First Wave of Coaching Changes

Home Forums StateFans Basketball First Wave of Coaching Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

Believe it or not, one of the charter members was recently seen recycling that BS on the PackPride thread on his termination.

Hahaha not sure if I know who you’re referring to but I’ll have to check this out.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Again, “Rule of 10” – I always go back to the 9/11 “truther” and/or anti-vaccine movements when I need to remind myself that, yes, a significant portion of humanity can and will believe almost ANYTHING.

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

If K wins the NC, is there any possibility that he hangs it up, going out on the best of high notes? Or, does he announce it before hand in a near-future season, making the Grand Tour collecting kudos and high-fives, and deciding who is his second coming?

If he goes… a feeding frenzy awaits.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If K wins the NC, is there any possibility that he hangs it up, going out on the best of high notes?

Of course, but this is the wrong question. The right question is “Will K leave with no notice like Deano”. I doubt it and expect that there will be a plan in place before anything is made public.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think K wants the extended adulation more than going out on top. And more than anything, he wants to make sure he accumulates enough wins that nobody can ever catch him in the record books.

Wulfpack
    Participant

No, I think K has said he is locked and loaded for Team USA 2016. He’s got at least another 3 years IMHO. Of course, all depends on health.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I saw/heard something regarding Boeheim and longevity, and the talking heads mentioned how K had followed his lead w/ regard to delegating authority as they got older. Hence the phalanx of Dook assts.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Pure speculation…..on my part….and a few facts that match…

First…ORW is obviously GOT to be irritated. NOT in the TOP TEN? Add in the comment that he made in one of the articles where he said he was having difficulty in just getting players to even “VISIT” UNX? Wow….what did the ex fritzy headed and SOB BOT say…” Coach, will this impact recruiting?”. HMMM….maybe there is a GOD and his is consulting Jimmy V and Norm S about UNC’s past sins….

Second….Lets talk about DES. I wondered if he was actually “losing it” when he abruptly retired. He put Billy (I had a roommate that GOT Norm Sloan and DT) Gutheridge in charge. How’d that work out? Maybe Dean did that because there was NO option and ORW would not fall or kowtow to DES’ pleas to come to UNX. It took a LONG time and a lot of Anguish for that to finally happen…

Third….Jimmy B from ‘Cuse land. He told his supporters the week of the ACCT that he was never gonna quit. Then ‘Cuse told him he was and gave him his timetable. He will go down….not happy….but down….regardless of how many wins he has and how many he gets back with his “pleas”….Thus endeth the story on Jimmy B….

Fourth….Mikey. Mikey seems to be putting out Assistants for their “Manhood Rites”. They have to show that they can exist (win, recruit, etc.) in the real world. Thus, they increase their value when “it is time” or when Coach K decides that holding his grandchildren and staying and playing with them is more important than winning. Some of us reach that state earlier than others….and never look back.

Fifth….Mikey….Part 2. Mikey will go out when Mikie (as well as Mickey) says so. Ask Bill Cowher if he wishes he would have gone out earlier. I certainly hope that Mikey can retire and have quality time with Mickie….They have about 4 more years to make it 50….Mine is happening his winter….He actually seemed “HUMAN” the other night. He spoke to a commentator during the game. He stopped and acknowledged his granddaughter(s) during the entrance or exit….my GOD….maybe there is a real person behind that Darth Vader exterior. I certainly hope so….

Sixth…..Capel at ASU. Why NOT. He could earn his stripes there. Wojo and Amaker and Dawkins and Bray….There are probably some that I don’t remember or don’t know about. But, the stable full of young steeds to take over the Mikey Reins is beginning to have some depth. Duke will never be the Duke of Mikey….as UCLA has never gained the status of Wooden…

SO….my comments….let the games continue.

I am really glad that Ricky Ticky got the UT gig and wish him success…ON TO THE NEXT ROUND….who is courting who and who will be the strange Bed Fellow.

Still think that Shaka needs to take his missus with him….or if I were the AD, I would be courting (in a professional manner of course) HER and not him.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I don’t think there’s any way K leaves without announcing it in plenty of time for a plan to be in place for the next coach and for a year-long lovefest. Free hugs at every game to every fan – home and away.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Yeah, just like Carolina gave him a plaque then Dook beat their collective asses. Let’s do that!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

My experience leads me to believe…

The word ‘retire’ really means ‘quit’.

