BJD Answers Your Unasked Hoops Questions!

Home Forums StateFans Basketball BJD Answers Your Unasked Hoops Questions!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

After the latest failure against the Holes…

Is there any value in putting Henderson back on the court?

None whatsoever. I will let VaWolf speak to the maths, but there is no longer any feasible pathway to avoiding ACCT Tuesday play. Which means no deep run, which means no NIT. The loss also means there’s no chance the regular season can get us to the NIT bubble.

Henderson can get in any basketball-related workouts with next season’s backcourt partners (i.e., Dorn and Smith), since they are both on campus and with the team. There’s no reason for him to be developing any chemistry with Cat Barber, other than inviting all of us to engage in more pointless speculation/projection. Like the Red Hot Chili Peppers sagely noted “coulda been, woulda been, shoulda been, DID.”

What about the CBI?

To the staff’s and players’ great credit, they’ve kept fighting. Both in games and in practice (with only minor exceptions). That is MUCH easier said than done in average dumpster fire seasons when you have no realistic chance of getting out of the hole that’s been dug.

That said, they are mentally and physically exhausted. Let them leave it all on the floor in DC, that is the end-all, be-all for the wolven post-season. I would also posit that the CBI is beneath our dignity and a vast waste of resources absent extremely compelling circumstances (long post-season drought, very young team, early in a coach’s tenure), none of which apply here.

Still on the mulligan season train?

Of course. THAT IS WHAT MULLIGAN MEANS. I am pleased we are on track for at least 5 wins. 6-12 would be a huge relief, all things considered. Overall .500 is my reasonable end goal.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Does anyone know definitively what the hell happened to Henderson and why it has taken months and he still cannot practice?

Rick
    Keymaster

Does anyone know definitively what the hell happened to Henderson and why it has taken months and he still cannot practice?

I think it is safe to assume his injury is either worse than thought or it is not healing effectively. Hoping that does not bode poorly for next year. Relying on three guards that have played no competitive basketball in over a year and two coming off major injuries is not exactly comforting.

Rick
    Keymaster

Agree about the CBI. The CBI is for a coach building something up from a bad place.

tractor57
    Participant

Another reason Henderson would be of little help this season:
    http://gopack.com/news/2016/2/25/freeman-update.aspx?platform=hootsuite

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Counselor….

Would you prepare the necessary documents on behalf of Anthony Barber alleging NONSUPPORT from his TeamMates and the HOMECOURT CROWD?

The film from last night should be more than sufficient evidence to gain an admission of guilt and a decent settlement without prolonged litigation… that coupled with the fact that I’ve cannot EVER remember hearing sneakers squeak at any NCState home basketball game against an ACC opponent.

Finding additional “witnesses” to these facts should not be an issue…

I’ll pay the filing fees….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

Another reason Henderson would be of little help this season:
    http://gopack.com/news/2016/2/25/freeman-update.aspx?platform=hootsuite

Well that sucks. I wonder if it is something he will be dealing with his whole like Sam Bowie or Yao Ming.

Wufpacker
    Participant

If it’s not healing correctly, and a stress fracture COULD be evidence of that (I stress “could”…no pun intended) they need to get that pin out after the season and imobilize that boy.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

State is two games behind FSU and GT and three games behind VT with three games left to play. State plays on the road against SYR and ND and hosts BC. So it is practically impossible to pass both FSU/GT and avoid ACCT Tuesday. An improbable tie against anyone wouldn’t help since State is 0-4 against FSU, GT, and VT.

Rick
    Keymaster

State is 0-4 against FSU, GT, and VT.

We got worked by the football schools. Sigh

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

BJD, please help and answer my unasked question.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Hello…. Dr. Wuf
    BJD is apparently available for questions other than his own only on a fee basis… :>}

Two questions for you, if I may…

1. Has your day come and you’ve not updated your SFN username? I’m thinking … yes! :>}

2. Remember that little girl of mine who played lacrosse? here’s your update on your advice three years ago….

Senior Year just starting… she’s a 4 yr starter, all conference, leading scorer, team in the playoffs two out of three years and playing center… the little assistant Coach on the field…

Great Job …. Dr. Wuf! :>}

Now there’s a few small Colleges talking seriously/money, but she says she wants to play ball and have a “life” too…

What do I say?

