Basketball Update – One Month Left

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball Update – One Month Left

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    wolfpack92owen
    Participant

If anyone cares….in ’06-’07 Duke went 8-8 in conference. This might end up their worst year since then.

As another “old” Big Four guy — (e.g. the greatest Christmas BBall tourny ever…)

it’s also worth noting the Devils still have to play the Holes this month…
    although they only play ONE TIME in Swoffy’s new and improved ACC….
    which by all accounts is blaspheme…

No lie

My 10 year old could come up with a better system for the ACC scheduling format. It aint hard swoffy

BJD95
    Keymaster

oh, man. I can’t believe anyone in the stands (I was the student shrieking “LES MUST GO!!!” during by junior and senior years) during the Les era had anything approaching hope. That was some dark, dark shit.

66pack
    Participant

Since this is now a bitching thread I would like to hear how the experts at this site would evaluate the hiring of Yow. At the time I believe there was much support for this hire and many expressed that we made out better than the Terps. Hmmmm Terps get new AD,join the BIG,both Men and women BB teams in top 10,and FB recruiting in THE BIG better than our recruiting in the ACC.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think we can all agree this is a throw away year

I don’t agree, so please do not presume to speak for me or others. I have enjoyed watching this team get better very much and still get excited to watch every game. We have a chance every game we play, and Cat has kept raising his level of play seemingly every game. I do not understand why you feel qualified to keep commenting on the teams play when you say you have not been watching them.

Your anger is misplaced.

2-8 tells new this year sucks

Rick
    Keymaster

Since this is now a bitching thread I would like to hear how the experts at this site would evaluate the hiring of Yow. At the time I believe there was much support for this hire and many expressed that we made out better than the Terps. Hmmmm Terps get new AD,join the BIG,both Men and women BB teams in top 10,and FB recruiting in THE BIG better than our recruiting in the ACC.

I think results speak for themselves

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

it’s also worth noting the Devils still have to play the Holes this month…
    although they only play ONE TIME in Swoffy’s new and improved ACC….
    which by all accounts is blaspheme…

Duke and UNC are defined rivals. They play Home/home every year.
    Look at UNC/Duke schedules in the entry. This year they play on Feb 17 and March 5.

The Big 4 have been split up like this since the ACC went to 12 teams:
    Duke – UNC and WF
    UNC – Duke and State
    State – UNC and WF
    WF – State and Duke

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Believe it or not there was a lot of anti-yow feelings the second she was hired for many reasons. A)many people wanted a clean break from anything NCSU related. Start anew essentially. Thats the same reason a lot of people were leery of hiring Purcell. Not sure I agree with it but those vibes were certainly there. B) She wasnt even on the list of the search committee that the school paid for. That is huge to me. C) Her reputation (right or wrong) preceded her and a lot of folks, myself included, didnt want to find out. D) Her rep for spending money that schools didnt have was an issue.

I think when its all said and done Yow is just going to be another failed AD at NCSU. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot. At the time I was incredibly adamant that Gary Stokan take the job because he is all business and that is what collegiate sports has become. Now that time is long gone.

But yeah as someone mentioned above, the results kindof speak for themselves

Heelh8r
    Participant

Your anger is misplaced.

No anger here. I’m the one watching the games and enjoying them. You’re the one not watching but complaining about the record.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I’m watching today, anyone else?

Heelh8r
    Participant

^Sure. Not a great start. Their defense is bothering us so far. A Pack win today would send Duke to the border of bubble land. It would be a huge boost to us to get a road win and move up toward the middle of the pack.

MP
    Participant

I’m watching today, anyone else?

I am. As well as folks over at BTP. We’re hanging in against some good D….

RaisedByWolves
    Participant

Does Dick Vitale have any plans to retire?

MrPlywood
    Participant

Grrrr. At least Mav is hitting.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It would be a huge boost to us to get a road win and move up toward the middle of the pack.

Just curious, do you actually look at the conference standings?
    A win today puts us in 12th place.

Heelh8r
    Participant

^All the time. It says up toward the middle. The teams tied for 5th only have 6 wins.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Only 6 wins, huh? Gee, that’s four more than we have right now. You honestly think we’re winning 6 this season?

MrPlywood
    Participant

Came back and took the lead briefly, now down 3 with the ball.

BJD95
    Keymaster

uhhhh, why MD took off? They left this crooked joke of a conference. Good for them.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

uhhhh, why MD took off? They left this crooked joke of a conference. Good for them.

Hell yeah good for them. That had the balls to exit stage left. Something we should have done with Vatech when we had the chance. State will never ever be proactive in anything. We wait until we hit rock bottom before a move is made. See Les, Ocain, Herb, TOB, Gott and the list goes on. Its not our nature for whatever reason.

Rick
    Keymaster

Hell yeah good for them. That had the balls to exit stage left. Something we should have done with Vatech when we had the chance. State will never ever be proactive in anything. We wait until we hit rock bottom before a move is made. See Les, Ocain, Herb, TOB, Gott and the list goes on. Its not our nature for whatever reason.

We sure didn’t hesitate to toss V.
    But yeah we don’t seem to have strategic leadership in regards to athletics.

phcqmfd
    Participant

Yow hires
    MBB – B- depends of if we bounce back next year
    M Swim – A
    Wres – A+
    WBB – A-
    1st VB – B that turned to D – fired
    2nd VB – who knows
    Football – B-/C+ depends on next two years

Overall Yow has been a B, with compared to Lake Gaston she is an A+ on the curve, remember he let a VB coach win 8 ACC matches in 5+ year and get three more

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

We sure didn’t hesitate to toss V.
    But yeah we don’t seem to have strategic leadership in regards to athletics.

True and I get your point but V didnt do himself favors by becoming the AD and trying to sustain his image. In hindsight we should have just demoted him from the AD position and gave him 2 years to get his stuff together. But the order came from the top as I understand it. The political pressure from the governor on down just got too overwhelming. I would love to read a book with an honest account of what actually happened. I have heard numerous times (no way of verifying ) that Dean Smith himself pulled strings to get V kicked out.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Really enjoying the Big 12 basketball season, too.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Gloom and doom. Guess we should close our athletic programs, since DY is doing such a poor job, with her AD position. We had Sidney, we had Foul up Fowler. We are far better off than we have been in a long time with our athletic programs. This is inclusive of all sports, not solely men’s basketball/football. We certainly can’t be at the top of our game every year, but honestly like the job DY is doing, and look forward to more success in the conference under her leadership.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

RE: Swoffy’s New and Improved ACC….

Ok….

It’s Holes in Light Blue on the road at Notre Dame…

It’s Irish luck…
    It’s on the road…
    But when was the last time ANY Team shot 38 free throws against the baby blues ???

At the end, the Holes suck it by just 4 …

Go figure….
    Well… it might have something to do with ALL FIVE Domers getting double figures….

@Uncle Roy — You cannot win for losing if the kids don’t listen…
    Think about this… you could have been teeing off on the little white ball somewhere warm and sunny, with a cold beer in your cart, instead of teeing off on the zebras and your kids….

Lmoa….

Time to go….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.