Dozens of MBB Programs May be in Hot Water

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Dozens of MBB Programs May be in Hot Water

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Report: Dozens of teams potentially facing NCAA issues from NBA agent’s seized computer

But the real interesting nugget from Schlabach’s story comes from what the NCAA could do to the schools involved in the scandal. Schlabach reported that as many as three dozen Division I programs could be hit with NCAA violations based on information included in wiretap conversations, e-mails and cellphone records seized from former NBA agent Andy Miller. On the same day the FBI arrested the 10 men involved in the corruption scandal, Miller’s office was raided by the FBI.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/02/14/report-dozens-of-teams-potentially-facing-ncaa-issues-from-nba-agents-seized-computer/

tractor57
    Participant

The last line of the article says it best – “Even if all of the charges get dropped in this case, the NCAA will likely still have the final say in how everything will be handled.” Which probably means the rich get richer.

Fastback68
    Participant

What happened to Shoe Gate

ryebread
    Participant

This is shoe gate. Unfortunately for us it is focused on Adidas schools. We had Gott and his last year here he hired a known bag man.

It is amazing to me that Nike is just as bad if not worse, and they’re seemingly getting off at this point. That Phil Knight invitational was like a “Whose Who” of cheating.

GoldenChain
    Participant

Better watch out, the NCAA has been so tough recently, they don’t put up with any “stuff”!

ryebread
    Participant

In this instance though, it is the FBI and they have unreported payments (tax evasion) behind them. The NCAA won’t be able to duck that.

I’m just afraid that this is focused on Adidas because they’re a European company. Nike (a US company) is doing the same (or worse) and won’t have it come to them.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Not to worry, Gott and his cronies are gone, right? So no need to punish the school or current staff and players. 😐

GoldenChain
    Participant

If any of players or money was being funnelled to Raleigh from any brands the last couple years we need to be proactive and SUE the bystyrds!
    At least Mikey was able to deliver enough resources to xh to deliver some banners!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Hypocritcal and arbitrary as the NCAA is, they’ll be acting on this one.

john of sparta
    Participant

the boys in the blue suits at Justice don’t do infractions/violations like the NCAA.
    they talk time. as much as i wish the NCAA would dissolve, this just might do it.

Fastback68
    Participant

I was reading another 247 site last week that said the shoe case was dead due to fed mistakes. I went back tonight and the last poster linked the above information. Thanks for the info Wulfpack.

choppack1
    Participant

Yea. If I had e bet money, I would imagine we are on this list.

This is going to suck.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

Maybe Bubba at UNX can recommend some good lawyers to Debbie. Since no banners are in play we might get a discount.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Just one take:

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/college-basketball-corruption_us_5a862b94e4b00bc49f426f7e

Wulfpack
    Participant

Well here you have it, UNC is not involved:

North Carolina coach Roy Williams says he is confident the defending national champion Tar Heels weren’t part of the FBI’s two-year investigation into college basketball bribes and corruption.

“I feel very comfortable,” Williams told reporters in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. “If the phone rings at night, I’m not worried about that. I may worry about a lot of other things, but it ain’t about that.”

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22476693/roy-williams-confident-north-carolina-tar-heels-not-part-fbi-probe

GoldenChain
    Participant

Today’s Observer says UVA, Nova, Xavier, Purdue, Auburn, Kansas, Duke, Cincy, Clemson, Texas Tech, Michigan State, unx, Tennessee, tOSU, ‘Zona (Sean was on the big dollar agent gravy train and some of you were foolish enough to think he would come to Raleigh? Why would he do that?), Oklahoma.

Should we have our feelings hurt we’re not in the “A” group?

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/CharlotteObserver/Default.aspx#emlnl=eEdition

Wulfpack
    Participant

Eveeything I read indicated it is the “top” programs. Clearly, that hasn’t been us.

BUT, Keatts was at a top program prior to his time at UNCW. Let’s hope this investiagtion is after his time there.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I love ya like a brother but my wife (Summa Cum Laude MED ’80 and Golden Chain the year before I got in) has always told me “worry is like paying on debit you not ever owe”. She’s a lot smarter than this “lint head”. I pass it on as advice.

K9inTN
    Participant

I like the list. Mainly because we’re not on it and secondly because UNX is. But wondering why UL is no longer listed and it seems curious that Kentucky isn’t listed either. As a result, I find the list dubious.

Pack1997
    Participant

The list was the top 16 teams on the seed program, not those with issues from the FBI investigation. The quote was the majority of the teams listed on the seed show should worry, hence the list.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Keatts says State absolutely not involved in FBI probe.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article200913584.html

pakfanistan
    Participant

Keatts says State absolutely not involved in FBI probe.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article200913584.html

These days, a flat denial makes me thing we’re definitely involved.

But there’s no way we were involved. How embarrassing would it be to get pinched and still be as bad as we’ve been over the last two decades.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’ll take Keatts at his word for now, as I’m sure he did his own ‘vetting’ on the Wolfpack before he took the job…

Still.. NOT really means Not yet…

Crossing my fingers that we stay out of the cross hairs…
    Of course, consistently being the Champions of Tobacco Road ain’t gonna help that…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Well, Louisville vacating the 2013 banner.

I’d feel salty about that if I were them.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Well, Louisville vacating the 2013 banner.

Oh look, the NCAA got balls. I guess those hookers pushed them over the edge. Decades of academic fraud just wasn’t enough.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.