Basketball Recruiting: Point Guard

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball Recruiting: Point Guard

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    ncsu_kappa
    Participant

Link

Soooooooo per verbal commits we just lost our PG Target for this year today in 4* G Traci Carter. That still leaves 5* SG Malik Newman whose Mo William’s, Charlotte Hornets G and former Gott player at Bama, cousin. 5* Kinston SF Brandon Ingram. We never get players from Kinston. They pipeline directly to UNC don’t they? 5* 7ft Center Thon Maker and 2* GodsPower Ogide.

Does anyone know our current chances of landing any of these remaining recruits? 3 of the 4 are 5* atheletes and the latter has a 5* name. Is anyone planning to announce anytime soon? Do we have any reason to be hopeful? Is there any chatter around any JUCO transfers possibly coming to join us in Raleigh?

brqan925
    Participant

Supposedly six schools in the running for Ingram and he’s made official visits to five of them, with NC State being the only outlier. But he was here for the State-Duke game unofficially and has been here other times, too.

Also, there’s chatter that he’s concerned about the academic fraud scandal over at UNC, which may be why he hasn’t committed already. His AAU coach was Jerry Stackhouse.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Wasn’t Shackelford from Kinston? Though we would have been better off NOT signing him, yeesh.

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

Thanks guys – I really hope we can land one the 5 stahs lol. Malik Newman is described the same way Purvis was but a better shooter and finisher.

Hopefully Gott can pull something out of his hat. Hell he always does.

Rick
    Keymaster

We need some freshmen in this class even if they are projects.

BTW
    any idea if the twins are worried about playing time next year? They will still be behind Lacey and Cat and presumably Henderson.

redisgood
    Participant

We need some freshmen in this class even if they are projects.

BTW
    any idea if the twins are worried about playing time next year? They will still be behind Lacey and Cat and presumably Henderson.

I have to admit, I’ve wondered about that too. There is plenty of playing time for one of them, but getting it for both may be tricky. And when you’re dealing with twins (eg Wear brothers), it’s usually a package deal.

Tau837
    Participant

Regarding the twins, it could easily be something like this:

35 mpg – Cat
    32 mpg – Lacey
    20 mpg – Henderson
    19 mpg – Caleb
    14 mpg – Cody

I think Gott could make that work. Now, if Gott lands a 5* SG (Newman) or SF (Ingram), that would create a true challenge, because no 5* is going to redshirt these days, so you’d have to assume he would get at least 15 mpg as a freshman, maybe more.

Does anyone have a good read on exactly how good Henderson is? Does he deserve more minutes than I threw out here?

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

If Ingram comes to State, could he play other positions as well as a 3? I am wondering if he could swing kinda like how Buckets played both forward spots during his time in Raleigh.

brqan925
    Participant

Ingram is rail thin so I’d be surprised if he played much in the post, unless he bulks up a bit.

Has there been any talk about Lacey going pro after this season?

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

His stock has cooled a little thank goodness. I don’t think we have to worry about him and the pros. Who worries me most is the black hole Kyle Washington. I like his game alot. Yes it needs improvement but on our team whose game is where we would like it to be? His drastic reduction in playing time has me anxious, almost like Gott is telling him he needs to move on.

redisgood
    Participant

Regarding the twins, it could easily be something like this:

35 mpg – Cat
    32 mpg – Lacey
    20 mpg – Henderson
    19 mpg – Caleb
    14 mpg – Cody

I think Gott could make that work. Now, if Gott lands a 5* SG (Newman) or SF (Ingram), that would create a true challenge, because no 5* is going to redshirt these days, so you’d have to assume he would get at least 15 mpg as a freshman, maybe more.

Does anyone have a good read on exactly how good Henderson is? Does he deserve more minutes than I threw out here?

Henderson has virtually the same 3 point shooting % as Turner, and they both shoot 80%+ from the free throw line. But the similarity ends there. Turner is a catch and shoot guy, Henderson creates his own shot. Henderson is a good defender, and can rebound and block shots as well. Overall, Henderson is far more athletic.

Tau837
    Participant

^In that case, he will probably play more than 20 minutes per game, leaving fewer minutes for the twins. I don’t see Cat and Lacey playing less than 32-35 mpg unless our team is suddenly winning a lot of blowouts.

