CBS Sports Top 101 baskteball players

Home Forums All StateFansNation CBS Sports Top 101 baskteball players

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

I am not sure what to make of this list. It has freshmen (ones that have never played) ranked high but has Cat way down at 67. Both PAige and Meeks are ranked ahead of him. I have not heard of some of these players. It is just a weird list.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25336439/cbs-sports-top-100-and-one-college-basketball-players-for-2015-16

tjfoose1
    Participant

Not weird at all. It’s troll piece in search of clicks.

It has Duke’s Grayson Allen at 41.

tractor57
    Participant

In the end who gives a crap. Troll piece as ‘foose says.

Rick
    Keymaster

My bad. I tought it would be interesting to stop arguing about football. I will not make that mistake again.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I really don’t care right now either. It’s early. But Allen will be playing in the NBA so that doesn’t seem off to me. Heck of a young talent.

tjfoose1
    Participant

My comment was not meant as a criticism of the share.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Not weird at all. It’s troll piece in search of clicks.

Surely no one can be surprised whenever cbs puts up another troll piece. I’m sure that Doyel has taught them well.

PS – according to wikipedia, doyel left cbs for the indy star. With Doyel and Goodman gone, if they got rid of Parrish, cbs might be close to troll free.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Speaking of click-bait, CBS ranks all of college basketball
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25331040/cbs-sports-2015-16-ranking-of-every-college-basketball-team-from-1-351

1 – UNC
    5 – UVA
    7 – Duke
    20 – ND
    21 – UM
    32 – NCSU
    43 – Syr
    48 – FSU
    50 – L’ville
    60 – Pitt
    77 – WF
    90 – GT
    98 – Clemson
    109 – VT
    212 – BC

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Va,

At first I thought you were listing all of the teams in a Fibonacci sequence but then realized that it was just the ACC and all 206 teams in the conference.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The Fibonacci Sequence is the series of numbers: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, … The next number is found by adding up the two numbers before it. The 2 is found by adding the two numbers before it (1+1)

Yes I had to google it.

Just for kicks, I copied this ranking down for review on the Jan 1 entry where I look at RPI at the end of the pre-season.

tractor57
    Participant

No comment on the share – comment on the quality of the data (so called) in the link.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Just for kicks, I copied this ranking down for review on the Jan 1 entry where I look at RPI at the end of the pre-season.

Oh I can’t wait to see the unrealistic expectations meet reality. The denials and excuses will be flying around here.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Oh I can’t wait to see the unrealistic expectations meet reality. The denials and excuses will be flying around here.

I’m struggling to figure out what this means.

pakfanistan
    Participant

This is pretty cool.

http://gopack.com/news/2015/10/14/BAM-Testing.aspx

The improvement in player athleticism from 2012 to now is phenomenal.

Rick
    Keymaster

I cannot speak for Jig but my guess is similar to the football predictions, people are going to expect too much from this team. This team has some potential but the loss of Lacey really hurts. IMO there are some flaws that will keep us from being an “upper tier” team. I think we will make the tournament but with Lacey we could have been a real threat.
    As to the denials and excuses, again you can look at football as an example. Read the preseason thread and the most recent game thread.

Just to be clear this is in no way a ciriticism of Gott just my initial evaluation of the team.

Since74
    Participant

^
    “IMO there are some flaws that will keep us from being an “upper tier” team.”

Just out of curiosity, what “flaws” are you concerned about?
    I’m a bit worried about point when Cat is out and I think we may miss Kyle more than anyone has mentioned. If for no other reason than the chip that he always played with. (Rewatch the Duke game to see his best.)

Overall I’m optimistic and have high hopes for this group though.

redisgood
    Participant

I cannot speak for Jig but my guess is similar to the football predictions, people are going to expect too much from this team. This team has some potential but the loss of Lacey really hurts. IMO there are some flaws that will keep us from being an “upper tier” team. I think we will make the tournament but with Lacey we could have been a real threat.
    As to the denials and excuses, again you can look at football as an example. Read the preseason thread and the most recent game thread.

Just to be clear this is in no way a ciriticism of Gott just my initial evaluation of the team.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this assessment. The loss of Lacy is huge, and Kyle brought some strong intangibles to the table. A lot has to happen for this team to be really good. Injury free Cat, Henderson filling the Turner role, improvements from the Martins and Abu, emergence of another ball handler, a solid contribution from Rowan, and Beejay adding some scoring and rebounding to his shot blocking skills. I see no problem making the tourney, but a few things have to break the right way to go beyond that.

Rick
    Keymaster

Here are the flaws as I see them. Some may be fixed some I don’t think can be.
    1) PG – Any injury, bad play, fatigue, or foul trouble with Cat and we are in big trouble.
    2) Big men- we only have three one of which is coming off of a stress fracture and another is not known for his endurance. They also did not score a lot last year. We are going to need more scoring and less fouling from them.
    3) Go to player – Last year when we needed a big shot Lacey or Turner took it. Who is that going to be this year and are they ready for it?
    4) Press – we did not handle this well at times and only seemed to get better when Lacey handled it. Can Cat handle it?
    5) Shooting – Turner and Lacey are gone. None of the returning players have proven they are great shooters. There are a lot of potentials but will any of them prove they can do it?

I don’t think this will be a bad year just not a great one.

Texpack
    Participant

I can’t imagine people having really high expectations for this team. There are too many question marks to have high EXPECTATIONS. I do think this team has a high CEILING if all of the questions are answered in our favor.

Gott has shown an ability to maximize the results from flawed teams. We will just have to see how long it takes to identify our major flaws and how we can mask them. I’m mostly curious to see who will be the guy who can create and take the big shots. I will peg us in the 6-8 range in terms of conference finish. If everything clicks that moves up to 2-3.

It is never too early to discuss basketball, period.

Tau837
    Participant

I have high expectations. If they aren’t met, I won’t be back in here with “denials and excuses.”

MP
    Participant

^^ Amen; and ^ Amen.

We have a good coaching staff, good veteran players, and good incoming players. I am excited for this season and have high hopes. And I certainly don’t give a sh!t if anyone criticizes me for that!

Since74
    Participant

All good observations Rick.
    I thought Cat was pretty good against the press towards the end of the season last year though. As far as shooting goes you’re right that no one is proven but it seems like we have too many options for someone not to step up.
    The backup PG and bigs rotation will probably show problematic at times. Hoping for low frequencies and short durations on those fronts.

Tex I’m thinkin’ 6 to 8 is a bit low. I’ll go 3 to 6.

Wulfpack
    Participant

We can have a very good, even great, year. But there are uncertainties that have been very well stated as it stands today. Not unlike many teams. I definitely like what we have coming back.

Since74
    Participant

^
    I like that you use the term “uncertainties”. I don’t see us as a flawed team.

Rick
    Keymaster

All good observations Rick.
    I thought Cat was pretty good against the press towards the end of the season last year though. As far as shooting goes you’re right that no one is proven but it seems like we have too many options for someone not to step up.
    The backup PG and bigs rotation will probably show problematic at times. Hoping for low frequencies and short durations on those fronts.

Tex I’m thinkin’ 6 to 8 is a bit low. I’ll go 3 to 6.

Agreed, Cat was bette at the end of the year. My concern is how he will perform beign the only real ball handler. No relief.
    We could be anywhere from 3-9.
    Gott has proven to be good at finding and fixing flaws by the end of the year. But that is why our regular season is not great.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.