can get within 25 feet of the basket, or they try to dribble through the other team’s entire defense en route to an attempted dunk. These players aren’t freshmen and you’d think they’d know by now to look for good shots and to pass the ball around more. Johnson, at least, will give up the ball on occasion. I wish Al Freeman would do more of that.

If the 3s are falling, and if Y7 can stay out of foul trouble, State can hang with anyone. But when their outside shooting goes south and Y7 goes to the bench, which happened again Wednesday night, this may be a rough ride to Brooklyn.

ryebread
    Participant

13OT: while I don’t agree with the seemingly never statement, I would agree with the sentiment about the VT game and in some of our other stinkers — N. Iowa, UNCG, first ND game and VT. There are some games where we move the ball very well and share it. We get good shots and normally win. In our losses though, we have settled for the quick/easy shot and haven’t shared it well. It is easy as fans to focus on the negative, but it is clearly not every game.

As Packi pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago, KK will have improved our offense even more than our defense in year one……

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Shot selection, or lack thereof, starts with ALL-erik on his ‘bad’ nights and that stupidsh#t seems to be ‘contagious’ — reminds me of Cat v1.0, except Cat v1.0 didn’t shot 3s …

Damn, I understand what it feels like when the Coach looks down the bench at you and yells ‘Get in the game and make something happen’, BUT… on those nights that wasn’t exactly what Coach meant….

as RT pointed out… Keatts knows what to do… the better question is can the kids deliver consistently?

GO PACK!

Viewing 11 posts - 176 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.