"Cupcake" Georgia Southern is now 8-2

Home Forums StateFans Football "Cupcake" Georgia Southern is now 8-2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

The ‘2’ being an season opening, one point loss to us and a 4 point loss to GT. Their last two games are at 4-5 Navy and at home against currently 3-6 Louisiana-Monroe. They could very well end the season at 10-2 and undefeated in the Sun Belt conference.

Could someone refresh my memory as to how terribly we played to only win by 1 point against this cupcake?

Mike
    Participant

Thanks for posting Grey – I have been saying this all year as well. That was not a bad football team. Frankly they should have beaten GT, ranked #20, and in reality they should have beaten us.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Ga Southern Wins
    09/06/2014… Savannah St…. W 83 – 9
    09/20/2014… @ South Ala…. W 28 – 6
    09/25/2014… Appalachian St…. W 34 – 14
    10/04/2014… @ New Mexico St…. W 36 – 28
    10/11/2014… Idaho… W 47 – 24
    10/25/2014… @ Georgia St…. W 69 – 31
    10/30/2014… Troy… W 42 – 10
    11/08/2014… @ Texas St…. W 28 – 25

Sorry, not impressed. The best case was always “big fish; small pond” and prep for GT. One out of two isn’t bad.

Greywolf
    Participant

Sorry, not impressed.

Wasn’t posted to impress. It was posted to shine a light on one of our opponents who has been repeatedly referred to as a cupcake. Not many teams are undefeated (7-0) in their conference, whatever the conference — not Alabama, not Georgia, not LSU, etc.

You went to a lot of trouble to discredit Georgia Southern. I had given you credit for being bigger person than that. Sorry, not impressed.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Discredit is the wrong verb. They are a good team in their division, but that is it. The record amassed by a I-AA school is never going to be impressive, regardless of how you spin it.

YogiNC
    Participant

They are not I-AA, check your facts, they moved up this year. From wikipedia..
    The Eagles compete in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) …

Smarter than the average bear

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

they moved up this year.

That makes all the difference (not!). Their record (and State’s) speaks for itself.

Classof89
    Participant

It is never a good season when your top OOC win is a Sun Belt team, no matter how good they were in the Sun Belt. I refuse to get excited about Georgia Friggin Southern.

inhoc…
    Participant

I guess the take away is supposed to be “hey, we suck in our conference but we’re 1 point better than a stud in a conference of cupcakes!”

I get both sides. The win is definitely a little more “quality” than initially thought. GA southern definitely wassn’t a pushover per se, so credit to them (hate that term) for that, but yeah, I’m looking forward to the days where this program is elevated above this entire subject. Could be worse though. Coulda lost that one…

inhoc…
    Participant

IMHO It may be a toss up between USF and GA Sourhern for best OOC win…but I’m not even sure if that’s an argument worth having lol.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Act like asses if you want, but the point of the post was to show that Ga Southern is not the cupcake many of the ignorant claimed they were.

The point of the post was not to claim Ga Southern is a legit top 25 team. A team can be good (not a cupcake) and not be a top 25 team at the same time. Yet ignorance is defended with more ignorance.

Ga Southern would be a legit contender in the ACC Coastal.

To claim Ga Southern is 1AA displays one level of technical ignorance. To claim it doesn’t matter is a whole ‘nother level.

It’s why my visits here have become less frequent. The arrogance is one thing, the ignorance another, but the combo of the two in the same post is a totally different animal.

YogiNC
    Participant

^^^ Me too foose. Here’s a question for “those” people. How many championships has Ga Southern won in football? Take a guess, any guess more than one, and it’s more than just about all of the ACC teams, and their total championships is SIX, how many programs can say that? That is a program of excellence, has been for a very long time. The fact that they moved up to FBS AND they really should have won the Ga Tech game if not for incompetent ACC officials (how many times have we seen that?) is evidence to me that they are much better than the conference they are in. Add this to the mix, they aren’t up to the allowed scholarships (only 77 on this years team). Oh, one more thing, their coach happened to be a really good coach also, his prior team played for the national championship the last two years he was there. Yeah, it may be their first year in FBS, but their only losses were to two ACC teams and they just did lose to both of those. Cupcake THEY ARE NOT!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Ga Southern would be a legit contender in the ACC Coastal.

lmao. just like we would be a contender over there too right since we beat the almighty Georgia Southern.

Not many teams are undefeated (7-0) in their conference, whatever the conference β€” not Alabama, not Georgia, not LSU, etc.

lmao. comparing sunbelt to sec?

you guys keep it coming

Wulfpack
    Participant

App State has also won championships and we don’t beat our chests when we beat them. Just sayin’.

Ga Southern is an excellent program making the transition. They are a good solid team. I really cannot gauge how they’d do in the Coastal. My hunch is they’d win some and lose some as well.

Wulfpack
    Participant

And in other news Georgia Tech is spanking Clemson, a team from the Atlantic that spanked us. Oh, and Tech spanked us, too. Duke and Tech are both nationally ranked. So the Coastal may not be all that bad this year.

tjfoose1
    Participant

lmao. just like we would be a contender over there too right since we beat the almighty Georgia Southern.

Well, the dim-witted are easily amused.

By using that dumb ass transitive analysis, Ga Tech isn’t a legit contender.

This site certainly goes through its fair share of idiocy stages.

Wulfpack
    Participant

They are down 10 to Navy.

Wulfpack
    Participant

24-7 Navy in the third. I think this thread was probably just a bit premature. That would be a bad loss.

Wulfpack
    Participant

31-7 Navy.

YogiNC
    Participant

So what! Any and every team can have a bad day. Miss St is getting wiped by the Tide, I guess they are pretenders too. TCU is just getting by Kansas (a school that should stick to BB).

Wulfpack
    Participant

They have a nice program but don’t make them out to be what they aren’t. They are getting absolutely drilled by a very average Navy team.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Final score 52-19.

YogiNC
    Participant

So I guess 6 national championships is nothing. You have no idea what that program is all about. While they are still in the process of moving up a notch they just had a bad day. And while they do not play in a top notch conference they will move up. Lemme see, they took Ga Tech to the final minute and lost on a screwed up call by the replay officials. And last time I checked Ga Tech is in line to play for the ACC championship. Even if Ga Tech hadn’t won that game they would still be in line to play for the crown in the ACC and Ga Southern would have beaten one of the top teams. Oh yeah, one other thing, had we not beaten them we still would not be bowl bound.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Smaller words next time ‘foose. πŸ˜‰

wufpup76
    Keymaster

It’s why my visits here have become less frequent. The arrogance is one thing, the ignorance another, but the combo of the two in the same post is a totally different animal.

(I’m going almost completely off-topic here – sorry – but wanted to put my worthless $.02 on foose’s quote)

I don’t know man, I still find more (or better, I guess) discussion and discourse here than I do at other State sites that have basically become clique-ish circlejerks (though to be totally fair that has happened here as well in the past).

Personally speaking, I’d rather have everyone speaking their minds and debating – but there’s always gonna be the good with the bad I guess. Aimed at no one in particular (and definitely not at you, foose) I don’t always agree with how others present their statements/arguments or how some like to take subtle (or at times not so subtle) personal shots – but at least there is discussion here instead of ‘one’ voice.

The amount of discussion and the number of posters here seems to have declined, which is really too bad.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.