End of Year Basketball: Pack Hosts NE’ern

Home Forums All StateFansNation End of Year Basketball: Pack Hosts NE’ern

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

for the record…

that’s a four cylinder…
    and our Defense is still lagging…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Twin B offense giveth, Twin B defense taketh away.

Wufpacker
    Participant

The feline FT show is about to begin.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Overall, this has been our best defensive performance of the season. An A-

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

also for the record…

Chizik’s Holes have given up 535 yards rushing, Avg 9 yds a carry and 6 TDs in three quarters…

Wow… that’s what you GOTT when you pay a DC a Million a year ???

Hold ‘dat line boys !!!

BJD95
    Keymaster

BayBay is playing without a QB, functionally.

Wufpacker
    Participant

‘Nova Piccolo girl fathead in the crowd….awesome.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

and it’s crystal clear from down here at the beach…

that the wrong man said the wrong thing today in Philly…

Adios amigo… don’t let the door hit you in the a$$…

BJD95
    Keymaster

Please remove the twins from the foul shooting portion of the contest. YES, even for Abu and KH.

Heelh8r
    Participant

It ain’t Duke, but this is a great win for us. Puts a little shine on our OOC record, gonna give a boost to our RPI, and sends us into conference showing that we can play and got some guys some confidence that was much needed.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Please remove the twins from the foul shooting portion of the contest. YES, even for Abu and KH.

For realz.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Pack wins a good one !!!

Anthony in the driver’s seat with 11 seconds to go….

Wufpacker
    Participant

Backwards honkey finger roll…always love that when it’s not by our honkeys.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Smoke if you GOTT ’em…

Dinnertime…

POP!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Nice win.
    Time to start Buzz’s 2nd campaign off on the wrong foot.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Nice win. Can’t wait for the 2 to get back.. always forgetting that kids name.. Henderson?

MrPlywood
    Participant

Woohoo, Gott to see the last 23 seconds 🙂

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

off to read some Inside Carolina threads.. should be highly enjoyable!

Heelh8r
    Participant

We looked really good in the 2nd half except for that streak when they went 10-0. But Rowan got hot, Caleb finally hit a couple big 3’s, Cat dominated sliced and diced them up, and the bigs had I don’t know how many blocks and they did put up some points in the end.

TheCOWDOG

Make shots…Win games.

Heelh8r
    Participant

FSU beats Gators at buzzer. Wake beats LSU. Can’t wait for some ACC ball. We still got hope!

redisgood
    Participant

Make shots…Win games.

Exactly! At the half I was thinking that other than Cat, this may be one of the worst shooting teams I’ve ever seen. And they have been for the past five games or so. Hopefully Caleb and Mav can keep it going on Saturday.

Defense wins game too, and our defense was as good as I’ve seen this year. Hopefully they’re finally getting it.

On the negative side, I am hating how Gott is refusing to give Cat any minutes on the bench. I swear this is going to come back and haunt him real soon.

Rick
    Keymaster

I hate I missed this win.

I predict we will make the tournament this year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We play like we played tonight, we WILL make the tourney. We fed off our defense, and KH was arguably our most important player. At least in the non-Cat (duh!) category. GFK did his job and didn’t try to do too much. Twin A didn’t dribble very often (THANK GOD). Abu looked LOOSE AND HAPPY on the court.

xphoenix87

I posted this right after the Michigan game, and I’ll just leave this here:

Numbers are always fluctuating a lot this early in the season, but statistically (via KenPom) we’re ranked very similarly to how we were ranked at this point in the last two seasons (KenPom has us ranked #63 currently. After 7 games last season it was #55, and it was #68 the previous season). Now, it’s certainly frustrating that we keep having these slow starts under Gottfried, but we’ve seen a pattern of improvement over the course of past seasons, and I see enough potential that I’m not writing this season off…The rest of the out of conference schedule is much, much weaker than what we’ve played so far, and we should be favored in every game. It is entirely feasible that we will be 10-3 heading into conference play which, again, would put us right in line with the last couple seasons.

Now, that said, I’m a little less optimistic after this game than y’all are. The defense was ok, but it wasn’t exceptional. The slow pace of the game makes it look better than it was (also, our standard for defense around here is very, very low). Northeastern is a dangerous team (they won at Miami earlier this season), but they’re not that great overall (they’re not gonna be a tourney team) and we played them at home. This was a “meh” result for me, it doesn’t move the needle much. Anyway, a few thoughts:
    – Cat seems to continue improving every single game. This game it was showcasing a wider array of finishes around the rim than we’ve seen from him before. I love how aggressively he attacked the rim and the total confidence that he’s playing with.
    – The offense outside of Cat continues to struggle. Abu and Rowan struggle with shot selection, but at times I find it hard to blame them. Someone other than Cat has to shoot the ball, and we do a poor job of generating easy shots. Rowan came alive in the second half, but a lot of those were tough shots. Sure, you have to guys make some tough shots, but you also have to create some easy looks with your offensive sets, and we really don’t do that. It’s very frustrating to watch.
    – My primary problem is that in our half court sets we don’t disguise anything. Everyone on the court knows where we want the ball to go 5 seconds before it goes there, whether that’s Rowan coming off a screen or Abu posting up. Team’s sell out and deny those actions, and then we’re just stuck in the mud. It either stops us dead, or it takes us 20 seconds of the shot clock to set up a post-up. We don’t have a second set of actions or any weakside motion that takes advantage of the defense overcommitting in one direction. Every now and then it leaves an open driving lane for Cat, but most of the time we just get stuck.
    – Defensively, we still have some huge weaknesses. The Martins (particularly Caleb) and Rowan all allow way too much penetration from the perimeter (also, this is why they had 10 fouls between the 3 of them). Part of that is because we don’t have guards, so they’re constantly being matched up against guys who are faster than them, but part of it is just bad footwork and positioning.
    – Our rotations on the back end of P&Rs were much better. We had a few plays where we ended up completely shutting down the play or getting a steal because we were on the ball with helping the helper. I’m hoping that will continue improving as we go forward. The next thing we need to shore up is our rotations and communication when we’re scrambling on the perimeter. We’re terrible at that, and it’s the reason we give up so many open 3s. You can’t let a team that shoots as well as NE shoot 24 threes, that’s a killer.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.