—————

And o yeah… if you have time… Rick of SFN fame is coaching a bunch of young girls (10-11 yr olds_) on the hardwood… needs all the help he can get….
    perhaps he’s over strategizing and it appears from down here at the beach that he doesn’t yet understand how to effectively motivate women…

which BTW has nothing to do with the shared propensity for him and Mr. Dog to on occasion get under each other’s skin… that’s not the same thing…

Can you help Coach Rick with his ballteam??? :>}
    the other is way over all of our heads….

Peace

BJD95
    Keymaster

November 2016 National Popular Vote:

HillyBob: 55%
    Trump: 41%
    Miscellany: 4%

BJD thanks black folks for not “feeling the Bern” and throwing American society into complete anarchy.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^if anybody throws America into chaos…
    it will the 30% of white folks who are still fighting “The War That Never Ended”….

that said by a true Son of the South…
    whose great-great grandfathers owned slaves, who worked in the fields side by side with tenants of both colors…

cogitate on ‘dat….

LRM
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure we’re guaranteed a Tuesday ACCT game after today.

The CBI is pay-for-play. Every single person in the athletic department should be fired if we ever do that.

Texpack
    Participant

November 2016 National Popular Vote:

HillyBob: 55%
    Trump: 41%
    Miscellany: 4%

BJD thanks black folks for not “feeling the Bern” and throwing American society into complete anarchy.

I would peg Trump in the 42-43% range in the general so you aren’t too far off.

StateRed44
    Participant

If you build it, they won’t come. Trump/Sessions 2016!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK…

so we do this here or elsewhere …. don’t matter to me…

1. Trump taps into the emotional side of a significant portion of the population who is “not happy”… that gets votes and traction…

2. Trump ain’t stupid and he’s self financing… so he can break all the “rules”… that would normally result in some degree of moderation, especially in a general election…

3. “Moderation” basically trades 1.5 votes for 1 vote… which is to say with every move a candidate makes to the middle he also loses some of his core support…

So…. he can’t win… and if he could win… he can NOT govern… because…
    A. he can’t control the bureaucracy over which he has no experience..
    B. he can’t build a consensus in Congress sufficient to pass anything significant AND
    C. Fox news will blow him A$$ out of the water as a “Pretender”… because…

Everybody knows, except apparently Donald, You Can’t Fix STUPID…. Dumbass…

Therefore… Trump must be running a political game of the highest level that rivals Raymond Reddington or Francis Underwood or something else totally invisible…. the consequences of which the American People have not approved and cannot afford…

So …. America is faced with the electoral choice of the Century…
    Crooked Beetch or
    Crooked Dumbass

Either way… we the people are f$cked….

You heard it here first…<c>

tractor57
    Participant

For this election cycle my one decision so far is no Bush and no Clinton. Doesn’t leave much unfortunately.

MCG95
    Participant

BJD95 – I think the unasked question is, Are our expectations at NC State so low that we are comfortable with experienced teams being Top 50 NCAA Tourney Bubble teams, and off years hanging out in the cellar? Our coach has a track record of chasing players off the team (leaving a void of upper classmen) and (related) not developing/using a bench. He often then will blame the horrible court performance on the team being young or just not trying hard enough. I think we’ve seen the ceiling of the Gott era, and we are learning why his alma mater let him go. We are winning in every sport except where we really should be. We are still not up to par with neighbors, and Yow needs to admit that even if she thinks he’s cute, Gott is not meeting expectations. Great coaches consistently win despite adversity that comes along the way. We don’t do that now, and we deserve better. If we don’t set the bar higher, we won’t get there. We let a good wrestling coach and a good women’s basketball coach and a good football coach go because we wanted to be better than good. Those moves, although controversial, were great for their programs. Time to do it in the sport where we have national championships and (should have) higher expectations.

tractor57
    Participant

^ I hardly think one could characterize the former women’s BB coach or the former football coaches as good. As to the former wrestling coach others know much more than I. Like it or not Gott was a step forward. Sufficient? On that we shall see.

