Bowling?

Home Forums StateFans Football Bowling?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    GoldenChain
    Participant

I think I just had some acid reflux or something thinking about this.

Does this seem familiar? Scheduling soft, squeaking out a late season win to become bowl eligible, going to some crappy bowl in a cold place or the armpit of the south, having to have the athletic department make up a shortage of poor ticket sales vs what the payout is.

As my mentor used to say: “the more things change the more they stay the same.”

NCSU football is proof positive!

BC beating Wake and both being bowl eligible means a race to the bottom.
    I’m thinking the Fort Apache, Maryland, or Shreveport. All sh!tty places to play a college bowl game.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I’m thinking Troll, Wuf, Rick, BJD, Yogi, me and the rest of the SFN gang plus a few non-regulars sitting in front of the Screen in the basement of the SFN house…

POPPING ’em!

Talking random sh#t…

and watching our PACK play Defensive Big Boy football against a worthy SEC/B1G/Big12 opponent…. nothing more, nothing less.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Fastback68
    Participant

Del Boca Vista Phase 3 Holiday Bowl in that Shibitcoin Stadium. Sure, why not.

McCallum
    Participant

We’ve got an alley in the nearest town.

McCallum

YogiNC
    Participant

^I’m thinking Troll, Wuf, Rick, BJD, Yogi, me and the rest of the SFN gang plus a few non-regulars sitting in front of the Screen in the basement of the SFN house…

And let Roo text us fan/wish you were here updates.

Ever since the ville game I’ve been silent about the FB team. I was disappointed. They didn’t show up but I’ve been there. you lose a heart breaker like the clemson game and it sticks with you. That one game could have been a signature win, and should have. It carried over. There were only two games we didn’t have a lead in, Da U and Da ville. Two years ago we would have been over joyed about that. This team was 7 points or less in 4 games away from a 10 – 2 season. Dalvin Cook only had 65 yards against us. Unfortunately 10 of that was for a touchdown late in the 3rd. How many of those games would have been wins with a decent FG kicker? At least 3. While most may look at our season and say it was an overall loss I look at it and think “man we were so close to having a REALLY good year”. We had one of the best DEFENSIVE lines in the nation. Those guys were stout. One other statistic to think about, this team is STILL pretty young. As DY said yesterday 65% are still fresh/soph. And a lot of those young ones are smack dab in the middle of the two deep.

Say what you want about DD but he is NOT anywhere close to being like HWSNBN. And you know the coaches and players were disappointed with those close loses. It’s easy for us to sit back here and fuss about results, but when it comes right down to it the only skin we have in the game is as a watcher. We can walk away from the TV or the stadium and go back to our daily lives. It’s a whole lot different when you spend HOURS, lots of them, preparing and lose heart breakers. Without skin IN THE GAME when it comes down to it you’re just an observer. And I know some will say WPC dues, tickets, parking, and such are skin, nope that’s just money. Unless you’re nursing an injury, or got your head handed to you in practice, or watched film from the game you should have won and said to yourself “man if we had just made that one play” then you don’t have skin IN THE GAME.

Smarter than the average bear

choppack1
    Participant

Say what you want about DD but he is NOT anywhere close to being like HWSNBN. And you know the coaches and players were disappointed with those close loses. It’s easy for us to sit back here and fuss about results, but when it comes right down to it the only skin we have in the game is as a watcher.

Actually I see a lot of similarities between Sendek and DD. I also see a lot of similarities between DD’s 4th season and Sendek’s fourth season.

The main difference I see in the first four years in that in his first four years, Sendek bad clearly moved the program forward in talent AND results, whereas DD still hasn’t reached the last conference record of his fired predecessor.

Sendek did eventually get it done, and while the painful collapses didn’t cost us tourney bids in his last 5 years, they still reared their ugly head on multiple occasions.

Time will tell if DD gets it done. He now has another year to focus on consistent improvement and build the program. I hope he gets it done.

As you rightly point out, we were very close this year. However, if the team is going to turn the corner, its executive leadership is going to have look hard at itself.

The good news is that the most difficult task – building a deep and talented roster capable of competing with college football’s elite – is done. Now comes the small details, the inches that will determine whether the 2016 season goes down as the season we were able to see the program DD had built (for long term success) for the first time or whether a chronic limitation was exposed that would limit the potential of the program under his leadership.

choppack1
    Participant

ESPN scroll just announced WAKE FOREST to Military Bowl. It would appear, that we are now headed to Shreveport.

Odd that wake would be selected in front of us. Maybe some back-room dealing?

13OT
    Participant

What could possibly be better than attending a December 26 Wolfpack football game in Shreveport?

Good luck in selling THIS holiday season turkey, Ms. Yow.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bah humbug.

choppack1
    Participant

Hey – I will take it. I doubt I go to the game, but at least it will be easy for me to watch….and i like that we will be going up against an sec opponent.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Vandy?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

We’ve got an alley in the nearest town.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/la/shreveport/crime/

The overall crime rate in Shreveport is 108% higher than the national average.
    For every 100,000 people, there are 16.32 daily crimes that occur in Shreveport.
    Shreveport is safer than 6% of the cities in the United States.
    In Shreveport you have a 1 in 17 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
    The number of total year over year crimes in Shreveport has increased by 12%.

lol no thanks

Wulfpack
    Participant

Vandy it is. 5pm on the 26th. Espn2.

YogiNC
    Participant

The Crime bowl?

