BJD Answers Your Unasked Hoops Questions!

Home Forums StateFans Basketball BJD Answers Your Unasked Hoops Questions!

• This topic has 46 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Rick.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Just gonna leave this here for your ridicule and/or derision.
    http://gopack.com/news/2016/3/1/made-in-march.aspx

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I saw that State had new post-season uniforms. I’m assuming that we’ll see them for a game or two in the ACCT.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I haven’t bothered to go back and pull up links re: last yr’s post season unis, but my impression is that these are basically retreads of those, at most. Not that I care about post season unis personally, but I did enjoy everyone else hating on them last year.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Last year’s….

Could always be worse tho…

FergusWolf
    Participant

Don’t forget the unitard!

Unitard!

LRM
    Keymaster

How are the 2012 Jimmy V Classic uniforms not in our standard rotation of alternates?

We spend so much time overthinking how to market ourselves. And the main issue is we hardly market to ourselves.

john of sparta
    Participant

i’ll play.

BJD:
    1. are Gott and Yow linked such that one won’t leave without the other?
    2. does our student demographic work against us on our home court?
    3. when the Hurricanes move, will the PNC go “all in” for the Pack?

more details:
    1. she hired him. she has to fire him. or she retires.
    2. our India-Paki crickets don’t show up in the stands.
    3. yeah. ATL lost theirs. we’ll lose ours.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Bill,

Congratulations, you and momma bear have done outstanding. She has obviously inherited ya’lls work ethic, communication and athletic skills, and smarts. Ya’ll obviously have a bunch of influence over her too since she has done THAT well!! I am glad my suggestions of spunky defiance mixed with political sabotage and slight aloofness worked!! Unfortunately, can’t take any credit….you and momma bear are the heroes.

How exciting for your college prospects. It would be good if she could squeeze in some college visits. Collegiate athletes have it made whether it’s a large university or a smaller college. The moment you walk onto the campus- you will have an instant support system- your coaches and teammates (who will be like having a bunch of older sisters – older sisters who know how to get through her coursework, attend the parties with the cute guys, have fun, work hard, and provide emotional support which she will need a lot of especially the first semester). She won’t be a number. Professors will know her and ask her about the team and schedule. They will be proponents – not ambivalent. Her coach will take care of the registration, food, and living quarter issues.

She will have extra student services like tutoring too. She will also get special treatment with her classmates. She will be an instant “leader.” Yeah, she could probably get support from a sorority but she won’t have the hazing nor will she have to pay to have shared experiences with friends. She will pay with the shared experience of sweat equity. She will not get this opportunity again. She can always go back or extend her college years by getting her masters degree.

When she’s a collegiate athlete, she’ll be a part of an athlete community. She’ll meet people from other sports and have an instant bond with them. She will be invited to the best parties.

I would be lying if I didn’t recognize that yes, it is A LOT OF WORK. She will be WATCHED (parents like this). Most of her days will be planned out for her. Guess what- when she enters the working world….she’ll be ready with her work ethic and leadership skills. She’ll have the confidence to take charge. Sports roles are very similar to the work environment roles. She’ll know what to look for and what to stay away from. Talk about transferable skills.

I would encourage her to try collegiate sports. If she doesn’t like it, she can transfer (the first two years of college credits are highly transferable)or just not play. It is important that she gets to meet some of her future teammates. They will become her family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whatever (unless it’s a very dumb) decision she makes, it’ll be the right one because it’ll be her decision. However, you are going to be writing a lot of checks. You can’t let her make bad decisions.

Reality check: what you need to do is sabotage the college visits so that your school will come out on top. Also have your school of choice’s fight song as her morning alarm. You don’t let her eat unless she recites the school’s motto and then you buy her a “lucky” t-shirt to wear every Saturday. You then announce that you will be the one to decide and until she gets a job to pay for her own apartment that will be the way it is. Or you take away her transportation or favorite toy until she sees things your way. Or you can take her for a Sunday drive every weekend to your #1 choice until she gives in. It’s really all about attrition.

Well done Bill and I think you should be the one giving Rick advice. You’ve done an amazing job!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’ll be forever before I graduate. OK, maybe 2-3 years. On my last class and then it’ll be dissertation time. Been at it since 2012. I’ll be glad to have a life again but I will miss the learning and sharing with classmates and advisor.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Dr. Wuf….

1. Mamma Bear approves….

2. If NC State had a D1 Women’s Lacrosse Team… there would be no need for “college visits”…
    plus …. “we” could bring a half a dozen girls with us to Raleigh who will be getting lacrosse scholarships elsewhere…

3. Yeah… I made a suggestion or two to Coach Rick… he learning…. you know it takes more than one season to “transition” from player to Coach…

AND MOST IMPORTANT…

Girl, do I need to come up to Raleigh and talk to you face to face about what we need to do to get you that last degree ???

You know, I will….

:>}

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    DrWuffette1day
    Participant

OK, I’ll give my good stuff regarding motivating girls. I can’t resist (Bill’s advice supersedes mine with his proven success!). Make losing less fun and make winning more fun.

MAKE LOSING HURT EMOTIONALLY AND PHYSICALLY

. Run them for losing. Run them for missed layups and free throws IN PRACTICE. Run them for poor shooting percentages. Run them for bad defense. RUN THEM UNTIL THEY CRY AND THEN ADD A LAP.

Run them more than the track team. Girls will be very grumpy and cop attitudes but they also like the added benefits of running (lose weight, bonding by talking about their pain and coach, etc). Run them until someone throws up (maybe not for a 10 year old but you get my point). Then run them another lap.