A few of us remember when Duke was bloody awful – Maryland went through the same. We have as well. Are we where I think we should be? No. Are better? I would say yes. Enough? Not.

redisgood
    Participant

I absolutely agree. Leave it out on the floor and call it a season. Too many guys are way too banged up, and it’s plain to see from the past few games Cat is mentally and physically exhausted.

For me there is one huge question. Is the coach just a stepping stone to bigger and better things for the program, or is he the answer? I know a lot already have strong opinions on that. I’m leaning towards the former, but will give it one more season to decide for sure.

Next season for me needs to be top 5 in the ACC, and absolutely no bubble talk at the end of the season. Plus a significant ramp-up in 2017 recruiting.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I think we’ve seen the ceiling of the Gott era

I said about the same thing about Sendek during the days of the Great Herb Debate. Since then, I’ve thought a lot about how to best use a coach’s past record to predict future performance. I’ve decided that the most intellectually honest approach is that once a coach has an established record in a P5 conference, you don’t necessarily know the best/worst record of the future…but consistent performance (at whatever level) is a good indication of the AVERAGE performance in the future.

Jerry Tarkenian is my own personal example. For years, I said that his run/gun offense would do well against lesser opponents during the season, but always fall short in the NCAAT. Most years, I was proven correct. But then he got Greg Anthony, Stacey Augmon, and Larry Johnson….all selected in the first 12 picks of the 1991 NBA draft. Tark’s coaching didn’t suddenly improve, but his talent level and ultimately his accomplishments sure did.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think most coaches find their “level”. The preference is you have a coach with a level that is high enough that a really good season is not an exception. To use Va’s example, the level should be high enough that it doesn’t take 3 top draft picks to have a great season.
    Gott’s level is just too dang low. Middle of the pack regular season with a couple of wins in the tournament during his best years and deep troughs when things go bad. No hardware. Just not acceptable for me. Gott has not addressed the problems he had when he was at Alabama so I see no reason to believe he will make a step forward. We can give him another year or another ten and it will not matter. The only possible chance for a great season was to get that special class. That is what we thought we had for next year but that was blown up by Cal. And now, recruiting seems to have lost momentum.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

My hope eroded fairly early in the Season 2. Had watched enough Bama basketball while Gott was at the helm to have a pretty good idea of what we were getting. Humility goes a long way. Admitting mistakes, learning from them, and searching for answers. He never answered the question publicly that was posed when hired: what did you learn in your time off? The response, something vague about the teams with the best players usually win. While there is some truth in that, that isn’t a sustainable model to excel in coaching, pretty much at any level outside the pros. You have to teach at this level and motivate. Is he bad? No. Is he excellent? Not even close. He doesn’t even stack up favorable against his conference peers. I was mocked for suggesting after Years 1 and 2 that those teams should’ve performed better. But they should’ve. And a better coach would’ve done so. Those were his best teams, and they were largely inherited players from a grossly undermining previous tenure.

He raised the bar slightly, only to let it stagnate, then implode and decline. Why? Because an unexpected defection. Ha.

The defensive side is really where the coaching comes into play. If you don’t know how to motivate kids to get after it, you got no chance to win consistently at the college level. You have to build on that end, and then add the offensive pieces, the talent. All the great ones now still play and coach really good defense. If they don’t, they lose. It’s simple. That doesn’t mean playing at a snail’s pace, or being abysmal on offense. It means generating easy baskets. Limiting good looks and opportunities. We don’t do that. Never have. But we had the offense to be competitive. Now we don’t. His pieces. All his.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.