CFB 2015 Starts THIS Week: What do you expect from the Pack?

Home Forums All StateFansNation CFB 2015 Starts THIS Week: What do you expect from the Pack?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Well, the 2015 College Football season is just a few days away, with a pretty big slate (of mostly small schools) on Thursday this week.  But a couple
    [See the full post at: CFB 2015 Starts THIS Week: What do you expect from the Pack?]

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Predictions? I tend to stay away from them. But I would pick 8 wins if forced to guess.

If you’re looking for something to get amped for the season, I recommend the second half of the 2008 UNC/State game:

PS – Every State fan should subscribe to cylonwolf’s youtube site.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ Thought you were about to go all Clubber Lang on us there. 😀

tjfoose1
    Participant

Season already started Wuf. Montana upset 4 time defending FCS national champion NDSU on Saturday in a great game that went down to the wire.

Wolfpack nets 10 wins in 2015, minimum.

Texpack
    Participant

The Tom Herman era begins in the Scenic Third Ward as the Houston Cougars look to put enough fannies in seats to attract at P5 invitation.

TheCOWDOG

I would not be surprised with a 1 loss regular season.

…Nor with 3.

44rules
    Participant

I’ll take 9 wins in the regular season, 10 if we take the bowl game.Hope I’m wrong on the down side.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

I will say 10 wins (which includes a decent bowl). I will also prognosticate 1 big upset of the Tiggers or Noles, and a thumping of the Fighting Asterisks (that made me snort coffee, Wuf).

rthomas44
    Participant

Yawn……Wake me up in 30 days.

PapaJohn
    Participant

I expect Wolfpack sports as usual. We’ll lose one we shouldn’t and win one we probably shouldn’t. Another season of peaks and valleys. No consistency here.

If we don’t win 9 in the regular season, I think most of us will be disappointed and feel like we plateaued a little bit, but obviously our trajectory had to flatten out a little. We aren’t going to win 13 games.

I think a 9 win regular season, plus one in the bowl – for 10 wins overall would be great. How many times has the Pack ever won 10 in a season?

Well, according to this site, technically the answer is NEVER. But we did win 11 in 2002 when PR beat Notre Dame. But other than than, 9 is the best ever. So a 10 win season would be phenomenal!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NC_State_Wolfpack_football_seasons

tjfoose1
    Participant

Well, according to this site, technically the answer is NEVER.

Well, if you want to get TECHNICAL, you are WRONG.

The Wolfpack did win 10 games in 2002. However, it did not win ONLY 10 games. 🙂

It’s called the English language. Sorry pet peeve. Nothing personal. The bastardization and misuse of words and language have almost become the norm.

Words have meanings, as do punctuation. And no, I’m not referring to obvious typos,
    auto-corrects, and/or other errors resulting from mobile device use.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Looking ahead to Clemson perhaps or just because its tradition, we suffer the bi-annual bad loss at Wake (after an open date) thus ending our undefeated season to that point on 10/24. From there it’s business as usual….beating who we should and losing where expected. And that puts us on a two game losing streak going to BC where we struggle but pull it out despite that particular tradition. We win the first half at Fla St before they play a complete game, all in the third quarter, and blow us out. We recover and beat ‘Cuse at home before hosting the CHEATERS. And Cheaters never win. Despite finishing 9-3, the Wake loss keeps us out of a nice bowl. And if it’s not Wake, its one of those screwy high school road games….cause that’s what we do.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Once again, apologies to all for the above, especially PapaJohn. That was a general commentary aside, nothing directed towards him.

Now back to football…

I expect a win at Winston-Salem. Yes, I know the history, but I also know the HISTORY.

I also know the CONTEXT.

‘WTF’ loses are always a possibility with any team, any program. But as long as we keep Doeren, their frequency with the Wolfpack will be greatly reduced.

But then, what do I know?… Coach is in over his head.

For with Doeren, for the first time since Sheridan, the PROGRAM no longer has ankles of clay.

For you heathens out there, that’s a Biblical reference.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Totally agree ‘Foose. WTF losses will be greatly reduced under D. For me, Winston Salem is a phobia. Been there too many times…heading in expecting to win and coming out with my wolven tail tucked between my legs surrounded by drunken Baptists. Been beat by that stick too often to not fear it and thus, now, doubt the outcome.

13OT
    Participant

The road wins State needs most this season are in Mobile, Norfolk, Winston-Salem and Chestnut Hill. If they do this plus win at least 3 of their home ACC games, then I think State football will have taken a significant step forward.

A 4-4 ACC mark simply isn’t going to get this program up where it belongs. State issimply going to have to become an ACC contender before we’ll be taken seriously, which will help us land games (including bowl games) against opponents that will give us major exposure.