TheCOWDOG

So…y’all wanna be a big time coach? Go out there and recruit those AAU phenoms? Promise the stars, and try to figure out how to give ’em the moon?

Recruit over the guys ya got and wave adios to ’em before you even get to really develope ’em?

See…that’s some of the stuff I think about when folks start fretting over verbal commits.

Tau837
    Participant

I’d be fine with not signing any top recruits for next season from the standpoint that we don’t really need help next season (barring unexpected departures) and thus may not want to deal with playing time issues.

But it will be a tough transition when our current sophomore class (Barber, Anya, Freeman, Washington, Henderson) leaves in two years if we essentially skip the class that is two years behind them.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I think the current youth and depth in the program sets us up to probably focus very heavily on the best of the best. Even if we only land one stud this year (along with Terry Henderson coming in as a junior), I think we are very well positioned for the future.

Rick
    Keymaster

Rumor is we are after a PG who decommiteds from Alabama.

A PG especially would give me some comfort level on recruiting for this year

Tau837
    Participant

Alabama has experienced its first shakeup in recruiting after Anthony Grant was fired Sunday. Dazon Ingram, a shooting guard from Theodore, Ala. has decommitted from the Tide.

“Coach Grant and Coach (Antoine) Pettway were the main reasons I committed to Alabama,” Ingram said. “I really liked those guys. I talked to the AD (Bill Battle) yesterday and I asked him who was going to be the next coach. He told me he wasn’t sure. So then I asked him if Coach Pettway was going to be there and he said that’s the new coach’s decision. So I felt like I had to do what’s best for me and I guess Alabama wasn’t right.”

Ingram, a three-star recruit, was rated the No. 68 shooting guard in the country per the 247Sports Composite. He has already received interest from USC, North Carolina State, and Tennessee.

Found this on the internet. SG, not PG, unless this is a different guy.

Not sure I really get going after a 3 star SG at this point.

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I think Henderson was a 3 star SG and he looks to be ok. We would have Henderson for the next two years and Lacey for next year (fingers crossed no NCSS) but we could use a reserve SG to provide depth.

I hope we get a baller that doesn’t disrupt our team like Lacey and Buckets last year. I feel like JJ Hickson was equally as dominant but we didn’t seem to be a team.

redisgood
    Participant

<blockquote
    Found this on the internet. SG, not PG, unless this is a different guy.

Not sure I really get going after a 3 star SG at this point.

I think they’re wrong. He’s a point guard. At least that’s what he plays in HS, and I’m pretty sure he’s planning to play it in college.

“Theodore PG Dazon Ingram commits to Alabama over UAB”

“Ingram is a big get for Alabama coach Anthony Grant, and is the third commit in the class of 2015. Last year, he led Theodore with 20 points, 10 rebounds and six assists per game. He was named The Press-Register 2014 Coastal Alabama Player of the Year.

He’s known as a dynamic athletic with good court vision.

“He makes great decisions, sees the whole floor and makes the right play,” Theodore coach Phillip Roebling said. “He knows what to go and when to dish it off to someone ahead who is open. I think he’s better suited as a point guard.”

“Ingram, who some would say is a score-first point guard, is a huge potential piece for any of these programs. With his ability to get to the rim and superior floor skills, he’ll be one to watch for sure in 2015.”

Rick
    Keymaster

I read he was a PG as well.

Either way having a guard come in who is willing to sit and learn is a very good thing at this point (assuming he is willing to do that and not disrupt chemistry).

Gowolves
    Participant

6’2″
    225 lbs

I can go equally to my left or right and have a deadly mid range jumper. I am team player and a good student. I am interested in the Pack. I am 44. Does that matter?

PapaJohn
    Participant

^ Sorry, we have retired #44.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    redisgood
    Participant

It will probably come down to who can offer immediate playing time, and with Cat / Trevor, I’m not sure there are enough minutes there next year. I’d be more confident if he had to sit a year, but he was smart. He obligated the school without the school obligating him. Maybe Gott can pull some Alabama magic.

Tau837
    Participant

^OK, much more interesting that he is a PG. I agree we should try to sign him in that case. But I also share the skepticism given that he would be behind Cat for 2 years (with no real relief at SG for 2 years due to Lacey/Henderson)… will he be willing to play off the bench?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.