Smarter than the average bear

BJD95
    Keymaster

I was happy we missed the Military because wanted an SEC for, but then we drew Vandy again. Blech. Poor Mike Glennon probably had a PTSD event when he heard that, too.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

The overall crime rate in Shreveport is 108% higher than the national average.
    For every 100,000 people, there are 16.32 daily crimes that occur in Shreveport.
    Shreveport is safer than 6% of the cities in the United States.
    In Shreveport you have a 1 in 17 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
    The number of total year over year crimes in Shreveport has increased by 12%.
    lol no thanks

Ah, come on. It’s December 26th. Everyone will still be full of Christmas cheer. Or too much eggnog.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Yogi, et. al.

Lest ye think that my superior education at NCSU was in vain….I ain’t going to Shreveport….I have had some GOOD bowl experiences…very few…but interesting none-the-less….and some really ugly ones.

I will NOT be texting updates from LA. Been to S’port on business and NO desire to go back. Froze my bottom off in 1963 at the Liberty Bowl where we had about 1000 folks, including the bands, teams, cheerleaders, etc. I think that the REQUIRED attendees outnumbered the optional ones….and then the university would NOT let us back in our rooms that night….got in around 2:00 or so and had to drive 3 hours home….and it started snowing….and my dad was a DOT worker and had to go to work and I did not see him for about 2 days. I do have a VIVID memory of that.

Been to Florida for a few bowls, maybe 3. I THINK that we are about 1 for 3 on the wins there. Was in Orlando when I hitched a ride into the stadium on a WP Charter bus. The driver, so lively and quick, was a dead ringer for St. Nick…

He was around 80 and walked with a cane. He pushed his way through traffic and we went by the bottomless places and saw the hookers setting up shop around the stadium. We LOST..

Did the Gator bowl twice….once was the FOG bowl. LOST. Was there when we beat ND….great experience.

Did the Belk or Tire or whatever bowl twice….last one was in the rain and we got CREAMED….we did win one against Louisville before in the Panther lair.

AND, last but not least….the Papa John.com bowl in Birmingham. We were in the parking lot in a Motor Home and the cops came by and said….”If it were me, I would NOT spend the night here….all the private security left”. I had personally talked to the ESPN bowl director (ESPN ran it). We were promised overnight security AFTER the bowl. SO, we found a Truck Stop.

Have made a few of the BB trips….

BUT, I did NOT call WP Travel and make sure that I had an early priority number. It is ALL UNC’s fault. They had a team meeting and decided that they wanted the HAT back. SO, they threw the game. They also knew that if we won, then the 11 commandment (have you ever turned over the two tablets of stone?) said….Ye shall NOT fire a coach, regardless of how bad the season is, IF he beats UNC.

Ask TOB and CtC about that….

I will do a small survey of my loyal WPC buddies and see how many of them are going. NOW, if I wanted to go back to NO and were driving the MH and state were playing….I might consider it….but that ain’t going to happen.

We need to find our “in the field” correspondent….

I was STILL hoping for the Deplorables Bowl….the one that is held in Podunk….where a clean pickup is a violation of local ordinances….and you also have to have a two gun rack….and one has to have a fully auto AR-15. Now THAT would be my bowl of choice.

The Whine and Cheese crowd is going to happy that El Paso is a “Sanctuary” city….the only good thing I remember from my trips there where we met with the architects and developers and contractors to build a plant in Mexico….(remember, I am ONE of Ross Perot’s Great Sucking Sound enablers)….There is local BBQ joint called “The State Line”. Nothing fancy and the locals love it. That is all I remember….as there ain’t NO place that it was safe to go in 1999 and I’ll bet it is WORSE now….

I had friends that worked across the border and they were planning on leaving when they retired….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^That makes B’rer ‘Roo the guy in the middle of the front row in the picture posted above….

Welcome Back.

B’rer ‘Roo, you know, you just could invite us all over to your house in West Rawlee for the game…
    I’ll bring a couple of bushels of oysters and the steammers…

I’m sure Mrs. ‘Roo would love to meet all of us!

Tell her… we’ll all be gone by 11pm….
    … and If it’s not freezing… we can all party in your yard around the ‘RooMobile… we’ll just piss on your trees… we don’t even have to go in Mrs. ‘Roo’s house.

choppack1
    Participant

Since it’s going to go this route:

Been to peach Bowl’s, Tampa (hall of fame?), 2 Gators, 3 Charlotte (belk, tire and whatever), 2 in Miami’s Joe Robbie, and 2 in Rolando.

Best spot before the losing game – toss up between staying @ fort Lauderdale before the game with U and NYE in Atlanta before Peach Bowl (vs. ECU).

They are all fun if done right. I can’t do this one right.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Chop…

You KNOW we ALL can do B’rer ‘Roo’s yard… RIGHT !!!

——————–

fwiw… I’ve done ONE Wolfpack bowlgame…
    Peach Bowl…
    First date with my wife that weekend too!

didn’t ever think I could duplicate that, so I didn’t really try….
    :>}

TheCOWDOG

Bad dog, here. Never been to a college Bowl game that I didn’t play in. Y’all got me whupped.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^But you played in the one I went to… so Cuz.. give yourself a break…
    in spite of the fact it was colder that sh#t that night in Hotlana.

Can you help with ‘Do B’rer ‘Roo’s yard bowl party???

choppack1
    Participant

Botb -unfortunately, can’t do Raleigh or any other locale (other than Winston.)Only good thing about this game is that I can watch it, enjoy some libations and show up to work on time in the AM.

Cowdog – playing in one is like attending 20.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

‘B’RER ‘ROO’S YARD BOWL…
    12/26/16

Pregame: 3:00pm
    Kickoff: 5:00pm
    Gameover: around 8:30pm… if the Pack wins… otherwise, earlier…
    Most everybody back home: before 11:00pm

Work the next day, if you GOTTa go… not a big deal…

Why Not???

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.