"Cupcake" Georgia Southern is now 8-2

Home Forums StateFans Football "Cupcake" Georgia Southern is now 8-2

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

I have known about Ga Southern for years. My brother is an App State grad and we used to talk all the time about this game. They have been a great program for a good long while. So I share that to inform you I am WELL aware if their success.

But the thing is they were playing in a different division. That DOES count for something. There’s a difference, and it is a big one. The historical record will confirm that. They are making the transition and having a good season. Yesterday was indeed a hiccup. Each game counts. They are a good solid team.

I would steer clear of questioning anyone’s fanhood. That’s all.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Does the name “Erk Russell” ring familar ??

Statesboro is in many ways a carbon copy of Greenville, down in Pitt County, and traditionally full of Georgia boys of exceptional athletic ability, who for whatever reason could not play in SEC…

They always have been a worthy opponent….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

I would steer clear of questioning anyone’s fanhood. That’s all

Considering some of the things I’ve read lately on this board, sorry but I can question it.

Smarter than the average bear

packplantpath
    Participant

The amount of discussion and the number of posters here seems to have declined, which is really too bad.

my opinion is the posts here lately are all idiocy or sanctimonious holier than thou bs.

This thread is a good demo of both.

Greywolf
    Participant

BTW Grey, this is my favorite version of that verse:
    A fool does not delight in understanding, but only wants to show off his opinions.

Yogi, think I’ll go with your favorite version — for a while at least. 😉

YogiNC
    Participant

sanctimonious holier than thou bs

I can live with that, if you were inferring to me . If it was the idiocy I’m afraid I’d have to cry foul.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Considering some of the things I’ve read lately on this board, sorry but I can question it.

Please don’t. Nothing good ever comes from it, and no one would be here if they weren’t a fan, whether we agree with them on certain things or not.

Rick
    Keymaster

Enough of the questioning fanhood. There are plenty of reasons to be positive and plenty to be negative. Just because someone views it differently than you does not make them less of a fan.

I do have one question. What about this post is not factual? Wuf was called names (ignorant, arrogant, negative, asses etc) when he posted it but no one has said what is inherently negative about it. Can someone help me with this? BTW I find it interesting that all of the above names come the group complaining about the negativity.

The facts are that Georgia Southern is a 3 loss team leading the Sun Belt. They lost by a wide margin to the juggernaut that is Navy yesterday. You can call the win whatever you would like to call it. But that is what they are this season.

Rick
    Keymaster

I would steer clear of questioning anyone’s fanhood. That’s all

Actually we allow a lot on this site but that is a strict no no. If that is going to be a problem then maybe you should go to the monkey board.

YogiNC
    Participant

So I’m not allowed to say I feel someone is being overly negative in their view of NC State?

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“I do have one question. What about this post is not factual?” – don’t go expecting the rah-rah, everything is sunshine and rainbows crowd to be able to objectively evaluate the program or the coaching staff. They are now emotionally invested in this coaching staff and they will defend them tooth and nail to the very end. I seem to remember SFN having this same problem about 10 years ago with some fans giving their undying love and support of a certain b-ball coach (not that DD is comparable to that b-ball coach; I’m comparing the emotional attachment certain fans develop with a coach earlier than they probably should).

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

So I’m not allowed to say I feel someone is being overly negative in their view of NC State?

I think that it would be better if you focused on the accuracy of the statements being made; or the completeness of the conclusions reached and stayed away from anything that could be regarded as a personal attack. That’s what I try to do when I counter points as opposed to saying that I think that the poster has their head up their a**.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

this thread is great at showing the dichotomy of the NC State fans… on the one hand you got the fans who are absolutely satisfied with squeaking past a Sun Belt conference team (again… SUN BELT CONFERENCE) and on the other hand you’ve got the fans who expect better. Which one of those is the better fan? Who gives a fart.

pakfanistan
    Participant

the rah-rah, everything is sunshine and rainbows crowd

on the one hand you got the fans who are absolutely satisfied with squeaking past a Sun Belt conference team

Strawman

on the other hand you’ve got the fans who expect better

What has NC State football done in it’s history to expect better? Our last conference championship was 35 years ago. We’ve only been ranked twice in the last 20 years.

Hell, our all time record is .509.

YogiNC
    Participant

Va, the problem is this whole discussion has been opinions. There is no quantitative measure of quality in terms of wins. There are those who feel at this point in time every win is a good one. Considering the dearth of talent and experience on this team valid arguments can be made to that extent. Others feel we have made a terrible mistake in hiring DD. My personal take is that he deserves a reasonable amount of time to get the job done. I’ve been involved in data mining and process improvement for over 20 years. The one thing I learned through all of it is that one person’s glowing report is another’s chicken little’s the sky is falling. I just tire of the watching the sky at every turn without giving the man a chance to prove himself.

