FSU thread – Upset Special

Home Forums StateFans Football FSU thread – Upset Special

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Only at NC State would we fail to understand the opportunity cost of drifting into the iceberg for 2+ more years with DY/DD at the helm. Covering your eyes and praying the crash is averted is not leadership.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Good teams make the big plays when they’re needed. State can’t even make what should be easy plays when they’re needed. That’s where I start drawing conclusions.

PackofMac
    Participant

Section 23, row N, first four seats on the aisle sat four very nice young men, all Florida State fans. Nope I didn’t sit behind or near them, they bought my tickets. For the first time in my life I felt completely good with the decision. In my opinion that type of hideous activity is EXACTLY what Yow and the rest of the crew need to see.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Not to make the morning after headaches worse….
    June 2019 – New AD
    Sept – Nov 2019 – Doeren’s last season.
    Dec 2019 – Doeren’s contract expires
    January 2020 – new FB coach
    August 2020 – New FB era Begins
    December 2020 – WPN Lynch mob hangs new coach in effigy
    January 2021 – Libertarian President inaugural ceremony
    June 2021 – NCAA issues no rules violations for UNC AFAM academic infractions.

SFN servers explode like top loading Samsung washing machines….

You read it here first…

Only thing that could change outcome would be 50 point loss to Syracuse & 83 point loss to UNC….

FSU game was close enough to keep Dr. Woodson from making call.

Have another drink….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK….

I GOTT a wild hair Friday night, called my NCState Girl (class of 2011) who lives in the Triangle and told her get us 2 tickets…
    good seats for $30 ea for those interested in real ticket prices…

remember…. I’m the only guy here with papers from both schools…

Ya’ll know… what you see from the first 15 rows of the upper deck is totally different than what you see on the TV screen…

So here’s what I saw….

1. Gray uniforms still suck…
    2. The Stadium instant replay guys are idiots…
    3. FSU’s band is louder than ours…
    4. Our crowd was lame — so was the parking lot (we GOTT there at 5:30pm and met some friends)… no real noise except the last 10 minutes when everybody was trying to generate a little heat. The crowd was much more into singing with music during timeouts than football.

Now we could fix this and the “ticket price problem” by selling beer in the Stadium, but that’s for another thread…

As for the football…
    5. No question about it… this Team is way improved over previous years. They played a good, solid all-around game, consistently for 4 quarters on both sides of the line. There were no obvious weaknesses that could be clearly exploited.
    The Noles are a good, not great, team.

6. The difference in the game and maybe the season was one thing I hadn’t really seen before….

There were 5-6 plays for each team that GOTT my attention…
    They were all intermediate length pass plays where the sharpness of the route run, the timing and accuracy of the pass thrown AND a great pair of hands were all impeccable. In the best cases, the Defense was in the wrong set or totally surprised.

They made some, we made some…
    They made one or two more than we did…
    The Noles GOTT a couple of WRs that should play on Sundays.

7. Coach ain’t going nowhere soon… for the same reason some say he ought to go… don’t enough people, especially the right ones, want to spend the money.

Sorry ’bout that…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

you get what you (don’t) pay for.

ryebread
    Participant

I tend to have a theory about coaching. Get blown out, or blow someone out and there’s a difference in talent. The close ones (say inside a TD) are where coaching puts one over the top. Win more than 50% of those and a case can be made that one is an above average coach. Lose almost every time, and it’s pretty clear coaching is bad.

The way the team celebrated a made FG told me three things:
    1) They still back one another
    2) They’ve given up on the other kicker and he shouldn’t line up for a FG or PAT again this season.
    3) They expect the ball to be snatched away from them Charlie Brown style.

The talent is there. This team doesn’t know how to win. The coaching seemingly doesn’t either.

We may not make a move, that’s more due to budget than any other reason. I’d still go with the Kitchings plan as that seemingly is almost budget neutral.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^He probably wouldn’t have missed the first one if the whole crowd had not been booing loudly when he trotted out on the field…

To be clear…
    Nobody, I don’t think, was booing the kicker… they were booing the Coach for not going for it on 4 & 3 at the 25-30yd line…

Otherwise… it was a night when “Apathy Reigned”.

This is our future… Apathy.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Virginia Wolf
    Participant

Apathy is definitely the problem, but who cares!!!!

TheCOWDOG

Apathy? Oh, hell no.

Locked and Loaded.
    Mythical groundswells not needed.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Obviously, CD, you are privy to more info that we are. WM and RV would could probably set up a “separate” entity to raise funds for both a Buy Out and also to “kick up” the salary. They, and the others whose names grace our new athletic structures all over campus and the CF “West” campus have considerable sheckles. They probably are more cash flush as folks have been hoarding cash in anticipation of a market meltdown….so, whats a few million…..All it would need is a good “Mark Roberts” type of Deal Maker….got any leads on that….

Bobby

WM is on BOT as well as another Porker/Fowler. Kick in AG’s seat and JG’s Empire, which is based on research that he did at NCSU and NCSU said….”You can have the code, Jim….we don’t really see any value in it….but it was interesting….”

