HotLanna where we come… GT Game Thread 3/1/18

Home Forums StateFans Basketball HotLanna where we come… GT Game Thread 3/1/18

Viewing 7 posts - 176 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

I saw a number of things. The calls, the lack of calls (Markel being stomped and Beverly taking a Chris Paul shot), a lack of being in the moment. With all that the Pack was in the game. Did this toss the Pack out of the NCAA tourney? I think not but it does make the task much harder. A better team? Yes and most likely good enough for the big dance but we shall see.

ryebread
    Participant

The officials weren’t good. It seemed like we had four players with two fouls by the ten minute mark. The offensive foul on Dorn paired with a tech really took him out of the game. I think I’d have probably been teed up myself as a coach if that happened and then in turn I felt I couldn’t get an explanation.

Tip of the cap to GT though. They had nothing to play for other than pride, had a thin roster, got down early and ground out a win. Their center played the best game I have seen him play (and likely statistically the best in his career). To me the game came down to our inability to get stops in the second half (which obviously wasn’t helped by the zebras).

GoldenChain
    Participant

TECHNICAL ON Rye!!!! Using the same post in two threads! In fact I think he should be disqualified!lol

MrPlywood
    Participant

Fouls before Dorn T 5-4
    Fouls after Dorn T 14-6

That stretch reminded me of the the 2012 game at Dook. State’s up 16 at the half, then early in the second half pop, pop, pop… (and not in a good way) the foul calls start. Leslie, Williams and Howell fouled out, Woods had 3. We joke about the “word” coming down, but I think that had more to do with K getting his way and individual refs feeling their oats and wanting to be part of the game. Funny how the trailing team needs to be aggressive yet the leading team gets called. Huh.

IMO that was TVTed’s intention last night. State has enough problems with self-inflicted wounds and shouldn’t have to be concerned with a ref’s ego. I used to read a bball official’s forum and there were/are lots of posts about whacking/popping a coach (calling a tech) and they come off as a bunch of thin-skinned prima donnas.

Heelh8r
    Participant

TECHNICAL ON Rye!!!! Using the same post in two threads!

At least you gave him an explanation. That’s more than we got last night.
    And where’s the press showing Ted not wanting to talk to Coach? The N&O was all over it when he wouldn’t talk to Barry.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

With all the GT turnovers we should have been up by 20 at the half. It appeared that we figured we just didn’t have to play that hard to win. That game had loss written all over it even when we were up by 9 in the second period.
    Too many dumb decisions.
    Too many balls that wouldn’t drop.
    Getting out hustled for the loose balls.
    I saw missed calls on both teams but I thought we got the short end of the stick overall.
    I’m tired of ACC refs influencing games. That shouldn’t have to be a concern.
    Can’t wait until the NCAAT when we get a new crop.

Texpack
    Participant

Fouls before Dorn T 5-4
    Fouls after Dorn T 14-6

When Rick and I see the same thing you can bank it. The Dorn T really set TV Teddy off. We still could have won the game with better execution down the stretch.

Viewing 7 posts - 176 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.