And say what you want, but there were people taking shots at me in this post. My stand was I had quantitative data that said GSU is a good program and the veracity of attacks was pretty strong. Not one in the conversation said that I may have a point, just that I was hosed up (paraphrased) for thinking the way I do. It’s obvious others can take exception to what I think but I can’t do the same. Sorry Rick but if that’s what SFN has become then I think I’ll just take a hike. BTW, my bet is you’ll see others who share my feelings and will do like wise.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

There are those who feel at this point in time every win is a good one. Considering the dearth of talent and experience on this team valid arguments can be made to that extent.

Every win is always a good one…but that doesn’t necessarily mean that is something to crow about. Your claim of quantitative data on GSU doesn’t stand much scrutiny….unless you use the sliding scale you spoke of. You shouldn’t have been shocked when others reject your relativistic approach. (Note that I don’t remember anyone specifically complaining about GSU…which supposedly was the reason for this thread. Most of the complaints that I remember were about the weakness of the entire OOC schedule.)

Personally, I had 6-6 as the absolute best-case scenario for this year. So I’m happy that the team will reach or exceed my projection and show real progress over last year. Note that the ultimate goal is “good”, not just improving. But it would have been silly to have expected “good” this year.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Note that the ultimate goal is “good”, not just improving. But it would have been silly to have expected “good” this year.

Luckily, wins and losses are quantized so improvement has no choice but to lead to good.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Note that the ultimate goal is “good”, not just improving. But it would have been silly to have expected “good” this year.

Luckily, wins and losses are quantized so improvement has no choice but to lead to good.

Not so. After 10 years, the Herbavores were still trumpeting “improvement” over meaningful accomplishments…which is what it takes to meet my definition of “good”.

pakfanistan
    Participant

pakfanistan wrote:

VaWolf82 wrote:

Not so. After 10 years, the Herbavores were still trumpeting “improvement” over meaningful accomplishments…which is what it takes to meet my definition of “good”.

packplantpath
    Participant

Others feel we have made a terrible mistake in hiring DD.

Who? I only know of one infrequent poster who is ready to can DD. That is not a common sentiment at all. I’d say most have no clue how he will perform. What we know is he makes crappy lemonade when given lemons. But I think we all want him to succeed and most think he has a decent chance of doing so.

My stand was I had quantitative data that said GSU is a good program and the veracity of attacks was pretty strong.

Good program is relative. They are no bottom feeder who has no chance of winning against teams from power conferences, but nobody expects them to win those games. Seems to me they are a big fish in a little pond. This isn’t exactly david and goliath, but there is no way the playing field wasn’t tilted in our favor significantly. Since losing to them would have been a good sign this season was unlikely to meet the goal of bowl eligibility, I find it very hard for a close win to make me feel that great about the status of our program THIS YEAR. And the games since that one have not done much to improve that outlook for this season. Again, that isn’t so much a reflection of DD, as it is the state of the program he inherited.

Greywolf
    Participant

What about this post is not factual?

Rick, Navy is not a juggernaut. 😉

Wulfpack wrote:

The facts are that Georgia Southern is a 3 loss team leading the Sun Belt. They lost by a wide margin to the juggernaut that is Navy yesterday.

Sorry, but I thought the situation virtually screamed for just a little bit of levity.
    Please fix the title of this thread: “Cupcake” Georgia Southern is now 8-2 3.

Rick
    Keymaster

Va, the problem is this whole discussion has been opinions. There is no quantitative measure of quality in terms of wins. There are those who feel at this point in time every win is a good one. Considering the dearth of talent and experience on this team valid arguments can be made to that extent. Others feel we have made a terrible mistake in hiring DD. My personal take is that he deserves a reasonable amount of time to get the job done.

If it is all opinions then why crap on someone else’s?

I have questions about DD. I think anyone who is honest with themselves will because so far he has not really done that much to impress. Sure he has lost the games he was supposed to but so far he has really not won any he was not supposed to. That does not mean I am ready to can him or run him out of the state. It is foolish to fire a coach before he has had a chance to get his own players and he is showing “improvement”. How much of that is scheduling is certainly up for debate but I think that is your point.

People can be skeptical of what DD has done so far without wanting him fired or not being rah rah. I am not sure why that is so hard a concept.

GoPack83
    Participant

Correct pakfanistan my first eighteen years coincided with eighteen years of unprecedented cheating by our biggest rivals, a tough childhood college athletics wise.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.