Going forward

Home Forums All StateFansNation Going forward

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 151 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

The news & obfuscator had a great article on one of the main differences this year. It could be the difference in today’s game big time.

secret to State’s success

Smarter than the average bear

McCallum
    Participant

If we hadn’t been so busy whining about how we “crapped the bed” vs BC last year, we could have seen this coming.

I agree.

Losing to them last year had nothing to do with endless plays between the tackles.

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

McC going forward mean not driving by the rearview mirror. I agree there are some issues to be remembered but just the overly positive the overly negative have the wrong view in my opinion.

McCallum
    Participant

The damn DOT in Georgia has programmed the construction signs to say GO DAWGS!! st the end of an announcement.

How I loath thee.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

The three monkeys and the old geezer ON GAME DAY picked ND at home…. more reasons for the WOLFPACK upset.

ryebread
    Participant

And that post loss bus runs over another one:

Jarius has to get it down and he didn’t. Sometimes as a safety that’s your job is to get the ball on the ground and Jarius didn’t.

McCallum
    Participant

0-2 into that tough stretch I pointed out.

BC has had a week of rest. Expect lots of counters and traps, lots of zone isolation runs and plenty of wide misdirection.

Coaching will show through, no long explanations needed.

McCallum

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Anybody checked in on greywolf? Haven’t heard from him since the ND beat down. Can somebody make sure he’s not jumping off any bridges or anything?

Greywolf
    Participant

Anybody checked in on greywolf? Haven’t heard from him since the ND beat down. Can somebody make sure he’s not jumping off any bridges or anything?

Not much to say. I did my talking before the season. I’m a little concerned about the injuries to the D-line.

IMO Both ND coordinators did an excellent job of using what they had — and they had a bunch of 4 and 5-star athletes at their disposal.

Pack1997
    Participant

Sometimes team are just better and ND was better than us. Clemson however we should have won, and it falls squarely on coaching. I know the kids play but when you continue to have issues with kick and punt returns, why even kick to the returner? Our specials teams are a joke and have been for a few years. The fact it hasn’t gotten better falls squarely on the coaches.

44rules
    Participant

So can a better football mind than me answer this: Do we have the leg to consistently kick it in the end zone? I kind of wonder myself. If so and the coaching staff is telling them to kick it short, that’s one thing. If the kid just doesn’t have the leg, that’s another.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Pack1997
    Participant

What about Punt Returns?

TheCOWDOG

What about punt returns. The claim is that it has been a consistant problem under this staff, as has been the place kickers. 2.75 seasons worth of inconsistency with the place kicking, I grant. Coverage has not been an issue until this season…And would have looked a whole lot better had our gunners broken down, Saturday…Like they are coached to do.

I have a slight issue with the Pack 42 D this year. Reason? No Josh Jones to aid inside gap support, pure and simple. He is sorely missed back there.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^if im not mistaken, Hines is one of the regular gunners and did not play special teams as a returner or gunner.

I thought Boone was the new rover, but it seems like morehead is often the other safety expected to provide run support.

choppack1
    Participant

Cow if memory serves correct, we actually ranked fairly high the last few years.

I was also thinking about the difference between our D this year and last year – and realized we lost Josh Jones. I imagine Tocho was also pretty stout vs the run as well.

Long story short – our D isn’t as good against the run this year.

Offensively, I think we are improved. However, we definitely miss Dayes who was a solid all aroun and another receiving tight end

TheCOWDOG

Sure they miss Dayes…When Hines ain’t around. Schools like State, even with really decent back-ups, can only match up so much to the “perennially” loaded.

We will find out about all of this as the season begins to close, beginning this weekend.

choppack1
    Participant

Cosw – and that’s a fair reminder. Heck, Clemson lost when Bryant was out vs Syracuse. And it is without argument that we faired betterwhen we were able to game plan with a limited Hines than we did when we lost him the week before.

Still, the last 2 years, we have been relatively fortunate on the injury front and haven’t totally capitalized.

I don’t know if any college (or pro team) can overcome key injuries on a regular basis.

As you point out, the key games are coming up. The outcome of these games are likely to determine how we feel about this season and this staff.

I am pulling for us and the program to win all 3. I like the coach, love the kids he has put on the field, and it would be great if DD could affirmatively answer the question the way Gott negatively answered it.

ryebread
    Participant

Gut check time for DD and the Pack. If we have really turned the corner, the we’ll go 3-0 from here to close and it the regular season. All the games will be tough but winnable. We will have to have the quality of effort, focus and game plan that we showed against Louisville and FSU.

We could easily go 0-3. If we do, I personally would end the DD experiment. I don’t think that is going to happen.

I think we will go 2-1 from here, finish 8-4 and DD will get an extension. Whether we win the bowl will be entirely based on who we are matched up against.

Fastback68
    Participant

Somebody should dig up that Give DD a Chance thread from 5 years ago. It would be an interesting read today. I recall a lot of bromance thrown Cutcliffe’s way after a dismal first 5 years building up the Duke program. They have fallen off the questionable mountain of success after the 2014 season. Here’s to DD having a much greater degree of wins over the next few years.

Pack1997
    Participant

There are way too many variables as to whether State would get rid of DD, even at 0-3 to close the season. First and foremost is how much the big time donors believe in him. Secondly would be job market and who is better than him that we could get. There are other variables but those two would be the biggest. I believe we keep him, not that I am a fan. I think he is great at running a program, but a terrible coach. I believe him and Dabo have a lot in common. Difference is Clemson pays for the great coordinators, and they stay there for a few years before moving on. I think if DD can go that route, we would see a huge uptick in play and recruiting. Based off our history i believe we stay status quo though. Also for the record I like our OC.

It will also be interesting to see what the Cheats do with Fedora.

Viewing 20 posts - 151 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.