BC @ NC State open entry – updates from Raleigh

Home Forums All StateFansNation BC @ NC State open entry – updates from Raleigh

Viewing 22 posts - 251 through 272 (of 272 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

I make no claim to having an in-depth understanding of football. I appreciate the knowledge I gain on this site. But I have to ask. With better talent, would we run the same defensive scheme?
    Or is our defense set to our talent level?

IMNSHO We are running this defensive scheme as our base defense because of the number of teams who run spread offenses. I don’t think our talent level has a lot to do with decision to use operate from the 4-2-5. foose and Mr. DOG have more football knowledge than I do and might have a different point of view. But to be honest unless someone was in on the decision making process we’ll never know for sure.

Nobody asked but I will offer my opinion as to the REAL problem with the defense. Hux nor anyone else on our staff knows how the 4-2-5 is suppose to be played therefore they aren’t coaching it effectively. It could be that Hux is unwilling to listen but that’s not likely. I think I saw Doeren calling the defensive signals from the sideline. Even so I don’t thing he will fire Hux mid-season. That might be OK for an AD to fire a HC mid-season but that rarely happens at the assistant coach level. He might change duties and make someone else DC but not out of spite.

In the mean time while the assistant coaches are scouting out playing talent, Doeren would do well to be scouting out coaching talent — I never thought I’d be saying this — on both sides of the ball.

Again IMNSHO I believe Canada is a brilliant offensive mind but lacks play-calling ability. I mean right-now, in-the-moment, play calling smarts. He doesn’t seem to use his offense to set up big plays to exploit at critical points. Example: BC calls a beautifully-executed reverse off a faked jet sweep for a touchdown. On 1st and 10 on the 15 after a turnover, Canada calls an off tackle wildcat using our least effective back — a power play against a stacked defense. I forget the next play – incomplete slant pass across the middle IIRC — but on 3rd and long he calls a quick pass that would have been short if it was complete. To ice the cake we missed a chip shot FG attempt.

What happened to our offense? I have touched on the fatigue factor before. Notice how well we did in the first quarter them began to peter out? IMO fatigue. Bad enough Thuney is out but with Thuney in Adams or Barr should not be the only relief available.

A second problem with our over-achieving OL is their lack of mobility as a unit. BC was able to get out in front and lead block on sweeps and runs designed to get to the edge. We have to rely on being able to move people out of the way. Ain’t going to happen all things being equal. It isn’t as easy as saying we need _____ (fill in the blank.) We have to have the athletes to run the offense of choice.

There’s a cost for everything. Gear up for the spread and you are vulnerable to power offenses. Gear up to stop the run and you are vulnerable to the pass. We seem to be able to stop on 2nd down but our 3rd down defense is all too often fooled.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Gotta go get a win Nov. 1 at Syracuse.

TheCOWDOG

They used multiple defensive looks yesterday. BC had answers for all of them.

I don’t understand why Norman has become Casper the Ghost. I suggested last spring that perhaps they would consider moving him to an outside LB, as that second line of defense was looking vulnerable…and they are.

The D is undersized as a whole. It’s time for more Street and Pratt, IMO.

Greywolf
    Participant

The D is undersized as a whole.

(sarcasm alert)We need a DC who knows how to turn undersized players into dominant ones. Our current DC is experiencing the highs and lows of an assistant — low pay and high criticism.

jljones
    Participant

I see more negative comments on the coaching this week–like I have been saying over and over—we must hire a proven “name” coach or remain a doormat. That takes commitment from the top plus $$$$. Evidently we have neither.

rthomas44
    Participant

I am sure that I am preaching to the choir, but if you care about NCSU sports,Join the WOLFPACK CLUB ,put a little skin in the game ,go to the meetings and then bitch!

jljones
    Participant

Why—-I did for years until I realized the futility

wolfpup44
    Participant

I stated last year Doeren was a mistake. Yow herself stated we needed to copy ourselves after the SECOND and be fierce recruiters. She did not keep her word. I have been saying she should for 2 years.

Gowolves
    Participant

Sorry WP44 but that makes no sense. What are you saying?

redcanine
    Participant

BC broke the edge whenever they wanted it. Not only did we get pushed around, we also got out ran. Are we small & slow?

What is our defensive strength?

Not trying to be a dick about it, just saying…

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Fatigued after the first qtr?
    That’s the sorriest excuse I’ve heard since the days of the HSSS.

