Eggnog, fruit cake, etc; what the hell?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Eggnog, fruit cake, etc; what the hell?

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

And I will be 35 yrs clear from anything meant for horses.

I’ll be 54 yrs clear of anything tasting like it came from horses.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

“seasoning meat”

Definition (for those who might not know) — modern, politically correct term for traditional cuts of pork — ‘streak of lean’ or ‘fat back’. A 1″ – 3″ thick slab of a combination of mostly fat and a little lean meat cured in salt. Required ingredient in most all traditional Southern cooking, often referred to as “Soul Food”. Now only found in grocery stores in low income or working class neighborhoods.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Final (OK, not a promise, fingers crossed) nostalgic post. Fruit cakes are TYPICALLY inedible. So are Ginger Bread houses and structures. I have pictures, as well as memories, of construction and decorating ginger bread houses in the late 70’s with my children.

When the GK’s were born, the tradition was resurrected. I think the oldest was around 2 and barely capable of holding on a peppermint for a wheel decoration while the icing set. He is 13 now.

We picked out a tree this past weekend. He helped secure it in the stand and “align it”. BUT, when I got ready to get up (was laying on my side), he quickly offered to “assist me”. I retorted with I had NOT fallen and had not pushed my HELP ME button and could GET UP by myself but he kept wanting to pick me up. Wonderful sentiment and consideration….but very ILL TIMED.

Later on, we realized that we had discarded the lights last year and CRS had hit and we did not replace them. NOW we have a RED tree this year. Maybe for NCSU or maybe to celebrate a Red State Victory….who knows.

BUT, after it was decorated, we went to Reynolds for the game. On Sunday, they were back and we did our annual Ginger Bread Habitat build. This time it was both a Train and a House. Wife splurged (feeling more affluent) and purchased a tube of RED icing so we did not have to make our own and color it.

The connection….if you think eating a fruit cake is TOUGH….try demolishing a Ginger Bread house (or train) and recycling the materials. Now THAT is dry beyond all measures…but they GK’s do that every year and it is one of the “treats” after the BIG DAY.

Rick
    Keymaster

As for the coconut cake! I like it after its set in the frig for a day. Mouth watering delight. My mom made one that I would crack the coconut and shred the while delicacy meat inside with a hand held grader. Little things like that was pain stacking but worth every minute of work.

Bass,
    Do you have the recipe?

Rick
    Keymaster

Roo,
    I did a gingerbread house with the kids last night. I hate the stuff but they love it. They eat the candies while I am not looking and then demolish the house in a week or so.

gso packbacker
    Participant

All of this holiday tradition talk got me thinking about stockings. My wife’s family was pretty old school. Simple knit stockings with an orange, some nuts, and maybe a piece of candy or two. The orange was then used for dinner (and maybe the nuts too).

With 7 kids and not much money, my parents didn’t do much for stockings (although my Dad always found a way to make Christmas a HUGE deal), but I swear if we got oranges and nuts, then us 5 boys would have ended up hurling them at each other and smashing something that shouldn’t have been.

TheCOWDOG

How and when did the realization hit you that Santa was the big lie?

I made it all the way to 2nd grade on belief. Then one day, after a good round of snowball fights, my little brothers and I, trudged into the mud room to kick the boots, gloves, and snow pants off.

I happened to glance through a basement window and caught sight of a familiar box, not completely covered by a blanket. It was the box that the toy Army men came in every year, from freaking Santa Claus, because he knew that last year’s, and the years’ before division got blown up.

I was pissed at being lied to. I was crushed to know that my mom and dad had been putting out good money all these years…for stuff that we probably wrecked by Spring.

I did not make my brothers aware, and played dumb to my folks, too, but I remember crying that evening…to myself.

I got around to telling my dad to do a better job of concealing for my little brothers, next year.

McCallum
    Participant

I always thought eggnog was a yankee drink.

Who spiked the eggnog:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7byjAaLcRM

McCallum

MrPlywood
    Participant

The best eggnog recipe I’ve heard:

1 part rum

BassPacker
    Participant

Bass,
    Do you have the recipe?

Rick I will ask my mom. Shes 80 something now and still sharp as a knife when it comes to old family recipes. None to my knowledge has ever been penned to paper.