I see improvement over last season, but still think it’ll play out to 8-4 and a bowl I probably won’t buy tickets to.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Expect?? I expect a swift kick in the nuts because social conditioning. Don’t even trip, dawg. Not a Biblical reference, but very close (Rick and Morty).

If I get past that, I expect more of a consolidation year than anything. We DO beat Wake, go 9-3 and lose a decent bowl game, or 8-4 and beat up a shittier foe. We not ready for the bigtime quite yet, but we will show flashes, and next year we will curse not having one more year of Jacoby.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I understand. I too have been there in person for many of them (losses at Wake).

The pre-Ohio State one I distinctly remember. But that one had nothing to do with voodoo, it was 100% coaching.

I know that because I was there and saw what the coaches were doing, not what the tv was showing.

A la Dan Reaves and John Elway, Rivers was shackled by Mazzone’s (the departed Galbraith had been OC the previous year) play calling. In almost every pass play, State would send out 3 or 4 receivers, but none deeper than 12-15 yards. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Over and over and over.

I got so disgusted I started sharing my thoughts out loud in exasperation, also pointing out Philip’s obvious frustration with the play calling. Soon those around also saw the idiocy and began like commentary.

The rare exception in which a receiver would run a deep route was usually preceded with Rivers looking to the sidelines, throwing his hands up in disgust, then turning his back to the sidelines as he waved off the nonsense coming in.

There was definitely some ‘stuff’ going on that game, and on the sideline too. The body language of Philip was not difficult to read when communicating with coaches.

In my opinion, it played into the early poor play the following week and the suspect play calling at the end of the game. But that’s another story.

Late in the game and several scores down, the play calling finally opened up. Furious rally ensued, but too little, too late.

Anyway, the point being State was hamstrung by coaching, again. That is the ‘voodoo’ that has plagued the Wolfpack in Winston, not some sort of black magic.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Man alive, I am loving what teh Foose is selling this week. I just drafted a long broncos preview for a new NFL/humor site (that arose from the ashes of the sadly corporatized and ruined KSK), and I went on a long rant re Elway/Reeves. Still in draft until 2 September, but I will link it as soon as I can! Also bitched about this live at poker Friday night with a 49ers fan.

Heelh8r
    Participant

I am pretty scared of the VA Tech game at their place only six days after battling Louisville. And we have a hard time beating Clemson. FSU in Tallahassee will be tough but we have their number. So I’m going with 2 L’s, which may give us an extra game in Charlotte! That scenario will be hard to live up to, but I think we are loaded in all the right places and I like being optimistic.

bTHEredterror
    Participant

I’d bet on 8, but I could see it get to 10 if we take 3 of the 5 toughies (‘ville, hokie, iptay, holes and noles) and don’t slip in Chestnut Hill. I’m confident they will get 2 of the three at home. The Doak and Blacksburg feel like too much to expect.

What I know, is we will be no fun to play for anyone, and coaching isn’t likely to be our problem…….for a wonderful change.

Won’t be stunned to see the 1000 yard runner drought end, maybe twice in the same year.

PackFan
    Participant

I agree with the assessment that we probably lose one we shouldn’t and win one we shouldn’t. Winning the first 4, 2 of 3 through Lou/VT/Wake, Split Clemson/FSU, and 2 of 3 BC/’Cuse/UN* gets us to 9. 10 not out of the question. Winning in Tallahassee is tough, but late October is prime season for Clemson to pull a Clemson, right?

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

@BJD… got our family Christmas present all set. Annual Broncos game on the east coast in December. Seeing them play Big Ben at the Heinz on 12/20.

And yes… Reeves hamstrung Elway with bad coaching and teams, otherwise he would have two more rings.

Pack wins in Winston-Salem this year, makes the Cheaters not prosper, and get 10 this year. Book it!

44rules
    Participant

Well, Foose, the feet were partly made of iron.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

ryebread
    Participant

Maybe I’m just not drinking the Kool Aid like I should, but I don’t see 10 regular season wins on the schedule given that we play FSU, Clemson, Louisville and travel to VT. I don’t even seen 9. Mix that in with a trap game against BC, and I see 4 ACC regular season losses.

We’ll start off going 4-0 playing a soft schedule (though in S. Alabama a team better than its name suggests). From there, I think we’ll be 4-4.

We’re a year away. I kind of agree with BJD’s assessment.

Fastback68
    Participant

I expect outsiders (even many insiders) to be shocked by State’s success due to coaching, depth, s&c developement and discipline. All these areas have been lacking for a long time. It takes 3 years to iron things out.

I believe Hines’ ankles are made of liquid Mercury. That kid can skate.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.