ECU

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

Another reason for a “Like” button.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I want to know what “Willis” had to say that day….

besides Lou woulda tried to whup Sonny’s A## if he’d been given a chance on the street, but since he wasn’t/didn’t…
    I might have just answered my own question.

Oct 12, 1974 — State- 22 — Virginia- 21 in charlottesville
    Fall 1975 DNP

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

I always enjoy finding someone new to hate.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Damn cowdog. That’s good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I think you have 2 groups of us – those before the goal posts and those after. From this, I would only day – how you handle success says more about you than how you handle failure.

As long as we owned them, the balance was fine – when they beat us it unleashed something different, probably on both sides. But again, that goal post crap is epic. I don’t know if it’s ever happened elsewhere.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

those before the goal posts and those after.

Yes… that was a “defining” moment…

highstick
    Participant

Ah,yes. The familiar aroma of diesel and disinfectant,perfume to the traveling baller.

I played my college summer baseball in the Shenandoah Valley League. In 1974 it was for a team out of Charlottesville. We were housed in a block of 3 bedroom apartments,which were very nice digs…furnished,too. Our immediate neighbors were comprised of UVa jocks attending summer sessions,one of whom was a guy by the name of Scott Gardner, starting QB and pitching staff ace. We knew each other.

In the last week of July,our season was over,having failed to make the playoffs. My 2 roomies made quick getaways, pretty much followed by the rest of the club. I had a different plan. It wasn’t the end of the month yet, I liked the town, there was no immediate rush to get back to Raleigh, so I decided to ride out a weekend. No one said I couldn’t, and besides, there was this enchanting young lady that worked in the UVa athletic offices…and me with an apartment to myself for the weekend. It all sounded like a good idea.

Thanks for reminding me exactly when and where Randle was at that time. My first recollection of a State-ECU game was the fall of 70 when I had returned to finish after the Army. I lived off campus, but one of my roomie’s had a Meredith girlfriend and she “fixed me up” with a friend of hers that was a senior at ECU…Had a great time at the game, sat in the ECU student section, while State beat up on Carlester Crumpler, Sr. and crew. Had a great time with the young lady and we saw each other for several months after that…She did have State connections because her little bro was a wrestler for the Wolfpack. My major hatred for Randle came later and a good bit of it was listening to him babble on the radio in Virginia when I was up there deer hunting…There is some major bashing on radio leading up to the UVA-VT game too. Jeez, there’s a really ugly song they used to play about Beamer…

I’m guessing Pat Dye was there by the time I got to grad school, and that’s what I was thinking…Never liked that jerk either.

CD, I had my FB coach confrontation with John McKissick, the Summerville, SC Legend…I guess I was older cause I basically told him to shove it! And was backed up by the college AD the next morning.

Sunday morning, my friend and I were shocked from sleep by this persistent,angry sounding bang on the front door. PO’ed,I rolled out of the sack and opened the front door to a blinding blast of sunlight. “What?!”

“What the hell are you doing in my building?”
    Because of the sunlight I couldn’t make out the voicer, but I sure could the tone. I went out the door,closing it behind me. About the time my eyes focused on this rather stocky middle aged man,an arm went to the door. I blocked it. In turn I got damn strong shove to the chest, and a confusing glimpse of facial recognition. Coach Sonny Randle? What the hell was he doing up here?
    Then it hit me. He was here, because he was no longer in Greenville, dummy. He had taken the HC job at UVa! “Now Coach,”I said.”I have plans to leave later this afternoon.”
    The crooked fingers trying to poke holes in my chest had other plans.

I got this major predicament.
    A) First and foremost, I have this very sweet girl who now walks the same work halls with this lunatic frothing at the mouth, that is about to be compromised, potentially,seriously.
    B) This NC State baller is about to get into a physical altercation with a major college HC.
    I ain’t likin’ them apples.

“Coach. Give me an hour.”

“I’ll give you 15 seconds.” And with that, he’s planted another in my chest and through the door. He strides down the hall to the back bedrooms. Vacant. He marches toward my room, on past the bathroom (door closed? Hmmm.)
    He gets to my room and it’s empty,said for my belongings.(Good girl.) Sonny spotted a hamper full of freshly washed clothes, snatched it,stomped to the front yard,and slung it.(What a dick, but how am I gonna get her out cleanly?)

Out of nowhere comes another voice.
    “Coach. I got this. I know (CD.) He’s cool. Let me handle it.” Scott. My man Scott Gardner. Randle looks at him, sneers to me, looks back at Scotty, and then his watch.

“I’ll be back in a couple of hours. Make sure he’s gone in one.”

The very first day back to the Case Center, I received a message. Willis needs to see you…now. I knew…Sonny. Sonny #%&*# Randle.

So…I don’t have riotous Pirates in my past and when I think about the incident that July, I don’t put Randle and UVa together.
    ECU spawned his career. That’s where I connect him. Yeah. I guess I’d be happy to jack a hind leg after all.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

BassPacker
    Participant

I use Kodi, love it. I’ve watched almost every game imaginable with it. If you download the watch ESPN app you will get almost all college games. If you like movies, download exodus, every movie ever made is there. No need for Netflix or redbox anymore. Even get local channels so have cut cable cord.

