Blatant Non-Sport. Should The Donald Push For The Legalization Of Marijuana?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Blatant Non-Sport. Should The Donald Push For The Legalization Of Marijuana?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

I always love the ‘xyz is dangerous so let’s legalize anything that’s dangerous’ argument. There are certainly good arguments for legalizing pot. This and’alcohol is bad too’ aren’t examples of good argumen.

How about the, xyz is demonstrably less dangerous that alcohol (zero overdoses in human history), and has been shown to have therapeutic benefits, so why do we follow a completely irrational policy of keeping it schedule 1 (no medical use, most potential for abuse) when nobody gives a happy horsesh1t if you wake up and have an irish coffee.

McCallum
    Participant

Define therapeutic benefits please.

Some oils from marijuana have been shown to help people with certain types of seizure issues. There are benefits found therein most any product. I also believe there are benefits from some chemical compounds with marijuana but overall this legalization non sense is being by pushed by a bunch of losers seeking to leave reality.

Help and the easing of suffer should be extended to those in need but nothing and no mercy for the stoners.

McCallum

pakfanistan
    Participant

Well, first, understand that because we’ve made it schedule 1, it’s very difficult for people to do research. But, it’s shown potential for treatment of seizures as you mentioned, pain, nausea, weight control for cancer and HIV patients, and slowing tumor growth.

If it’s the recreational use you’re opposed to, are you also against people who drink for entertainment? Do you think we should make alcohol illegal for non-medical uses?

MrPlywood
    Participant

One of Justin Trudeau’s campaign planks was legalizing pot. That has not happened yet, but “Medical Dispensary” shops are popping up all over Victoria, Vancouver and BC in general, cart before the horse, which has been interesting. Vancouver has more pot shops than Tim Hortons, which gives you an idea of the demand.

There is a lot of recreational use here. I don’t partake, but I know plenty of people who do, young and old. I don’t use it, not opposed to it, just never really liked it.

I can speak to the medicinal benefits, as my wife uses THC gummies for chronic pain relief. She says that a $1 gummy works far better than the $15 pill she was prescribed. She’s been trying to reduce the amount of medications that she takes, and the THC has been a big help. I used to get a couple of joints for her from one of my friends, but she prefers the gummy as opposed to smoking.

So far no signs of addiction or hallucinations 😉

Rick
    Keymaster

Well, first, understand that because we’ve made it schedule 1, it’s very difficult for people to do research. But, it’s shown potential for treatment of seizures as you mentioned, pain, nausea, weight control for cancer and HIV patients, and slowing tumor growth.

If it’s the recreational use you’re opposed to, are you also against people who drink for entertainment? Do you think we should make alcohol illegal for non-medical uses?

Your first paragraph is a good argument, your second is mindless recitation of talking points. It’s irrelevant at to whether marijuana should be legalized.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Your first paragraph is a good argument, your second is mindless recitation of talking points. It’s irrelevant at to whether marijuana should be legalized.

Please explain how asking a question is ‘mindless recitation.’ Further, please explain what makes one substance OK for recreational consumption and another not.

MrPlywood
    Participant

They are both legitimate questions.

Rick
    Keymaster

Please explain how asking a question is ‘mindless recitation.’ Further, please explain what makes one substance OK for recreational consumption and another not.

Fine. Let’s get rid of alcohol.
    What’s your next point?

Rick
    Keymaster

Might as well get rid of caffeine. It is ‘bad for you’ too.
    This is fun.
    Okay, now we are getting somewhere.
    Oh yeah. Lard. That is really bad for you. So no more of that.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I like turtles.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Personally I think it’s cruel and unusual to watch State basketball sober, and with these 9pm games I’d prefer not to have to go to work hung over.

TheCOWDOG

I like the no smoking in restaurants and bars stuff. It affords the break to still communicate with others.

I don’t care so much about the arguments for legalization. I am much more interested in why it was banned in the first place

pakfanistan
    Participant

“You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities,we could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

-John Ehrlichman

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

WP ate my damn post… another one… up in smoke…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

WP ate my damn post… another one… up in smoke…

Thanks Obama Donald.