Is THAT what you are hinting at. These individuals obviously carry a lot of weight and have RW’s cellphone and when they say, “Randy, lets do lunch….”, he will BE THERE…

Don’t tease us… I heard a lot of “B&M” at a TG Saturday that indicated the higher ups in several WPC Chapters are NOT happy and want a CHANGE….but doubt that it will happen until a higher level change is made…

I guess we will wait and see how the season plays out. Maybe the Performance Review will conducted a few levels up?

Keep us updated as you see fit….

Adventuroo
    Participant

Sorry for the second post….can not get an image to embed…..but here is a link to what I tried to put in the previous post….

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122178385188954793

I guess we shall see what we shall see….

TheCOWDOG

^ Yes, Roo. We shall see how much weight 8 carries.

ryebread
    Participant

If 8 is a regular season number, then that ended yesterday. If 8 could include a post-season, then we’re likely 2 weeks away mathematically eliminating that (as I think we’ll beat Syracuse).

My magic number this season was the trifecta. I said before the season started that DD would be fired if he lost to ECU, lost to UNC and had a losing record. I knew he was on life support when he lost to ECU. Barring DD doing something he has not in 3.5 years here (beating some teams with a pulse), it is looking dire and I suspect UNC will revel in putting the final nail in that coffin.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The only 8 happening now is possibly 8 losses. Just TCB against EZU and BC, still beat ND (everyone else has) and mayyyyybe pick up a bonus W against one of the ranked teams and he would have been fine. Do that AND beat unx and he’s sitting pretty.

ryebread
    Participant

Ply: Had he done that, Yow would have given him a multi-year extension, built a statue and proclaimed to the world he’d climbed Everest.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

The only 8 happening now is possibly 8 losses. Just TCB against EZU and BC, still beat ND (everyone else has) and mayyyyybe pick up a bonus W against one of the ranked teams and he would have been fine. Do that AND beat unx and he’s sitting pretty.

Yow would have given him a huge raise and ext if he had done just that. Which in a sense is kindof sad but its neither here nor there

edit- I see rye is on the same page as me.

I see we picked up another 2 star player for the next coach to place blame on

Classof89
    Participant

If we’re going to spend $2 million for a buyout in order to throw $4 million more at LSU’s sloppy seconds, I’d rather just wait a year and get the 2017 SEC castoff. No need to spend that sort of dough for a caliber of candidate that will be available every year. South Carolina getting Holtz and then Spurrier transformed their program, but look how they’ve sunk back to the middle in just a few seasons. I think we missed with Doeren (the Tom Reed of the 21st century), but I think there are mid-major success stories out there who would do a good job here. I was in school for Sheridan’s glorious first season in 1986. It was wonderful to behold how most of the same players who had gone 3-8 the year before under Reed’s gloomy reign played with confidence and sound fundamentals to the tune of 8-2-1 and a bogus VaTech player injury from a nine win season (which really meant something in the era of 11 game seasons).

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

If we’re going to spend $2 million for a buyout in order to throw $4 million more at LSU’s sloppy seconds, I’d rather just wait a year and get the 2017 SEC castoff. No need to spend that sort of dough for a caliber of candidate that will be available every year. South Carolina getting Holtz and then Spurrier transformed their program, but look how they’ve sunk back to the middle in just a few seasons. I think we missed with Doeren (the Tom Reed of the 21st century), but I think there are mid-major success stories out there who would do a good job here. I was in school for Sheridan’s glorious first season in 1986. It was wonderful to behold how most of the same players who had gone 3-8 the year before under Reed’s gloomy reign played with confidence and sound fundamentals to the tune of 8-2-1 and a bogus VaTech player injury from a nine win season (which really meant something in the era of 11 game seasons).

We cannot wait a year. keeping a coach that goes 4-7, 5-8 implodes the program. I doubt very seriously DD can operate under the stress that every game, every play he is coaching for his job. Not many coaches can operate under that environment. Add to the equation recruiting or lack thereof and its imperative Yow finds a way to can him. Say he gets a 5th year what are the ultimatums Yow has to place on him? that situation gets to be too black and white and never seems to work out. Only at NCSU can we work our way into a situation where we cannot fire a 5-7, 4-8 coach. God almighty

Adventuroo
    Participant

Back to reality….first….CD has heard things. My “inside” sources…which are NOT located on Trinity, but are more “local” say the following.

Woodson will have to make the call. It will NOT happen otherwise. That will probably involve TWO buyouts….

There is no FORMAL mechanism to raise a special Kitty for EITHER…but there has been discussion about “How we COULD do that” and also not violate the WPC charter and also keep the AD Budget’s “stated purpose” intact. It will be tricky…but hey, UNC gets tricky and we are just as smart. It WILL have to have some of CD’s “Line up Photos” in it….plus a few more. Has this been set in motion? THAT is not known, but it has been discussed….at length and the discussions, as the L’s increase, it seems to be getting momentum…..NOW THAT IS JUST TG TALK…..but the info that I have heard at such before USUALLY has some validity….