Becton901
    Participant

Thanks BP. I couldn’t find the watchESPN app, but did find the game under one of the SportsDevil catalogs. I’ll let you know if it works. I really like Kodi also.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Sonny is still kicking around. One of the VA radio stations plays his 60 sec summary of college football on the Monday morning drive to work.

NelsonHall97
    Participant

How can we look lost on the first drive at ECU?

Becton901
    Participant

Found the game on Kodi. Sportsdevil, livesports, firstrowsports.eu, american football. Crap, 10-0 now.

rthomas44
    Participant

I’m not sure if the D is worse than the O, but this game is not looking like the “next level”.

McCallum
    Participant

Way to suck it State.

Congrats to ECU.

McCallum

coach13
    Participant

Want wate another minute on this team…DD has completed the 1st half of the equation that guarantees your departure…

mak4dpak
    Participant

Really a bad way to lose a game today. Every chance in the world to win, and just couldn’t pull it out. Not all negative, as our QB played well his first time with us, in a hostile environment. However I was reminded how much I dislike Huxtable, and his defensive play calling. We sucked. I still like Doeren, but he should have sent Huxtable packing when he let Canada go. Hopefully the team and coaches will learn from this game, but I still think ECU has a good team this year, and no push over. And Duke loses to Wake. Perhaps the offensive coor, now at ECU had
    something to do with that. We need to get back on the winning track, so when I go to this site, there will be something to read. Thought for sure win/lose there would be a blog on today’s game. No such luck.

TMD11
    Participant

The football program is not really going anywhere. Same old mediocrity.

mak4dpak
    Participant

We obviously are all frustrated with yesterday’s loss, and upon seeing DD’s interview, he was too. Hopefully a wake up call for players and coaches. We started slow yesterday, but that is just not acceptable. Guess we will see next game. But again I still think ECU is a good team, and will continue to have a successful year. Losses are never good, but we were not dominated, and could have easily won that game. Special teams did us no favors. In the red zone 3 times, with no points to show.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Guess this season is done, with one loss. Our moderators are on strike, nothing to write about. This is State Fan Nation, not Doeren Fan Nation, right? Good or bad, I support the red and white of NC State.

tractor57
    Participant

At the end of the season I’ll count the markers.

redwolf87
    Participant

Well, if it’s possible, I have even less use for the place. And you’d better believe I didn’t even think about going down there wearing red last Saturday. Memories like Atlanta in 1992 don’t ever go away.

I would love to be an optimist. In this day and age (being a State fan in NC or the ACC), it’s impossible.

I never thought I’d say this, but I am thoroughly convinced that it’ll never get better. And, barring a miracle, the great USA as we knew it is (and has been) going the same route.

Oh, I’ll still keep my season tickets. I’ll still cheer at games and partake of good food and beverage and stay till the end and enjoy sitting outside and having fellowship (until the government finds a way to take that away from us). But, truthfully, when our worst fears (as much as we didn’t want to believe it) were realized as UNC arrogantly walked past the worst academic scandal in the history of college athletics, and we ended up in a division in the ACC that is a literal Murderer’s Row with no hope of conference realignment, and we realized that Johnny Swofford is pretty much going to live forever, and even if he doesn’t, he has sold the conference and by extension ourselves out to John Skipper (UNC) at ESPN…why would any hope of optimism exist?

We’re always going to be the foil. At one point, I’d never have believed this to be the case. But history will show that John Swofford becoming ACC commissioner, coupled with the witch hunt of Jimmy V, created collateral damage that I (forgive me) can’t see us ever coming back from.

Never thought I’d say this.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Sad that any news on NC State football seems limited, to non existent these days. But I will say it again. We have 10 more games to play, and being at the ECU in Greenville, I will not blame this on the coaches, though I may not have agreed with some of their calls, the coaches didn’t miss 2 FGS, or drop an obvious pick 6, that was right it the defenders hands. Those 2 things meant the difference in a win and a loss, not to mention ECU is a quality team, and we will see that as the season goes along, but so are we, and we will see that too, as these goes along. And I will be in my seat cheering my team on regardless, not just a fair weather fan. Also have the gala for Reynolds Coliseum, and hall of fame inductees, but nothing on that either.

(CD Edit/Reply 🙂 This is a well done castigation. Seriously. I’m sitting on a dock by the bay when I should be in Raleigh.

Where are you guys?

BassPacker
    Participant

I’m sitting on a dock by the lake but will be in Raleigh come game time. Will be interesting to see how the Pack comes out to play. They should have a chip on their shoulder, along with DD, and take it out on the OD.

highstick
    Participant

Sure was fun watching the Pie Rats get beat today!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^a week late and a couple of dollars short…

which must be exasperating for and OCDCPA!

mak4dpak
    Participant

Miscues by ECU cost them the game vs. USC, won all categories, including turnovers, which did them in, as we did the same vs. them in Greenville. But congrats to the team for getting back on track, yet still leaving room for improvement. Our QB continues to play well, with a 76% pass rating. And Hines didn’t even play yesterday, d/t injury. We get the week off, then 2 big home games vs WF, and ND. Both winnable, minus the miscues. Go Pack! Maybe you can earn your way back to getting a new blog.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.