Eggnog, fruit cake, etc; what the hell?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Eggnog, fruit cake, etc; what the hell?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    McCallum
    Participant

Don’t drink it, don’t eat it etc. What is the point?

I did know someone that used a fruitcake as a door stop for years and no, his name was not Harry.

McCallum

pakfanistan
    Participant

It’s tasty?

McCallum
    Participant

Fruit cake myth: there are only 17 in the entire world and people regift them each year.

Fruit cake fact: butter was once banned in the making of fruit cakes. A papal decree allowed the use of butter.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Another Fruit cake fact: Most all deserts prior to refrigeration contained preservatives….
    mostly rum and other liquors… and back before B’rer ‘Roo and Greywolf were born, It took a month to properly “soak” a good fruitcake… so the Baptists could eat it… although my great aunt refused on principle, regardless.

Being eating good fruitcakes all my life… that’s is… until all my ‘cooks’ passed on to sainthood.

It’s today’s commercial one’s without alcohol that ain’t worth messing with.. although Claxton down in Georgia makes a pretty good one that you can ‘soak’ yourself….

Never been a big fan of eggnog… same good cooks that made the fruitcakes, always had boiled custard without or without the bourbon, depending on your age or denomination….

that ain’t hard to do… just gotta keep the heat down and don’t stop stirring…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

Around 2001 I was looking at some property around Bear Creek down in Chatham County. A small car pulls off the road, a little old lady rolled down the window and yelled,

“We are looking for the fruit cake place”

I asked, “what is it called?”

She says, “it is the home of the supreme fruit cake”

I retort, “where are you from”

She says, “Hillsborough”

I respond, “did you come through chapel hill?”

She says, “yes. But we were told there are fruit cakes down here”

I roll it back at her, “if you came through chapel hill then you passed Carrboro right?”

“Yes”, she snapped.

“Lord knows that place is filled with fruit cakes so you missed an easy stop”, I said.

“And a bunch of damn queers too”, she hollered.

Southern Supreme Fruitcake:

http://www.southernsupreme.com

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

I bake my own every year. Dried fruits, nuts, and a bit of the garish sugared fruit just because. Soak in some Apple Jack for about a month. Claxton is edible but mine is way better.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^57 — Bro…How much $$ you want for a small one of those AppleJacks ?? they’ll ship UPS or Fedex just fine, you know…

Wulfpack
    Participant

Do you really find that funny?

TheCOWDOG

What the hell is y’alls problem with eggnog?
    One part nog, 4 parts black rum, a coating of cinnamon…sometimes I don’t get you guys.

Bourbon weeerksd, too.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I for one was OFFENDED.

Now… I suggest we all tune back into cable television and laugh our asses off at all the jokes about Christianity.

McCallum
    Participant

Why hell yes I found it funny then and even more so now.

Maybe I should have given the old bat a lecture on tolerance and inclusivity but since all humor hasn’t been sucked out of me (analogies intended) I figured I’d just leave her the hell alone to her opinion and her search for a damn fruit cake.

George Orwell had the lifeless, humorless nature of the ultimate state in mind for certain. He just missed it’s Elton Johnish masculinity.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

What a country of fruit cakes.

McCallum

pakfanistan
    Participant

Now… I suggest we all tune back into cable television and laugh our asses off at all the jokes about Christianity.

Why do you always take two baptists fishing?

…..

Cause if you only take one he’ll drink all your beer.

coyotejoe
    Participant

McCallum, I guess it is an acquired taste, and based on how you were raised. I happen to like fruit cake and egg nog. I bake my own recipe of fruit cake every year, with plenty of butter, and properly “soaked”. Duplin County (or local) muscadine wine is one of the ingredients.
    My Grand Pa always loved egg nog. He would always say you need plenty of “Nog” to make it good…Nog being your beverage of choice.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Somebody needs to sell me a “soaked” fruit cake!

Adventuroo
    Participant

BOTB,

You have been hacking my emails. I thought it was the Obama Administration. They left a “Done in Rusky” line of code….but I googled the IP and it was traced to the White House. I think that this topic will morph into FALSE NEWS…

Now, back on point. YES, Fruitcakes, PROPERLY prepared based on recipes that were handed down for generations and properly “SOAKED” (grape juice for the kiddies; Wine for the Ladies; Rum for the Gentlemen) were truly a culinary art.