McCallum
    Participant

1) Research has been done in other countries in addition to the research done here. Bottom line health wise, and we are not talking people who need help with pain, nausea, etc, is that using marijuana alters both short term and long term health from memory to mood to progeny health to intelligence.

Alcohol has only been shown to lower IQ for people who drink Natural Light and Duff beer.

2) Of course I’m opposed to recreational use of marijuana and support extremely tight control of it unless there is a need that other medicine can not provide.

I don’t know anyone that drinks for entertainment. I do know people that drink because a) it has a social function which is accepted in most all cultures and is thousands of years old, b) there are clear health benefits with the consumption of distilled and fermented spirits and wines, c) because they are addicted and or want to escape reality.

The issue you are attempting to place focus on is the social upheaval caused by people that can not handle alcohol. I fully agree with you in that. Alcohol should be strictly limited.

I hand you back the catch 22 you supplied.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

my wife uses THC gummies for chronic pain relief. She says that a $1 gummy works far better than the $15 pill she was prescribed. She’s been trying to reduce the amount of medications that she takes, and the THC has been a big help.

let me see…

the prescriptions were legal, probably opiates…

so the debate is over..
    legal opiates v. illegal THC && CBD… at 10x the cost

hell of a choice, gents…

A “Moral Dilemna” ???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

I don partake but I see no reason to think pot is more dangerous that alcohol, prescription meds and even that donut you had this morning. Yes there are issues for some but I can say the same for all the things I mentioned. To me the issue is driving while impaired (pot, alcohol, prescription meds and maybe even that donot taking your attention away from the job at hand). Minus that I really don’t care.

Rick
    Keymaster

I added the posts I could find

Wulfpack
    Participant

Alcohol is a wrecking back for those that can’t handle it – as well as for the rest of us that do our best to consume respnsibly.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Conclusions. Operational MMLs are associated with reductions in opioid positivity among 21- to 40-year-old fatally injured drivers and may reduce opioid use and overdose.

Read More: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303426

gso packbacker
    Participant

Conclusions. Operational MMLs are associated with reductions in opioid positivity among 21- to 40-year-old fatally injured drivers and may reduce opioid use and overdose.

Read More: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303426

Interesting. Sounds like a future government grant to study those most at risk of opioid addiction and get them smoking really good stuff early on so they won’t feel as compelled to move on to opioids.

Tau837
    Participant

Yes, it should be legal. The presumption should always be that something should be legal until/unless we have compelling evidence that it being legal does sufficient harm to our society to compel us to make it illegal. IMO there is no such compelling evidence of that for marijuana, thus it should be legal.

Furthermore, the longer it remains illegal, the longer our society will have associated negative effects, such as increased crime, including violent crime; increased spending on law enforcement; and increased spending on incarceration. It also precludes the Govt, whether state or federal or both, from regulating and taxing production and sales. So financially it is a double whammy to taxpayers.

As others have pointed out, the status of other things like alcohol and tobacco do not directly bear on the answer to this question about marijuana. However, IMO it is non-controversial to say that alcohol and tobacco both cause much more significant harm to our society.

Tau837
    Participant

But, it’s shown potential for treatment of seizures as you mentioned, pain, nausea, weight control for cancer and HIV patients, and slowing tumor growth.

Yes, and yet it is still illegal for these purposes in most states. My wife suffers from chronic pain, and it is mildly helpful to her. We live in CA, so it is legal for her to use it here. Before we moved here, she was forced to either avoid it or use it illegally. Lousy choice that no one should have to face in this day and age, particularly given the Govt’s ongoing witch hunt against opioid use.

44rules
    Participant

Legalize weed and all other drugs. Complete pharmaceutical freedom. It’s not the business of Hillary, Donald, Ted Cruz, Bernie or the local sheriff what substances I ingest or not – this coming from a teetotaller when it comes to drugs.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.