The $3 per ticket per game for 3 years Doeren Buyout would NOT be needed then…..but, the AD Budget WOULD have to fund the increases for a NEW coach. The TG comments, interesting, did have a SOLID FLOOR number. That was the same as mine….probably $3.5 KK….which is a bit over 50% that Doeren makes….so there WILL be an increase in the ticket cost….probably $5 or so. The “Special Entity” COULD (speculating wildly) include provisions for buying out some Super Star….but that would be a ONE TIME DEAL. So the cost of buying our “High Maintenance Coach” (like the Proverbial Trophy Partner, will be OUR’s and OUR’s ALONE….so the ducat WILL go up.

There will also be an ADDED item (like building a house…). We need to BUMP UP the Assistant Coaches. That is slated at $500 – $750K. Funding for that COULD come from kicking up the Tickets…but 15 – 20% on Concessions is also an alternative…

NOW…this was talk after ONE beer….and BEFORE we did not beat FSU.

There were a LOT of “deficiencies” discussed….most here…and some were “Wow, that is interesting….” Suffice it to say, we the LTR owners and also the “HD” of the “Ain’t ever coming back” observers are NOT the only ones frustrated and talking….but CD’s Rogue’s Gallery will have to be convinced and then “come around”….which means that a NEW AD will have to be focused on that.

BUT….and this is a BIG BUT (not BUTT), the strides and the credibility and the esteem that AD Yow has brought to NCSU are NOT, under any circumstances, going to be compromised or cast aside. She raised our program from the Nuclear SELF MADE Explosion of the UNC BOG, the NCSU BOT, the NCSU Faculty Senate and Dr. Monteith. The OPINION of folks that lived through it (a lot of us did and were close to it) is that we would have been a LOT better off had the NCAA given us the Death Penalty…

Todd Turner KILLED US. Les tried to right the ship and Fowler (OK….need I say more) was more inept than the Titanic Captain….or Captain Schettino of Costa Concordia fame for the youngsters. We are NOT going to go WIN in FB and BB at all costs. Our improvements (Academic, Facility, Diversity or Title IX, etc.) WILL carry a lot of weight and that will be JUST AS IMPORTANT….but FB and (dare I say it…BB) will receive a much needed priority.

So much for my Monday Rant….sell today….the Clinton Rally or Fix is in. Wonder why the Stock Market Rallies when a candidate that is “For the Children and the Common Man” explodes? Maybe the “Insiders and Big EVIL Wall $treet Boy$ have paid “their dues” and what we hear on the stump will NOT be what happens in the Oval Office?

ryebread
    Participant

We’re going to spend $2M on DD next year regardless of whether he coaches here. The question is whether him coaching here moves the program forward. If not, then what should be done?

That’s why I like the Kitchings plan. That one might actually move it forward, but if not, we’re out basically the same amount of money. I doubt it can really get any worse. We’ve also “done something” which gets us one year closer to Yow retiring. It might give us a recruiting bump as Kitchings can clearly recruit. What have we got to lose?

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – I think we may be reaching a point where a change is unavoidable.

If DD can’t recruit and / or excitement is such that there will be a serious decline in attendance, then their hands are somewhat tied.

I meant to say this earlier – but I cannot recall a night game of any kind of importance vs a road team in the Carter being so quiet for a game that was tight up until the end.

I mentioned that even before this game I have seen a reduction in tailgating – and the students have been MIA almost the entire year (in the end zones.)

Deb and Dave can’t be encouraged by this mutiny. It is the kind of apathy that forced TOB out. Of course, DY didn’t like him and Dave is her guy, but still…

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Well, if you are looking for a diversion from football and want to focus on something positive…TJ Warren is lighting it up in Phoenix. And I’ll gladly admit i was wrong in thinking he wouldn’t succeed in the NBA; hope he keeps it up and isn’t just a looter in a riot.

gso packbacker
    Participant

SI have no clue whether Kitchings would be a good hire, but I am pretty sure that executing a transition until DY is closer to departure sounds easier on paper than in reality (I have been a part of something fairly close to that, albeit on a smaller scale). Maybe if our coach stepped down, but otherwise at best it seems that we come across as weak and indecisive (accurate?).

If we’re going to make a change, then let’s do it right. Sign me up for the $7 ticket increase. Worst case I drop one of my 5 season tickets (hey, at least I get TWO parking passes).

If we are to hire someone like Kitchings, I hope we can evaluate their ability to build and manage a staff. Seems that between that and the Recruiting/Coaching piece we haven’t had someone who can do both well (i.e., a CEO of BC State Football) in a while.

choppack1
    Participant

IMHO – it only makes sense to hire Kitchings in an interim role…the window for them to do that closes with every game. A loss to Syracuse would actually be the perfect time to make such a move…it could also happen next year or if it happens too late in recruiting cycle to find a coach with an established record as a head coach.

The passion for Kitchings is based on the hope that he will be our Dabo. It’s classic projection / wish casting. But, if you like some of the things this staff has done (like I do) – you see the value in giving him a shot in some interim fashion.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.