Gottfried tabs Pierre as new assistant coach

Home Forums All StateFansNation Gottfried tabs Pierre as new assistant coach

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Something doesn’t add up. No thanks to Lutz as AD.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I have absolutely no reason/sources to think this, but it occurred to me today…

Possible that Lutz is being “placed” in this position to eventually “grow into” the AD chair in a few years? If the man wanted to coach, he could at some level I’d think. If he doesn’t, I can’t imagine a long term “double secret probation” assistant to the assistant of the assistant gig is gonna satisfy him professionally in the long term.

I suppose time will tell. He might very well make a helluva AD, though…once he learns the ropes.

That truly would be the NC State way. Godalmighty

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Dooley staying put. This is an absolute train wreck in slow motion folks. Hope everyone enjoys carnage. cue the local media about how we ran off Lutz

NC state athletics is a 3 ring circus from top to bottom.

Rick
    Keymaster

The only thing about moving Lutz to the Assistant to the assistant deputy southeast region assistant athletic director is if we had a coach ready to take his place. I wonder if Dooley gave us the Heisman.

Wufpacker
    Participant

While my earlier post was admittedly a hypothetical created in my own so-called mind, I’m curious to hear why those who would not want him as an AD feel that way. I have no idea if he’d be good at it or not, thus I don’t have a strong opinion one way or another.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Sounds to me like Dooley played us to get a raise. Total circus, indeed.

Wufpacker
    Participant

The only thing about moving Lutz to the Assistant to the assistant deputy southeast region assistant athletic director is if we had a coach ready to take his place. I wonder if Dooley gave us the Heisman.

I think Lutz was changing offices regardless. The timing of the news breaking about Dooley being a possible and Lutz to GT/staying put, was probably just coincidence.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Sounds to me like Dooley played us to get a raise. Total circus, indeed.

Agreed.
    We got Calipari’d….AGAIN!!!!
    (how many is that now?)

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

While my earlier post was admittedly a hypothetical created in my own so-called mind, I’m curious to hear why those who would not want him as an AD feel that way. I have no idea if he’d be good at it or not, thus I don’t have a strong opinion one way or another.

I will flip this around. Why do you think he would be a good AD? His entire career has centered around coaching basketball not learning the nuances of becoming an AD. I doubt its a position that you can learn in a couple of years especially in a p-5 conference. But that just reeks of something NCSU would probably do. Let him have the job because he is a “good guy”.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

^Plus he would be in his 60’s if he got the job in your scenario

pakfanistan
    Participant

You guys get the vapors over the littlest nothing.

Oh Noes!

TheCOWDOG

Paki…I done warned those kids not to bite on that stuff, yesterday morning. Now they all dizzy in a tizzy.

BTW. Who has confirmed that Dooley is staying? Hmmm?

Wufpacker
    Participant

I will flip this around. Why do you think he would be a good AD? His entire career has centered around coaching basketball not learning the nuances of becoming an AD. I doubt its a position that you can learn in a couple of years especially in a p-5 conference. But that just reeks of something NCSU would probably do. Let him have the job because he is a “good guy”.

I believe what I said was I don’t have a strong opinion either way, but that he might actually be able to be a helluva AD. Good job though with the lack of input in your typey typey.

Enjoy your sky, Chicken Little.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^^^Nice clip of the Duke flopping drill.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It is one thing to play high stakes poker over John Calipari and go bust. It is quite another to do so over Joe F-cking Dooley.

StateRed44
    Participant

LOL, little too much pearl clutching for a dang assistant coach. It’s not that big a deal. Big picture is getting someone who will recruit. If Lutz won’t do it he had to go.

ryebread
    Participant

Ehh, let’s see who we end up hiring. It might be Dooley. It might be someone else. I heard other names were in play as well when we hired Pierre.

One thing that’s struck me as odd about this Dooley thing is why someone would seemingly take a step back from being a head coach to an assistant voluntarily? It would have to be that they’re getting out ahead of the lynch mob, or that they really didn’t want to be a head coach or there would have to be a huge discrepancy in pay. The latter would almost be great ammo in negotiations with the current employer (i.e. I can make double as an assistant to what you’re paying me as a head man).

Wulfpack
    Participant

While my earlier post was admittedly a hypothetical created in my own so-called mind, I’m curious to hear why those who would not want him as an AD feel that way.

1. We don’t need anyone in that role that requires on the job training.

2. I would prefer for the new AD not to have any connections to the status quo in Raleigh, as a fresh look will be needed.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ Interesting. So, it’s not necessarily about any specific traits he has/does not have other than a lack of experience? Which is not to say that a lack of experience is a good thing thing of course. But other coaches have successfully stepped into the AD role at various schools and done pretty good jobs. Some would argue that JTV did a good job. Dick Sheridan sure as hell liked him in that role.

Monteith….not so much.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I was very freakin’ confused for a minute.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Interesting. So, it’s not necessarily about any specific traits he has/does not have other than a lack of experience?

Correct. As a native Charlottean, I find
    Lutz to be an extremely likeable person. But that does not mean I want him running the show. Maybe he’d be great, who knows. But it is a risk and certainly we are capable of hiring someone more qualified that has proven results. And the whole Sidney Lowe debacle definitely soured my taste for inside jobs. Find the best guy (or gal), period.

TheCOWDOG

Serious question. Anyone ever grew up with an AD, or close enough to know what a competent AD might look like?

I mean experienced it with a good take? Without supposition?

Wufpacker
    Participant

I suspect that Todd Turner’s childhood friends didn’t much care for him. But granted, that’s a bad example.

redisgood
    Participant

Serious question. Anyone ever grew up with an AD, or close enough to know what a competent AD might look like?

Our previous AD was my neighbor so I know what doesn’t.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t think you have to had grown up with an AD to know what qualities might make a good one. Yes, been around a few.

They must be able set a vision and establish measurable goals for the whole department. Not all programs are the same – must be able to spot issues and offer solutions.

They must be a keen and objective evaluator – you don’t keep folks around just because you like them. Results matter. And when it is time to make a change, you make it and bring in the best.

They must have very strong financial management skills. Your managing a lot of money and facilities too, not just people.

And they must be a marketer/fundraiser. You’re constantly selling the NCSU brand, and trying to keep/get people to be energized about athletics.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.