Gottfried tabs Pierre as new assistant coach

Home Forums All StateFansNation Gottfried tabs Pierre as new assistant coach

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

Thought we’d be tracking planes by now on this Asst Coach search since the future of the Athletic Department seems to hinge on it.

Gowolves
    Participant

I grew up with Norwood Teague but he never got drunk and hit on my mom. Not sure what that means. Just sayin. Never thought his career would crash and burn like that but he is Tarhole at heart. Some seem to self destruct.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

After this year’s results combined with the twins “unexpected” departure I believe it was pretty unanimous around here that the trajectory of the basketball program had us trending towards a “trash bin inferno” in short order. Yow and/or Gottfried deserve credit for being pro-active and shaking things up in an effort to breathe life back into the program again.

They’ll get no “clown circus” bashing from me. Aside from cleaning house top to bottom (which reasonable folks should agree at this juncture would be more damaging to the program than helpful) this is the highest degree of action we could possibly take.

Whether it works or not is yet to be seen, but I for one am glad someone has acknowledged there were going to be big problems going forward. These are actions to be lauded, not ridiculed.

StateRed44
    Participant

Just back up the truck for Dino. I think he could be a heck of a recruiter if he is inclined to do that sort of thing.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

After this year’s results combined with the twins “unexpected” departure I believe it was pretty unanimous around here that the trajectory of the basketball program had us trending towards a “trash bin inferno” in short order. Yow and/or Gottfried deserve credit for being pro-active and shaking things up in an effort to breathe life back into the program again.

They’ll get no “clown circus” bashing from me. Aside from cleaning house top to bottom (which reasonable folks should agree at this juncture would be more damaging to the program than helpful) this is the highest degree of action we could possibly take.

Whether it works or not is yet to be seen, but I for one am glad someone has acknowledged there were going to be big problems going forward. These are actions to be lauded, not ridiculed.

I think its great that both coaches recognize that a change was needed. I am just laughing at the circus type vibe of how NCSU tends to do things. In football our defense was horrible so lets fire the OC. In basketball we are going to let Lutz go to Gtech but wait something happened so lets create some fictitious job for him to hang around. Its the nature of how NCSU actually does things. We are littered with examples from the past 20 years.

Also to your “cleaning house top to bottom” comment. I have to think that more people may be open to this if the revenue sports continue to crap the bed the next two years. I could see a new AD followed by 2 new coaches in the 2018 time frame.

StateRed44
    Participant

what would you do with Lutz? Fire him?

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

what would you do with Lutz? Fire him?

Isnt that essentially what we did?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Also to your “cleaning house top to bottom” comment. I have to think that more people may be open to this if the revenue sports continue to crap the bed the next two years. I could see a new AD followed by 2 new coaches in the 2018 time frame.

Please note I had some important qualifying words in there… those being: “at this juncture”

if the shakeup doesn’t work to get us on an upward trajectory going forward it’s completely reasonable to consider cleaning house

StateRed44
    Participant

Isnt that essentially what we did?

[/quote]
    No, I think firing him would have looked bad. Refresh was needed. He’s looking around, has been for years. Keep him working for us until he finds his spot. Move forward with our own needs. Win-win.

Rick
    Keymaster

No, I think firing him would have looked bad. Refresh was needed. He’s looking around, has been for years. Keep him working for us until he finds his spot. Move forward with our own needs. Win-win.

The whole thing has the appearance, rightly or wrongly, of the keystone cops.
    He’s leaving. No he’s not. He’s being demoted so we can bring in coach X. Coach X says he is not coming. Limbo…..

Agreed that shaking things us is a must. I would say it is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic but he brought in a very highly thought of assistant. If he can bring in another that lends some “turning things around” feel to the program.
    I think he has a typical Gott year next year followed by another dumpster fire the following.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I look for a boost on the recruiting trail as a result as well. That’s the other side of this coin of this shake up and something we need to see progress in.

(edit: bjd already called out the recruiting aspect of this and I agree 100%)

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Please note I had some important qualifying words in there… those being: “at this juncture”

if the shakeup doesn’t work to get us on an upward trajectory going forward it’s completely reasonable to consider cleaning house

I should have worded it differently. I was agreeing with you for the most part about cleaning house now. I then gave a scenario (pretty likely IMO) where that cleaning house probably would be sought after by our alums.