After they are dead and are lying on the gym floor without even having touched a basketball. Coach, tell them playing basketball is a privilege and that any athlete can run. Ya’ll are special by playing basketball only 5 of them can play at one time- all working together like a machine. That you care about them and don’t want them to be satisfied with status quo. Talk about desire and the will to win. Losing should hurt. Never allow losing to be ok. (Get some dialog- buyin. Address only the leaders, who will respond appropriately and they may not be your best players. Other players will make fun of them or belittle them so make sure they can handle themselves. Later in the season, they will be respected…go back to them for leadership q’s… Ask them if they like losing? -girls like to talk stuff out more but control the conversation…(if you get a loudmouth…everybody runs again immediately…. you want operant response and behavior) What will it take to win?- after you get a couple of comments….move on and restart the lecture) Talk about how all the pain on the outside strengthens their mind and nobody can take that away but them if they choose to give that away. Tell them that this will make them better on the court and off the court. You may not know it now but you will see. Believe. Believe in yourself. Believe in your teammates. Believe in winning. They are winners. Believe.

Then do layup drill and those who miss layups have to run a lap. Then run through plays (more “complex” drill and makes practice meaningful. Then shoot free throws (they expect this drill) and run those who miss- probably all of them because their legs will be jello. (Then Run them again when they are sore the next day. Repeat speech but add importance of conditioning and hot guys will like them. Ask leaders how they fill and about commitment to the team and themselves. Personal pride. What does it mean to them? )

Winning will become more valued and fun. There’s also a mindset switch being the fittest team on the court. Run. Run. Run. The other team may win but they will have to work hard.

(May want to disregard hot guys remark for 10 year olds….replace with this is what collegiate athletes and hs athletes do….really good response getting a hs player describing their watershed moments of losing/winning.)

Once they learn to be very sad about losing (the game and the thereafter), they will listen to you more attentively. There will be period of hate. But at the end of the season, you will get a lot of hugs. Just getting 10 year olds to want not to lose and to get them to pay attention to you and the game is a huge deal for a 10 year old.

Run should equal hard work and pain. They should be dying to have the opportunity to do basketball drills. Pain, pain, pain. But has to be consistent. If they win, make a big deal and reward appropriately too. Show/talk about highlights of the game. Give out “awards” at the end of practice. Practice is leverage.

Rick, if I see you in the paper for abuse, I don’t know you but will be a little proud of your efforts. Another suggestion: summer basketball camp.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Csn anyone recommend a good cpa in Raleigh? Prefer inside belt line but will drive.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Nobody wants to graduate more than me. It’s about a 6-7 year process going at it PT. I work a FT job too. BTW, it’s not a UNC program!

Disappointed that State doesn’t have a Lacrosse team. That would have made life to easy. Congratulations again…absolutely fabulous!

choppack1
    Participant

John of Sparta – funny I don’t see that demo impact football attendance so much.

BassPacker
    Participant

Whiteshoes, not sure what you need expertise in CPA but recommend Keith Joyce and Company, CPA in Apex. He studied accounting at State and was awarded the Katherine Guthrie award for the highest overall CPA score in North Carolina

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Thanks bp.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Dr. Wuf, et al ….

BOTB Rule #1…

No F’ing Whining Allowed…
    Whiners lose and Losers whine…

Let your feet, your hands and your stick do your talking for you….

:>}

Rick
    Keymaster

I finished the season with the girls. We ended up 3-3-1. Our last four games they went 2-1-1. The last game we were down 12-4 going in the fourth quarter. We tied it 12-12 went into overtime and won 18-12. I have to admit it was a pretty exciting game. The defense finally clicked for them and they really stymied the other team. My littlest ones were some of the toughest. The biggest problems I had were on offense where its harder to hide a lack of skill. It was one of the more fun teams I have coached (I coached my son for 6 years and my daughter for 5). I would have liked to have more practice time to work on fundamentals more but I saw huge improvement from everyone of the girls.
    The difference in coaching boys and girls is this simple, if boys are winning they will have fun. If girls are having fun they will win.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Gaudio would likely create a buzz in recruiting. From some in the know at WF, I think he was fine as an assistant. THe problems started when he got the head role. And these weren’t just off-the-court issues with players. Problems with faculty, problems with alums, problems with admin, problems with AD dept staff. Muchos problemas. Maybe its a nonissue as a assistant, but I’m also not sure Gott is a great enough manager to mitigate asst coach problems…Given that Gott’s philosophy seems to be outrecruit everybody and fill out your roster with transfers, Gaudio might help.

Rick
    Keymaster

Maybe add Seth Greenburg and we can corner the “fired, ex-TV announcer coach” market.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

The difference in coaching boys and girls is this simple, if boys are winning they will have fun. If girls are having fun they will win.

If this is a “Coach Rick” original line… then it’s an instant classic!
    If not, then it’s still the best I’ve heard regarding the difference between coaching boys and girls….

—————————

Great Job on the turnaround Coach Rick…
    I was feeling a certain uncertainty from you after the first couple of games…

Rick
    Keymaster

If this is a “Coach Rick” original line… then it’s an instant classic!
    If not, then it’s still the best I’ve heard regarding the difference between coaching boys and girls….

—————————

Great Job on the turnaround Coach Rick…
    I was feeling a certain uncertainty from you after the first couple of games…

Thanks. The uncertainty was because I had so many girls that had never played. On my past teams I always liked to give each girl a chance to score. I would let them run point and then run plays to get them open. On this team I could not even attempt to do it as I only had 1 1/2 players who could even dribble. But they improved a lot and I changed the way I do things and it ended up working. Thanks for the advice.

As to the saying, I wish I had said that originally. I am not nearly that clever.
    Another great line I heard on the differences in coaching boys and girls is this… Boys will do everything but what you tell them to do. Girls will do exactly what you tell them to do and nothing more.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.