Due to her age, she does not cook like she used to for the holidays, even her special coconut cake is a special surprise considering the pain staking work to do it by my mom and her mom and grandmom’s standards. Its not easy to even find a whole coconut now in any grocery store. Growing up, a bag containing tangerines, fake jellybean style orange slice looking candy and whole coconut was as common gift received at the church Christmas program.

Rick
    Keymaster

Bass,
    Do you have the recipe?

Rick I will ask my mom. Shes 80 something now and still sharp as a knife when it comes to old family recipes. None to my knowledge has ever been penned to paper.

Due to her age, she does not cook like she used to for the holidays, even her special coconut cake is a special surprise considering the pain staking work to do it by my mom and her mom and grandmom’s standards. Its not easy to even find a whole coconut now in any grocery store. Growing up, a bag containing tangerines, fake jellybean style orange slice looking candy and whole coconut was as common gift received at the church Christmas program.

That would be nice if you could get it. I would love to surprise my mother with that cake.

As to when I found out, I don’t remember how old I was but I wandered into the dinning room and found all of the easter bunny candy. I figured out it was all a sham. I was crushed.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Fruit cake myth: there are only 17 in the entire world and people regift them each year.

Fruitcake: the original twinkie.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

This is not my story, but I think it’s funny. Have a friend who didn’t do Santa with his son, but instead told him that Santa Claus was based on a real person – St. Nicholas – and told the whole story of who he was, what he did, etc. and of course including that he lived a long time ago. What he didn’t explain well was what most other kids believed about Santa. So, he had to have a long talk with sonny boy about that point when he made a fellow little kid cry by innocently telling him that Santa Claus was dead.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I was the oldest kid…

When I was 7 or 8, idk — I gott a big Christmas promotion.

My Mom told me around Thanksgiving that this Christmas I was gonna be Santa’s helper, the only requirement was that I was sworn to secrecy and couldn’t tell my younger sister… anything.

No problem…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BassPacker
    Participant

That would be nice if you could get it. I would love to surprise my mother with that cake.

I have the white gold recipe if you still want it Rick. And anyone else. I can either post it here or email it. Wasn’t the easiest thing to do as it was like doing dictation from my mom to paper. Her recipe is the original coconut cake made by generations of our family of cooks. Its a major undertaking but when done correct, the results are simple heaven. Let me know how or who wants the recipe. Get your whole coconuts now !!! LOL.

McCallum
    Participant

Fruit cake myth: Warren Martin’s poor motor skills was due to his overconsumption of fruit cake as a youth.

Fruit cake fact: in a strange twist of gastrointestinal irony, Whole Foods has a gluten free fruit cake.

McCallum

Rick
    Keymaster

Post it here. I an excited. Anyone know where you can get a real coconut?

BJD95
    Keymaster

Dog – one of my proudest parenting moments was when a 5-year old twin busted me playing tooth fairy, and at breakfast an hour later was, very matter of fact like “you’re Santa too.” one twin knows, the other instantly gets it. Both girls had no issues, their older sister the year before was mad about “the lies” which I rightly pointed out I never SAID Santa was real. Just let them believe as they will.

To me, I loved the logic at five, and the ability to roll with it. Both those qualities are much more important to life than all this “belief in wonder” bullshit. Wonder will let your honky ass down every last time.

But I warned them I better not get any angry calls from the school and/or other parents about them letting the cat out of the bag. Because YMMV, and I don’t think very normal, as you cats know.

McCallum
    Participant

Fruit cake myth: there is an Obama fruitcake that is only comprised of chocolate, vanilla and assorted fruits and nuts.

Fruit cake fact: Old Crow helps enhance the taste of fruitcake.

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

I prefer apple brandy but that is neither here or there. My college buddy was here for a quick visit yesterday. Sadly I didn’t have a fruitcake finished for him to take to his dad. That is still on the agenda. He hates fruitcake but his dad loves it and claims mine is the best ever – don’t know about that but it is pretty darn good.

McCallum
    Participant

Look here:

http://m.sfgate.com/science/article/106-year-old-Antarctica-fruitcake-looks-good-11751157.php

106 year old fruit cake that “might” be edible.

McCallum

Gowolves
    Participant

Basspacker can you post the recipe? I’m going to tie the knot again in the spring 2018 and I want surprise the future wife with a coconut wedding cake. It’s her favorite. Both are on the second time around so we are keeping it simple.

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.