StateRed44
    Participant

The whole thing has the appearance, rightly or wrongly, of the keystone cops.
    He’s leaving. No he’s not. He’s being demoted so we can bring in coach X. Coach X says he is not coming. Limbo…..

Agreed that shaking things us is a must. I would say it is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic but he brought in a very highly thought of assistant. If he can bring in another that lends some “turning things around” feel to the program.
    I think he has a typical Gott year next year followed by another dumpster fire the following.

I guess I’m just not that sensitive to that sort of thing. Also being in the business world in a position to hire professionals, this back in and out kind of thing goes on everywhere in any profession. A perfect world would have things hush-hush I guess but that’s almost the exception with the media explosion. Big picture, nobody is paying that close attention to who NC State hires as an assistant in the offseason except us.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Big picture, nobody is paying that close attention to who NC State hires as an assistant in the offseason except us.

Exactly.

ryebread
    Participant

I’ve accepted that Gott is here as long as Yow is. To me these changes are good because we’re at least trying something. I am not inside the program. I don’t know whether these were the causes of what ails us or those were something else entirely. I’m hoping that these changes fix us.

I felt the same about football. I actually had issues with Canada for multiple seasons. I wasn’t sad to see him go. Whether we upgraded remains to be seen, but I think that we upgraded on the OL.

With football, I think our issues on defense were as much about talent as they were about scheme. We need upgrades badly in the back 7 as well possibly as schematic changes. Unfortunately I think that DD is more involved with the defense, so it probably reflects him and his vision, so if schematic changes are needed and coming, it likely only happens with a change at the top, or a change in his philosophy.

The philosophy change is very hard for a young coach to make, particularly if he thinks he is under the gun to perform. It takes trust to really delegate or give up that control. The natural inclination would be to double down on what one feels is right, and thus to be more controlling.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Rick said – “The whole thing has the appearance, rightly or wrongly, of the keystone cops” – I don’t think you could have possibly come up with a more antiquated reference than this. There are at best 5 ppl who frequent this site that get the reference.

StateRed44 said – “Big picture, nobody is paying that close attention to who NC State hires as an assistant in the offseason except us.” How about prospective recruits? Think they are paying attention? Think they care?

Rick
    Keymaster
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Two articles, one with three comments another with a dozen or so. Nobody but State fans care.

Rick
    Keymaster

Two articles, one with three comments another with a dozen or so. Nobody but State fans care.

The statement was “nobody is paying close attention”. Two articles from major publications certainly says someone is paying attention.
    Now whether anyone cares is certainly debatable.

StateRed44
    Participant

Saving face for and getting meaningful work out of Lutz for a time would not reflect negatively on NC State in the eyes of prospective coaches IMO. I would assume the avg 16-17 year old prospect would evaluate the eventual assistant hired and their relationship built. Who else matters? The “fannies” in the seats certainly do not.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

The statement was “nobody is paying close attention”.

The statement was “nobody is paying that close attention”.

And they aren’t. Hell, I’d venture a guess that half of our own fans probably don’t even know there’s been any change.

Rick
    Keymaster

The statement was “nobody is paying close attention”.

The statement was “nobody is paying that close attention”.

And they aren’t. Hell, I’d venture a guess that half of our own fans probably don’t even know there’s been any change.

I apologize for leaving out the unnecessary “that”. My intention was not to deceive.
    We will just have to agree to disagree.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I accept your apology.

pakfanistan
    Participant

The statement was “nobody is paying close attention”. Two articles from major publications certainly says someone is paying attention.
    Now whether anyone cares is certainly debatable.

If you didn’t major in computer science and become the worlds most pedantic programmer, you missed your calling my friend.

A programmer is going to the grocery store and his wife tells him, “Buy a gallon of milk, and if there are eggs, buy a dozen.” So the programmer goes, buys everything, and drives back to his house. Upon arrival, his wife angrily asks him, “Why did you get 13 gallons of milk?” The programmer says, “There were eggs!”

Wufpacker
    Participant

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.