First Wave of Coaching Changes

Home Forums StateFans Basketball First Wave of Coaching Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    Tau837
    Participant

By the way, which 20 teams have more talent? I know there is no way to truly prove it, but I’m genuinely interested in getting an idea of how our roster stacks up talent-wise.

redisgood
    Participant

By the way, which 20 teams have more talent? I know there is no way to truly prove it, but I’m genuinely interested in getting an idea of how our roster stacks up talent-wise.

If everyone comes back (still an if at this point), I’m guessing we will be ranked somewhere around #15 preseason. Since we have a mediocre coach, I would extrapolate from that we must be perceived to have top 5 talent.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Gott’s teams have beaten a number of teams with more talent. So either he outcoached them or the talent differential is either overstated or thin enough as to not be all that important.

Are you trying to make 44’s head blow up?

tractor57
    Participant

We have seen the results with a team of burger boys who could (would) not work alone or together. Maybe that was a coaching issue. We have seen teams that were undermanned that sometimes could make it happen. Last season we saw a team with talent (most of in raw with basketball skills) that by the end of the season was pretty darn good. So is the coach to blame for each of these? Possibly but I see the personnel being a better fit and I have seen significant development this past season. Maybe Gott is not the absolute best coach (probably not in fact) but considering where the program was when he arrived and where it is now I would say the Pack has picked a winner. Now that can always turn, some sat the recruiting currently is not up to standard. That I don’t know because I simply do not follow recruiting in a significant way.
    At this point I am more than fine with the coaching staff, the team roster and the leadership from AD Yow and Chancellor Woodson.

Wulfpack
    Participant

He’s also lost to teams with far less talent (see BC, Clemson).

The problem is not that we lack talent. We have shown we have the talent to compete with, and beat, anyone. The problem has been consistency.

With what we have coming back, we really should be top four in the league and potentially a top four seed in the tourney.

redisgood
    Participant

Gott’s teams have beaten a number of teams with more talent. So either he outcoached them or the talent differential is either overstated or thin enough as to not be all that important.

Are you trying to make 44’s head blow up?

I think that ship has already sailed.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ka-Boom!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Amid the media frenzy on a otherwise most boring Good Friday…
    “Shaka Smart to UT”

One finds the back stories much more intriguing…

1. So Ms. Shaka Smart apparently thinks she can live in Austin…
    Honey, take this from an old man…

Everything is bigger in Tejas…
    And that includes, the good and bad…

And I’ve been to Austin and I’ve spent plenty of time in Richmond and Virginia…

I hope you’re ready…

2. This… from E$pin…

Smart led VCU to at least 26 wins in six consecutive seasons, a feat matched only by Duke. With the interest he has generated in basketball, a $25 million basketball practice facility is under construction and is scheduled to be ready for use in the fall.

We’ve never been impressed with VCU’s strength of schedule and more importantly…

Just who do they think they can hire at VCU as Head Coach to pay for that gym?

3. This, redeaux.. from E$pin….

At VCU, Smart took over a program that had great success under Jeff Capel and then Anthony Grant. Smart hopes to avoid the pitfalls at Texas that his predecessors encountered when they left to take over programs at universities considered football schools.

Capel lasted five years at Oklahoma before being fired, and Grant spent six at Alabama before he was dismissed.

Bottom line here is …
    Can Smart get another potential Kevin Durant to play in Austin every two=three years?
    ——————-

Is it “three stikes and out”…
    Is it “take the money and run”…
    Is it “The Name on the Sign is better than the food on the plate”…
    Or is it “Diamond in the Rough” ?

SMH….

This is a Tejas style Deal with Tejas odds ….
    With three Jokers in the deck…

Call me crazy… Call me back in five years and let me know how this all turned out…

It may not be Smart, but I Like what we GOTT…

Plus… I am generally adverse to hiring people who have not shown a demonstrated ability to handle failure…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    highstick
    Participant

Then we should hire Herb again? He’s experienced in failure! However, I agree with your assessment of everything being bigger in Texas…Including being a fool! There are many professional fools who live there and think it’s cool…Sit in front of a bunch of Aggies sometime and you’ll understand! But then, I’ve known for 50 years!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Smart called it a “no brainer” to leave for Texas.

Smart’s contract is for seven years, the first six of which are guaranteed, for roughly $3 million a year, Patterson said.

$18 million in the bank. Yea, a no brainer indeed.

As for who VCU turns to, I’d love to see Levelle Moton get a shot. I believe he is going to be a good one.

BJD95
    Keymaster

VCU should re-hire Anthony Grant, and they should both stay happy together this time.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bama is looking at Avery Johnson. Strange.

JasonP
    Participant

Bruce Pearl loves the Avery hire. Pretty baffling move for a school flush with cash.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    choppack1
    Participant

The Avery hire is bizarre… But it may end up being a good one. I think a lot of teams are trying to find their hoiberg. Good luck in that – we see how that experiment went for us. (Although under sane and competent leadership that hire would have never happened.)