Rick
    Keymaster

IThe talent is bad but it is not zero acc wins for two years bad. Five years is going to be a lifetime.

Greywolf
    Participant

Fatigued after the first qtr?
    That’s the sorriest excuse I’ve heard since the days of the HSSS.

Are you still chasing that “average offense” story that you were so wrong about? That “average offense” before Thuney went out put hung 49 points on USF that FSU struggled with last Saturday.

Maybe it wasn’t fatigue. That was just my opinion of a possible cause of faltering after a very good first quarter. I have no statistical evidence for that which some of you guys think is of paramount importance.

Doeren has expressed concern for the team being fatigued without a bye week to rest up. But what does he know. He hasn’t won a conference game and we know how significant that is.

Maybe you haven’t experienced classes, studying, tutors, football meetings, practice and more each day then play every down on offense on Saturday for seven consecutive weeks. I didn’t say “tired” I said fatigued. Definition of fatigue. “Physical fatigue is the transient inability of a muscle to maintain optimal physical performance, and is made more severe by intense physical exercise.” The combination of a football players daily schedule plus the play without rest produces a state of fatigue that lasts longer and is more profound. It’s a nearly constant state of weariness that develops over time and diminishes your energy and mental capacity.

Doeren was so concerned about his entire team being fatigued that he altered his practice schedule — going from 20 minutes of work with 5 minutes of ‘walk thru’ to 10 minutes of work, then 5 minutes of ‘walk thru.’

The defensive line coaches rotate 5 DE’s and 5 DT’s to prevent short term fatigue during the games. Our S&C coaches have done a marvelous job of preparing our players to play 60 minutes as a team, however, the Ironman duties since Thuney went out have taken a toll on the OL.

Sorry you have a problem comprehending this. Think of it as cramming for weeks and them going in to take a statistics exam. It’s not the exam that gets you, it’s the extended time spent cramming. You may be so smart that you never had to cram, then I can appreciate your not understanding the fatigue the OL might have felt.

pakfanistan
    Participant

IThe talent is bad but it is not zero acc wins for two years bad. Five years is going to be a lifetime.

I dunno….we only won games prior to Doeren because we had a moderate defense, and NFL quarterbacks. We haven’t had a running game since god only knows when. Andre Brown maybe?

Last year was the perfect storm of suck, with a lack of talent, poor s&c, youth and inexperience, and injury.

This year we’ve only played three ACC games, and I doubt we go winless, although I admit it does feel like a possibility.

YogiNC
    Participant

Maybe someone else has already said this but here goes… We play 7 weeks straight, the first two conference games are against the two best teams in the league AND our opponent yesterday had a bye week to boot. If one were to look hard enough swofford could be blamed for giving us “the business” with our schedule, if you’re into conspiracy theories… oh wait, that’s half the existence around here, that and NC State crap, and DD is the worst coach we could have ever hired. Why couldn’t we have hired the guys from Miss State or ‘Ole Miss or heck, Auburn??? I know, let’s throw a pile of money at Les Miles, he’s on the hot seat.

Smarter than the average bear

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Are you still chasing that “average offense” story that you were so wrong about?

If I erred, it wasn’t because I was too harsh. After being shut out in 7 of the last 8 quarters, I’m not sure State’s offense is even good enough to be called average.

JB and company had the opportunity to prove me wrong. They failed to do so on Sat.

LRM
    Keymaster

To expound on Va’s very-legitimate criticism: we’ve only scored 17 points total since we led FSU 38-28, over nine quarters ago.

TheCOWDOG

Yep. And it can be squarely put on the OL being swamped.

From Brissett’s erratic play, to no running game in these “lost quarters” over a 2.5 game period.

Honestly, if we really watch the game, one need not reach further.

TheCOWDOG

One must also take note that the last 3 defensive fronts faced, I believe, STATISTICALLY satisfy statisticians.

tjfoose1
    Participant

You ask too much, CD. Keep it at big pictures and little words.

I noticed my previous comment was deleted. Sensitive.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Address the post you don’t like. Don’t try to start a flame war.

ncsu1987
    Participant

The pendulum swings are amazing. Serious questions: there’s a new coach at Arkansas, name of Bielema, in his second year, is 0-fer the SEC. Granted that his competition is on a completely different level, but so (likely) is his talent. Are the razorback faithful calling for his head? His OC/DC?

Other than the missing body (Thuney) what has changed with the OL? Anybody know? And has Thuney’s condition been updated recently?

Viewing 22 posts - 251 through 272 (of 272 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.