Most men when they reach that point in life just wake up one morning with a strong, convincing feeling, that “I just don’t want to do this anymore”…

And there’s almost always an “external event” that precedes “that morning”…

On that day, even though “retirement” is some thing that is planned for, the “i just don’t want to do this anymore”… is NOT necessarily a rational thought. That said, that day is rarely the last day on the job. It is the day the ‘game changes’ and thereafter it’s just a matter of how fast the man can get the hell out … in a orderly way.

Company loyalty means little.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Long article that summarizes alot of the players in this year’s coaching carousel
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2414215-texas-sized-college-basketball-coaching-carousel-kicking-into-high-gear

Former coach Herb Sendek has long been regarded as a top-flight X’s and O’s tactician, but his reserved, introverted nature did nothing to evoke passion and excitement among fans and couldn’t have played well on the recruiting trail.

Strange, Herb isn’t linked to any of the open jobs.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

http://www.macon.com/2015/03/31/3671291/oklahoma-state-ad-ford-will-remain.html

Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said in a statement Tuesday that Travis Ford will remain Oklahoma State’s head basketball coach, despite reports and rumors saying Ford’s job is in jeopardy.

If any school out there is thinking about approaching Ford, I suspect that he would be willing to listen.

Texpack
    Participant

You have marginal basketball tradition and no real success in your past.

You get black marks for the way you handled your previous coach.

Your current coach is discovered to have violations in his past and is about to get a show cause from the NCAA.

You fire your current coach and end up with a coach who has won 75-80% of his games while building a P5 program to respectability and the fringes of national prominence all within 72 hours.

If that doesn’t prove that timing in life is important, nothing does.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Well said, Tex.

MP
    Participant

It is the day the ‘game changes’ and thereafter it’s just a matter of how fast the man can get the hell out … in a orderly way.

Awesome post BOTB. Good thing you hang out around here…

MP
    Participant

From the Bleacher Report article VAWolf references:

“Some question whether Marshall’s intense practices and tough-love approach would work in Austin, mainly because he’d be coaching much more talented, McDonald’s All-American-type players who have been coddled and spoiled their whole lives”

LOL, Tell us how you really think!

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Speaking of Coach Rat “hanging” it up, it seems our PC-minded friends at Rat U. aren’t so PC-minded after all. They’ve got roaches in their house too.

http://news.yahoo.com/noose-found-hanging-from-tree-at-duke-university-144010019.html

BJD95
    Keymaster

For a lot of these coaches (I know Bowden thought this way), they’re scared if they stop coaching, they’ll die. And Paterno pretty much did.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Again, “Rule of 10? – I always go back to the 9/11 “truther” and/or anti-vaccine movements when I need to remind myself that, yes, a significant portion of humanity can and will believe almost ANYTHING.

There’s a very good, very intelligent, poster on this very board that told me they think there’s a significant chance the moon landings were a hoax.

TheCOWDOG

I swear. I just hooked up 2 former Nat Champ # 2 seat coaches, and the way we talk about those that dedicate, makes me weep at times.

Yeah…I know the #1 seats at the level make huge bucks…

Who they got behind them?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I’ll bump this back up … No surprise – Marshall gets a raise at Wichita and will apparently stay put

I’ll believe it when it happens – Texas optimistic Smart will come

Texpack
    Participant

I’ll bump this back up … No surprise – Marshall gets a raise at Wichita and will apparently stay put

I’ll believe it when it happens – Texas optimistic Smart will come

Local talk about this today centered on increased rumblings that Smart may turn them down. I think his X’s & O’s limit his teams to 3rd or 4th in the Big 12. This is based on how poorly his teams have done (1-4) in the NCAA’s over the last 4 years. Mike Anderson gives you some idea of what the ceiling is for this approach as well.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Marshall parlays Alabama interest into pay raise at Wichita State

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gregg-marshall-gets-pay-bump–stays-at-wichita-state-after-brief-alabama-courtship-033323527-ncaab.html

Marshall’s contract has been enhanced for the third straight year, this time from $1.75 million to in excess of $3 million per year.

I guess this means that he isn’t interested in Texas either…or that Texas isn’t interested in him.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Obviously, I should have refreshed before posting.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.