I am not a huge fan of pressing D’s. I think it only works if you are dealing with teams who can’t execute – and there’s less of that in major conferences and even less in the NCAA tournament. (And there will be even less of that if they decide to crack down on fouling.)

You’re better off using a motion offense (which can look a lot like an, ahem, Princeton offense) – and teaching sound fundamentals.

Rick
    Keymaster

Avery and Mullin both seem like Sid Lowe level hires.

As unhappy with Gott as I have been at times (and choking on this years opportunity is a big one) I am not convinced we can do better and we certainly can do worse.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I could never be happy longterm with B- limbo like HWSNBN delivered (and he looks a lot worse than that now). But even if you told me that MG would never grow beyond his current B+ level of performance…I’m not sure I would roll the dice. Maybe I’m just gun shy in my old age. Maybe B+ feels good enough when the system is open enough to make a tourney run or two.

Plus, I’m really not convinced he’s stopped growing as a coach. He definitely grew and matured this season.

Rick
    Keymaster

Plus, I’m really not convinced he’s stopped growing as a coach. He definitely grew and matured this season.

Before this season I would have believe he was stagnant and happy but he made some changes that I did not think he would. He still needs to improve but who odf us doesn’t?

choppack1
    Participant

Bjd – one of the things I noticed looking at his past records was that he had a couple of 12-4 seasons at bama before the wheels fell off…and they absolutely were falling off those last couple of seasons.

I really have no idea how the gott era will go. This year, he has 2 guys with incredible natural tools at the 2 best possible places on the court.

I am not sure we can count on having 2 guys with that much ability on a regular basis. Still, his 2 sweet 16s in 4 years here and his 4 overall appearances suggest he’s close to being a repeat offender (in the best way.)

Thus far he’s had an interesting arc in Raleigh. If he can win a conference title or have a very solid season next year, I don’t see how we can’t agree that we haven’t been in a better place since golenbock produced a work of fiction.

In large part due to recruiting outlook, I am in “hold” status on Gottfried…but I am optimistic about the future.

Tau837
    Participant

I agree that Gott does not seem to be done growing/improving.

I also think there is good reason to believe that more in conference opportunity will open up in the near future, with all of K, Roy, Pitino, and Boeheim (and Larranaga) all likely to retire within the next 5 years, give or take. It’s hard for me to see any of those programs replacing those guys seamlessly. Gott has positioned our program to make a push for top 2-3 in the conference as those coaches turn over.

There is still plenty to prove, and a lot of follow through required to make that happen. But we are in position that it can happen. A position we have not been in since V.

The future is bright.

packalum44
    Participant

Hopefully Gott can continue to grow and improve at another school. Maybe he has a banner year and is hired away after next season. It seems our best hope.

WTNY
    Participant

I think the missing piece for NC State has been experience. Loaded young teams like Kentucky can go far (and even win the championship), but the teams that generally do the best have good juniors and seniors playing lots of minutes. They don’t even have to be burger boys — they need to be good, they need experience, and they need to have played together.

Barring some injuries/transfers we may have something next year we haven’t had for a long time.

Texpack
    Participant

In large part due to recruiting outlook, I am in “hold” status on Gottfried…but I am optimistic about the future.

He has gotten himself into a box on the roster and created a situation where next year’s class will need to be really good and perhaps deep as well. That’s why the Sweet 16 run was so valuable. It will get us some preseason buzz while we are looking for the early commit portion of the class.

We will have a rotation next year that includes, (1) Sr, (5) Jr’s, and (3) So. It’s safe to assume that neither Frenchie nor Anya nor Washington will go pro after next season, but Abu has the raw ability if he has a breakout season.

I do remember Gott commenting about reaching for kids that didn’t work out being one of his downfalls at Alabama. I think he’s been disciplined in avoiding a repeat of that here.

As for the coaching turnover in the ACC’s upper echelon, it is critical that we become entrenched in the Top 5-6 before that takes place. I’m not sure what Duke will do when K hangs it up. Johnny Dawkins has proven he can dominate the NIT and he’s the most successful branch on the tree. I don’t think Brey could be lured out of South Bend.

Now for my poll question. Who gets fired first – Howland or Smart? One of them will be gone after 4 years.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t make that assumption re KH. If he shows ANY offensive refinement, he has physical potential that the NBA drools over.

Smart more likely to flame out. Howland should perform equal to Starkville expectations.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think the missing piece for NC State has been experience. Loaded young teams like Kentucky can go far (and even win the championship), but the teams that generally do the best have good juniors and seniors playing lots of minutes. They don’t even have to be burger boys — they need to be good, they need experience, and they need to have played together.

Barring some injuries/transfers we may have something next year we haven’t had for a long time.

I do not buy the experience argument especially not for this year. Our starting guards (wings and PG) had a combined 11 years of college experience. How much experience do you think is required? Our had way too much experience to be so mercurial.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.