Face It, Archie’s Not Coming Back To State

Home Forums All StateFansNation Face It, Archie’s Not Coming Back To State

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Cardiac-95
    Participant

^that assumes we hire a competent AD to follow Yow… HARDLY a given…

PackFan
    Participant

Can someone explain to me why so many people think Miller was the ultimate answer (that’s an honest question)? I’m not saying he wouldn’t have been a “good” coach, but his performance at Dayton doesn’t strike me as stellar. Outside of an elite 8 run (after a 10-6 conference record that year), I’m not sure he proved much.

Obviously Keatts hasn’t proven much either…I just get the feeling people think Miller is a “10” but Keatts is a “1”. Time will tell…

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

BJD for AD. Seriously though…

Cardiac-95
    Participant

Yes!… 1000x!!

Khan
    Participant

This is extremely simple.

Either we are:

A) Utterly incompetent, or

B) Uninterested in relevancy

StateRed44
    Participant

hes gonna do great

pakfanistan
    Participant

hes gonna do great

I think so too.

JeremyH
    Participant

Is this real? Feels like a nightmare.

eas
    Participant

My only thing to say is simple. You have a 3-4 million dollar salary to offer with top notch facilities/fan support and you hire the HC from UNCW? I thought we were all in for hiring a DEFENSE oriented coach that could make a splash from day one! He may do well but why on Earth do we keep going like this? Why do we always have to be the University who always hires a risky coach? Why, Why, Why….. Because we haven’t had balls in many years.

I hope he does well but when you fire Gott before the season is out and then hire the first Yahoo with a little success at a lower level it still makes you look stupid. Then again we are great at looking stupid.

eas
    Participant

Please tell me this is a joke and I’m reading it wrong. I can’t believe this is our best option. If so, then maybe the press is correct in saying this is a $hitty job to take.

In The Weeds
    Participant

Pffft…
    Too many experts and constant complainers. He was not necessarily my first choice but he isn’t the floor. I’m all in and hope he’s successful. Screw the Millers. Everyone get on board or go elsewhere.

JeremyH
    Participant

What was the Archie red flag?

eas
    Participant

No expert here and I WILL support him. Just a bland hire in the sea of potential coaches. I honestly thought we would hire a stronger defense style coach. That’s all….

eas
    Participant

He gets 2.2 million a year and a 6 year contract as well. His base salary at UNCW was only 300K a year, so I bet he did want a raise up to 2.2 million a year.

eas
    Participant

Check that…I think he made 600k this year at UNCW

OutWestWolf
    Participant

Pffft…
    Too many experts and constant complainers. He was not necessarily my first choice but he isn’t the floor. I’m all in and hope he’s successful. Screw the Millers. Everyone get on board or go elsewhere.

who was the floor?

albunde55
    Participant

He gets 2.2 million a year and a 6 year contract as well. His base salary at UNCW was only 300K a year, so I bet he did want a raise up to 2.2 million a year.

Could have gotten behind hire at 1 mill to $1.2 with incentives, They only paid Gott 2 mill in first year!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

We’re over paying. Which you’ll all find out in short order with two or three orbits around the sun.

eas
    Participant

Maybe they worked a higher base salary in order to have a lower buyout or something. Just seems like a big jump, actually a really big jump in pay. Almost sounds like he had a better offer and we needed to sweeten the kitty with 2.2 million.

eas
    Participant

Isn’t 2.2 million a good bit more than what any of the other coaches were looking at are currently making (minus Gregg Marshall of course)?

albunde55
    Participant

If we are such a tough place to coach, then why a 6 year deal? If he is so good that he will take us to promised land in 3-4 years, why would want to hold him back from a bigger better job outside the ACC! My head hurts!

JeremyH
    Participant

I found an old Zona thread that talked about their embarrassing coach search, getting spurned by 6-7 coaches publically, including a Usc coach,chasing Miller of Xavier who had no interest, and entertaining Steve Lavin..no one really remembers that. Their AD persisted on Miller, and eventually got his man.

JeremyH
    Participant

Although I hear people are not thrilled with Miller’s tourney resume. Think the pressure is on him to produce this year with all that talent he’s got. Maybe this explains his interest in UNC. There is a perception (by Zona fans at least) that it recruits for itself in a way that Zona does not.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Millers are and ALWAYS will be scum as far as I’m concerned. I hope their careers crash and burn.

ryebread
    Participant

There are plenty of reasons not to take a job for someone with a young family. No sour grapes from me with Archie. I wish him the best and hope that is the message communicated back to him. I have to think we tried and that is all I wanted.

Having said that, I’m actually excited about Keatts. I liked him a LOT more than Wade. I have watched his teams play quite a few games and they play an interesting style of basketball that will really resonate with our fans. I see much more upside out of Keatts than any of the retreads.

As I thought about our potential candidates, I thought about who I wouldn’t want to see the most on the other sideline. It was Keatts. If he were at Louisville after Pitino, I honestly think they wouldn’t miss a beat. I’m not saying they’d have hired him, but I am saying that I would not have wanted to go on the road to Louisville to play them with him as the head man. Maybe we flipped the script?

Welcome Coach Keatts. Time to get to work recruiting our own players, some new ones and in building a staff. Assistants will be key.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.