Going forward

Home Forums All StateFansNation Going forward

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    rthomas44
    Participant

ND 49 USC 14 Why was USC ranked 11? State’s defense will have to play it’s best to give the team a chance.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I would be surprised if the Pack received a beat down.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

hard to believe….
    WOLFPACK moves up to #14 this week…

can’t wait until next Saturday…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

So ND is #9 and we’re #14. Wonder if College Gameday goes to South Bend? Is there a bigger, better matchup next week?

YogiNC
    Participant

The interesting thing is ND depends on the run. I have all ideas the pack has been working on that. We’ll see, it could be a really good game. If we prevail is could be a GREAT game.

Smarter than the average bear

Wulfpack
    Participant

Penn State at Ohio State.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Penn State at Ohio State.

Good news and bad news. Good because it’s an away game for us and would expect fans to really show up loud for Gameday. Bad because would be great to get some national press (could do wonders for recruiting).

Texpack
    Participant

The statistical comparisons suggest we should be able to throw the football with close to our normal effectiveness. It’s our run defense vs the ND run game that will determine the outcome of this one. Thankfully it’s not scheduled opposite the Astros.

McCallum
    Participant

Same recipe as before:

limit big plays
    limit turnovers
    win kicking game

USC had three turnovers.

ND will be favored by 6.5

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

Troll,
    Game Day does help, how much I don’t know, our national name recognition. Lord knows we need it. One of the jerks calling the ND game mixed us up with the holes. Nice job with your broadcast preparation, A-hole. ;-(

I think we over estimate the impact Game Day has on recruiting if it has any direct impact at all. We’ve had Game Day before and I don’t recall it impacting recruiting even slightly. Have we had a de-commit because Game Day helped someone else’s recruiting?

We are working on class of 2019 recruiting. Game Day 2017 will have long since been forgotten When decision time comes for members of the recruiting class of 2019.

StateRed44
    Participant

Notre Dame is NBC. No ESPN gameday there.

13OT
    Participant

Big stages and road games haven’t been friendly to this program in many a season.

But- 2017 is nothing like a typical season so far. Everybody except Alabama and Penn State seems to be taking it on the chin. In the ACC, FSU will not win a home game before November and will enter that month with an overall losing record. Syracuse beat Clemson and BC has won two in a row and on the road, over Louisville and a 5-1 UVA team. UNC is in the toilet, and here we are at 6-1. WTF is going on?

I’d very much like our chances this weekend if the ND game was in Carter, Finley and Matthew, not in South Bend. Most of us thought that after the November 4 Clemson game, the schedule would be much easier. The past two weeks’ ACC results are now indicating that won’t be the case. And I certainly hope the regular season finale isn’t a replay of the 23-9 humiliation at the hands of UNC and a lame duck coach.

I just hope that no matter what happens Saturday afternoon, that this team realizes this game is not an ACC contest. It’s the 5 games afterward that will count toward what should mean the most- an ACC championship. I really don’t know what to make of this team yet. Our QB isn’t a Gabriel, Rivers or Wilson, or even a Buckey and Evans, but he’s been pretty good so far this season. So has our overall offense, I think. I don’t keep up with stats like many on here do, but judging from the points we’re giving up, I don’t think this team’s defense is anywhere near White Shoes territory. And I think that our big problem, besides the multitudes in the stands who’ll be screaming against us, will be stopping the Irish offense. I don’t think this team can afford to get behind in that environment. And if they do, they can’t afford to lose their cool, or the score could look like last night’s USC game.

The last time this program played on a really big stage was in 2003 in Columbus, a game we’d all like to forget, much like the homecoming game later that same season. Opportunities like that don’t come along often, especially for Wolfpack football, but two of them are going to come knocking the next two Saturdays.

Greywolf
    Participant

Big stages and road games haven’t been friendly to this program in many a season.

I like this reminder that big stages and road games have been friendly at least a few times.

The last time this program played on a really big stage was in 2003 in Columbus, a game we’d all like to forget, much like the homecoming game later that same season.

Things I remember about that trip to Columbus are we can play on a national stage with the big boys in their house. I also remember the reported fact that the OSU fans at the exit end of their field gave our players a standing “O” as they left for the locker room after it was over. Not that losing was okay but that respect can be earned even in a loss.

Opportunities like that don’t come along often, especially for Wolfpack football, but two of them are going to come knocking the next two Saturdays.

Thanks for the reminder OT13 that Saturday is an opportunity. lust playing at ND is an opportunity we don’t get often. Believe it or not the Wolfpack is relevant. keeping it positive, when we defeat ND Saturday their play-off hopes take a huge hit and our relevancy will get a boost.

Not bad for a team that just 5 short years ago was 0-8 in our conference.

Gowolves
    Participant

Same recipe as before:

limit big plays
    limit turnovers
    win kicking game

USC had three turnovers.

ND will be favored by 6.5

McCallum

I saw 7.5 last night but I expect that to narrow.

Greywolf
    Participant

Notre Dame game I a very interesting match up. They stink at passing and rush for over 300 yards a game.

