Elite 8 Weekend Open Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Elite 8 Weekend Open Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

^this

MrPlywood
    Participant

Erm, I thought the Cards would win the OT. Oh well.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think Duke can beat this Sparty bunch rather easily. 95% certain we are headed for Duke/UK.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Harrell disappeared in the second half…
    Must have been thinking about that 6 for 8 he had in the first…

That and a little luck was the difference…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Harrell disappeared in the second half…

It’s always interesting when that sort of thing happens. With two guys fouled out you would think the Cards would just go inside.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ply … that’s true…

but remember… Harrell disappeared the whole forty minutes against the Pack at Louisville…

Although I’ve not seen all of his games, it’s probably a safe bet to think those weren’t the only two times that happened.

Probably the reason, he didn’t end up playing for a Tobacco Road school straight out of TarboroHigh…

Wulfpack
    Participant

Duke scoring at ease early.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Duke scoring at ease early.

Yeah, I already quit watching.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Zags have little chance if Coach Rat can keep his kids fired up for thirty minutes…

Wulfpack
    Participant

Zags have charged back.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Hello gang.

Jeremy – I re-watched Pack-Cards at the Yum! earlier this week. The Fightin’ Yum!’s did deploy their match-up zone, but we busted it up pretty good in the spots they used it. Because of the physical D that the dearly departed Chris Jones was allowed to play on Barber in that first game, Cardinals went man most of the contest. Barber just simply controlled the game.

Some other contrasts from that first game – our interior vastly outplayed their interior, and our defense/rebounding really helped to win that game. Also, Caleb had 10 points and 10 boards in that first match up. Both Caleb and Ralston hit 3’s when the Fightin’ Yum!’s went into a match-up zone.

Their defense combined with Barber’s sickness (I’m convinced that the Internet Gestapo stressed him out during the week b/c he used a curse word with ‘glorious leader’s name involved) definitely won the Sweet 16 match. Lacey played his ass off, Ralston was pretty good, but ultimately we shot the shots that the Yum!’s wanted us to shoot. Our interior was nullified on the boards and on offense. Plus, their offense is vastly superior with Snider in over Jones … they killed us on the interior with dribble penetration and easier shots. There’s no way Snider could stop even a sick Cat in man D, so the match-up zone was the clear choice.

I’m positive we prepared for it … I think this a ‘tip the cap’ moment.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Also, playing basketball in these Space Domes is awful.

The games are terrible, nobody can shoot, and the atmosphere is sucked to space. Good call, NCAA.

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

Pro tip: you won’t continue to get money for nothing if YOUR PRODUCT ALWAYS SUCKS.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Ply … that’s true…

but remember… Harrell disappeared the whole forty minutes against the Pack at Louisville…

Although I’ve not seen all of his games, it’s probably a safe bet to think those weren’t the only two times that happened.

You are correct, Sir. Very ‘Calvin-esque’ in the nobody-can-stop-Montrezl-but-Montrezl type aspect.

A Duke/UK final might give my bracket a moral victory feel at least.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Looks like Dook is gonna have to play the second half…

Although I’d bet a dollar Coach Rat goes right at the two Zag big men and tries to put them back on the bench…

——————–

Pup…

The thing I noticed was that Anthony (reverted to Cat1.5) and tended to try to do too much by himself…
    Cat on Three – no basket – no foul… too many times…

Normally, I would attribute that to the “Big Game Syndrome”…
    especially with Lacey playing well…

And, in all fairness, there’s a very fine line between “Be Cat” and “Be Smart Cat”…

That, by itself, did NOT cost us the game, as that I think falls heavily on our young BIGs who played a little tenative for a game of that scale…

Now… some of us knew this (feeling the pressure) was coming… just not which game…

Watching the rest of the field this weekend – especially Kentucky and Notre Dame, Zona and Wisky …
    Our kids were a year away from being at that level in terms of “mental toughness”.

Nevertheless, I am not “disappointed” at all in the outcome.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Also, playing basketball in these Space Domes is awful.

The games are terrible, nobody can shoot, and the atmosphere is sucked to space. Good call, NCAA.

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

Pro tip: you won’t continue to get money for nothing if YOUR PRODUCT ALWAYS SUCKS.

I personally abhor any venue where the court is raised above the level of the benches. Looks wonky.

Plus if you can fall off the playing surface that’s just wrong.

MrPlywood
    Participant

^^And yet, State had the lead with 6 minutes to go. That’s when the Gill show started and State missed jumpers and had a couple of turnovers. Game, set, match. State didn’t close. Hopefully that experience will pay off next year.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ply… it’s ironic that the Holes suffered the exact same scenario…

Up 5-7 with 7-8 minutes to play…
    Three bad minutes and now down 2…

with nothing left in the tank to recover…

That’s the margin of error at this level and it’s something you hear from Coach all season but it really doesn’t make sense until you play this game.

Yep… next season… will be as fun and as entertaining…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Now that the Pack’s run is over, I feel fine admitting this:

I was convinced our run would end today in the regional final. I thought they would get past Louisville – and really Pitino and that team deserve accolades for getting to a regional final – but the stage fright and fatigue would do State in.

We just got stopped by a team that finally started playing to its strengths at the very end of the season – one step earlier than I thought.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Zags tie it up early in the 2nd half …

All of a sudden I feel like putting ‘Moonraker‘ in the dvd player after this game.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Why can’t we have two 20 game basketball seasons a year instead of just one 31 game season ?

Wufpacker
    Participant

I too was fairly confident about getting past Louisville. Figured us 50/50 vs Sparty if the size of the stage didn’t get in our heads.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Why can’t we have two 20 game basketball seasons a year instead of just one 31 game season ?

Well, technically UK will get to game 40 if they make it to Monday night 🙂

Zags playing balls out this half.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I was just talking about regular season games…
    Of course there would a “tournament” for each season…

Dook needs to quit f’ing around…

What is a gonzaga anyway ?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Maybe K should try sneering and yelling. Usually works.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Too many bad 3 point shots from Gonzaga …

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.