Harrelson Hall memories, and thoughts on tearing it down…

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Harrelson Hall memories, and thoughts on tearing it down…

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    packpowerfan
    Participant

Had two calcs, History of the Middle Ages, and did some work with a few professors in DUB H. I hated that place. The only building on campus that actively conspired against your day drinking if you had any leftover business. Walking up those stairs, then onto an unfamiliar floor, with a strong buzz was a recipe for disaster.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Cowdog….no way….really? You need to prove it…..

TheCOWDOG

^
    Just a matter of deduction. A quick look at my ’75 team picture, and I can match up roomies to all but 5 guys.

I assumed your 78 moniker put your roomie in roughly the same class.

So…it could only be 1 of 3 guys.

highstick
    Participant

I had so many classes in Harrelson from 63-65 as a freshman and soph in Aerospace and from 70-72 in Econ that I couldn’t not even begin to total up the hours. I hated walking in circles so I’d just climb the stairs and honestly can’t remember a visit to the john there. I honestly hate to see the place go because it’s like part of your college culture being destroyed. First it was Riddick, then DH Hill, now Harrelson…At least Winston and some of those old buildings still are around.

CD, curious as to which “Philosophy Professor”? The Department Chair that was on Holtz’s selection committee? I thoroughly enjoyed his class and would concur that you weren’t going to change his mind! One of my wife’s cousins was his secretary for a while during the time you would have been there.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Gee Bill, no wonder you ended up on the beach. Had to make up for years of lost sunshine.

triadwolf
    Participant

Unfortunately I too was the victim of a bathroom stall voyeur. I certainly tend to feel better after a good crap; although I never imagined it could bring someone else joy. I don’t recall how many times I used the bathroom in HH, but i certainly recall the last time.

History of technology was certainly my favorite class in that building. I also had Mulholland and I don’t think I would have remembered the class or prof without this thread. My worst class was differentials with a TA I couldn’t understand and tests that seemed to have zero relationship to the lectures and homework.

Can’t say I loved or hated it, but it’s one of the things unique to State.

highstick
    Participant

Did the History of Technology course you guys are mentioning have a prior name or number in the School of Engineering? I took something like that in the spring of 65, but that was not the name at the time, although sounds like the same course content.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

colapack
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>packfan1 wrote:</div>
    I got to the bathroom and found a stall. I was sitting down taking care of buisiness and then I could hear someone coming toward my stall. I looked up and a guy was peeping at me from the crack in the door. I yelled something at him and he took off running full speed out of the bathroom. Good times.

^This times 1,000,000

My main memories from the Hall.

+1

SaccoV
    Participant

Speaking of classes never worth remembering my Econ Lab was in Harrelson freshman year (was an ECE my first year and that worked out really well since I now teach high school English), and that lab was awful.

Triadwolf, Mulholland was awesome for so many reasons, but the best had to be the best looking pregnant belly of any bald man I’ve ever seen. The paunch was so far-reaching that chalk dust would be on his tummy after a lengthy note session on the board.

For many of you who were there around my time (95-98), late night foreign language courses were in Harrelson, and there was a cool little Unix lab tucked into the ground floor but I never could find a way to sneak in just to mess around.

Last note, from the upper floors of DH Hill, you could clearly see that the skylight was modeled after the ‘pop-o-matic bubble’ from the board game ‘Trouble.’ No lie!

Texpack
    Participant

Three semesters of calculus plus a history class and a couple of university studies classes.

I loved Harrelson Hall. I used to go find empty classrooms there to study in. I liked working problems on the chalkboard and then studying the solutions. The spiral ramp in the center was pure genius. I hate to hear it will meet its maker soon.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

2 French classes, Calc 2, History of the Middle Ages, some Comm classes, a math class that I was TA for, and Chem help sessions were in there. It feels like it should be much more than that considering the effect it leaves. Actually, I kind of like dark, stuffy, quaint spaces, so it didn’t damage me much I don’t think. Never had any bathroom experiences, thankfully. Very unique place.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.