Those 2 passes for TD’s were both well thrown balls and one was a great catch. What I saw wasn’t “stink at passing.”

Personally I like DD’s philosophy of balance between running and passing. If I had to choose between a great rushing game and a great passing game, you would see me grinding it out. Nothing more discouraging than being dominated in the trenches. Without a good defense to go with it either is suspect over the long haul.

Good rushing game, good passing game, good defense… Sounds like NC State.

rthomas44
    Participant

Finley, IMHO, compares well with ANY former State QB. Don’t forget no turnovers. He is a very savvy leader. Of course, this reflects the level of coaching.

StateRed44
    Participant

Just Saw BC has their bye week before our game. We’ll be coming off consecutive meat grinders. We gotta win just to keep this crap from snowballing on us. Dang that’s rough! I’d take a 9-3 regular season right now if offered, if given one of the 3 remaining wins being Clemson.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I think we over estimate the impact Game Day has on recruiting if it has any direct impact at all. We’ve had Game Day before and I don’t recall it impacting recruiting even slightly. Have we had a de-commit because Game Day helped someone else’s recruiting?

We’ve been on Gameday once in 2004 against #3 Miami. We lost. The following year the recruiting class was ranked #27 nationally in 2005. Tough to say if that one appearance had an impact then. One thing for certain, it sure as sh!t didn’t hurt. I’m sure a lot of them highschool fellers watch Gameday. We get a couple appearances on the show every now and again and it’s a nice feather in the hat to “floss”, esp. against when competing for recruits against other in-state schools.

Greywolf
    Participant

Coaches and players are saying (this week) they want this season to be something special for the team and the university. 9-3 is good, maybe even very good, but it not special. Right now with the record at 6-1, 9-3 is something to settle for.

As long as something special is within our grasp, I’m for something special. All will be tough games but which ones do we fans think we can’t win — ND, Clemson, BC or WFU? The players don’t see one we can’t win. I’ll stick with the players until they prove otherwise.

I’m not predicting anything special but I cannot in my heart stand for anything less than the players and coaches are standing for.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“All will be tough games but which ones do we fans think we can’t win” – the more appropriate question is what are the win probabilities of the remaining games. I’ll play that game. @ ND (0.3), Clemson (0.4), @ BC (0.6), @WF (0.7), UNC (0.8) – probabilities assigned assume all games played within a vacuum. By my count that would put us at 9-3 and I’d be pig in slop happy with that.

ryebread
    Participant

statered is correct regarding Gameday. ND = NBC = no Game Day. It’s fine as I don’t think that Gameday is what it once was. If we were to somehow win this one, then we’d have a really good shot the next week against Clemson.

I watched a little bit of ND vs. USC. ND looks tough in the middle on defense and hits hard. I think they they’re vulnerable out on the edge. The key for us will be defense, turnovers and special teams.

Not looking ahead, but that BC game looms large. They’ve seemingly turned a corner, and quickly. I wish we had them earlier in the year, and not coming off our toughest back to back 2 games. I could easily see us going 0-3 in this stretch, though I don’t want that, nor would I necessarily predict it either.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Speaking of a head-scratcher in the rankings, I was contemplating just how in the heck did Miami get ranked #8? They were favored against FSU and had to come from behind to pull a victory (24-20) out of their jocks in the last seconds, and this was after State had beaten FSU. Then they pulled another one out of their shorts against Georgia Tech (25-24). A late 4th quarter score against the Cuse at Miami made their win, an 8 point victory that was in doubt in the fourth despite Dungey throwing four plucks in the first half, appear to be more solid than it was. So, they routed Bethune Cookman and Toledo and then apparently got their signature victory against Duke (31-7) and that yields them a number 8 ranking? Only Notre Dame and Va Tech present a challenge to them in the rest of their schedule. Talk about an easy row to hoe.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Miami is probably ranked like they are because they are from a power 5 conference and have not lost a game yet.

Gowolves
    Participant

I’m looking for someone to road trip this game out Raleigh. Found tickets on Stub hub. 79-92 bucks. Leaving Raleigh around noon on Friday. GF obviously doesn’t want to go. Share the gas and hotel. Still considering going by myself which is fine by me but thought about sharing some overhead.

Greywolf
    Participant

We’ve been on Gameday once in 2004 against #3 Miami. We lost. The following year the recruiting class was ranked #27 nationally in 2005. Tough to say if that one appearance had an impact then. One thing for certain, it sure as sh!t didn’t hurt. I’m sure a lot of them highschool fellers watch Gameday.

I was at that game. Devon Hester took a kick off 7 yards deep in the end zone and returned it for a TD — the longest KO return I have ever heard of. Hester could fly. IMO Winning would have done a heckuva lot more for recruiting than being on Game Day.

Can’t argue against the notion that Game Day doesn’t hurt. 😉 But do you really think high school ‘fellars’ are watching Game Day with all the actual games going on? I know I don’t.

That #27 ranking was more likely a part of the surge in recruiting rankings and success on the field that occurred during Amato’s early years. Those years really got me excited about the possibility of Wolfpack football really being relevant. It also was the source of some head scratching disappointments, too.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.