I might also comment that my Mom and Grandmother ALSO made a very tasty Persimmon Pudding….but it was an acquired taste.

The ONLY recipe that survived and was handed down to my wife….My mother would “wing it” and some of her ingredients were left off or the measurement was “incorrect”. I remember my wife, early on, copying exactly her Pound Cake and baking it. Since it was Round and Big and had a Hole in it, it worked great for the Jolly Green Giant’s hockey puck. It was so bad that my very young BIL’s, who would eat anything with sugar in it, actually did not finish their slice.

BUT, my mom’s Pumpkin Pie and Ice Box Fruit Cake or Ice Box “Roll” survived. I am treated once a year to such….they are complex and my wife leaves such a mess in the kitchen that I clean it up.

The Ice Box Fruit Cake or Roll is served in thin slices with a dollop of Whipped Cream. I could eat it like a salami with a gallon of milk.

I don’t know about Greywolf….but I am only 9 days older than President Elect Donald J. Trump…..

Who’d a thunk I’d ever write that?

McCallum
    Participant

^
    Must be all that fruit cake you’ve ingested.

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

^57 — Bro…How much $$ you want for a small one of those AppleJacks ?? they’ll ship UPS or Fedex just fine, you know…

BotB get back with me after the holidays- I’m running behind this year. I use a modified recipe that was printed in the W-S Journal in the 1980’s (with my modifications of course). I love a good fruitcake but I have never liked citron so I leave that out.

BassPacker
    Participant

It was never officially Christmas until my mom made her fruitcake. I was always designated to crack the walnuts and pecans. Even to this day, not sure what all the colorful ingredients she used. Mom also did a ice box version that I like best. Maybe it was because it was more like fudge than cake or that it didn’t include as much fruit. The stuff was like glue when being prepared. Anything it touched, including your hands was like getting paint off. But once it came out it was red, green and other colors amazing. She also made two versions, the “special” one for those special people and the one she would set out for all during gatherings.

Someone loves fruitcake. As mentioned, the Supreme Fruit Cake place in Bear Creek sells over 100,000 during the months leading up to Christmas. It’s like a meca for fruit cake followers with their annual pilgrimage thru my hometown.

McCallum
    Participant

Fruit cake myth: the green candies are from China and are laced with lead

Fruit cake fact: the typical shelf life of a fruit cake is 15 years

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Fruitcake just ain’t right without Citron…

either that’s just a multicultural-inclusive thing or that’s a conservative-traditional-the way Grandma and her Mama did it – thing!

tractor57
    Participant

BotB I never liked citron so it has no part in my fruitcake. No issue with people who like it but I don’t.

Greywolf
    Participant

I don’t know about Greywolf….but I am only 9 days older than President Elect Donald J. Trump…..

I’m only 9 years older than Donald J. Trump. A lot can happen in those 9 years. My Johnson passing away was the most notable happening. I’m still mourning the passing but at least I don’t find it hard getting up in the morning.

Until a few years before the dreaded passing I had sex almost every day — almost on Monday, almost on Tuesday, almost every day.

Now to get serious about ‘etc.’ part of the OP. My mother, God bless her, made what we called wine jelly to eat with the fruit cake with a dab of whipped cream on it. Wine jello for you city folk was what y’all call jello and what I called some good sh!t.

Those 2 old ladies passing through were just too darn old to give 2 cents about being PC. In their time being queer wasn’t such a prestigious event as it is for some now.

Speaking of “queer,” using the expression “queer as a 3 dollar bill” didn’t used to get you cited by the PC police? Anybody else old enough to remember when a sanitation engineer was a garbage man?

My thanks to McCallum for starting this thread. First thread in months I’ve read on this site that didn’t piss me off before I got all the way through. 😉

McCallum
    Participant

Fruit cakes and penial failure, oh my at the Christmas treasures the Lord doth provide!

McCallum

Texpack
    Participant

What the hell is y’alls problem with eggnog?
    One part nog, 4 parts black rum, a coating of cinnamon…sometimes I don’t get you guys.

Bourbon weeerksd, too.

As described by Mr Dog, it is quite frankly the nectar of the gods.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.