As the calender turns, so does the Pack

Home Forums All StateFansNation As the calender turns, so does the Pack

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Thinkpack17
    Participant

Gott’s teams consistently underachieve based on each team’s talent level.

The Sweet 16 team didn’t underachieve and last year’s team didn’t underachieve. The “blessed” season was a gong show and if this team doesn’t make the tourney it’s a failure. So I can’t give you “consistently”.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I think MG and staff have missed on or made the wrong decision on to many scholarships in their recruiting. Think of all the players that have left and the stop gaps they have tied up with multi year players. This isn’t football where you can miss on a couple every year, you have to be right a lot on who you bring in and then keep them, not enough scholarships to continue to make several mistakes each year.

DeThaey, Harris, Raymond, Lewis, Purvis…..

Is there anyone on our current roster that you would trade for one of those guys?

This is an interesting comparison, btw.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=desmond-lee&p1=rodney-purvis&p2=2-rodney-purvis

I’d take Purvis over Lee if he wasn’t such a head case.

I’d take Harris over Washington and Freeman in a heartbeat.

Even with just the 1 exchange you made my point, that’s 5 players in 3 years of recruiting that left, though I wouldn’t count De Thaey since that was a transition year and he was Lowe recruit but was Harris as well? I can’t remember. Then you add in Freeman, who we all like but may never truly be ACC capable. Just too many scholarships, too many mistakes on the trail.

I question Anya as well, what system is he best suited for? His weight gain in High School into College shows a lack of maturity and/or work habit that questions will he be able to ever do what is necessary to learn his position. Right now he’s great at shot blocking and taking up space but where does he fit into MG offense?

pakfanistan
    Participant

You’d take Purvis over Lee even though they’re the exact same player?

Thinkpack17
    Participant

Harris is a certified baller. His dad was a certified Nutter Butter. Do you remember him totally mis-remembering Harris’s stat line from the Sweet 16 game? He was playing behind our most consistent performer and one of our best 3 point threats of all time.

The minutes weren’t there dad…sorry.

redisgood
    Participant

“Beejay had zero points, zero rebounds, zero assists, and 4 turnovers in his 18 minutes on the floor. What part was he doing exactly?”

He was at least doing his part on the pick and roll, that’s all I was talking about. There were several – 6, 7, 8? – times in the 2nd half that BJ rolled to the basket with no one on him, and no pass. That’s all I was saying. The other aspects may play a part, as Jigawatts said, maybe a lack of trust in BJ to finish

I think you mentioned you only saw the 2nd half. In the 1st half, the few times they fed the ball to Beejay he acted like Barney Fife trying to arrest Charles Mansion. Shaky to say the least, and usually resulted in a turnover. Right or wrong, the guards have no confidence in him. That is something Gott has to fix.

BJD95
    Keymaster

But that’s a pretty damned big “if” and one you can’t change. Purvis most definitely IS a headcase. We’re just lucky he didn’t totally poison the well before we got him out the door. Same with TAFKAWBS.

Very interesting article and discussion, though. The Pitt game was so encouraging, as was the level of fight we showed in Hooville. But we need a win in one of the next two to show we’re serious about this thing.

One thing I would like to see – anytime either Lacey or BSW is taking a rest…the two twin alignment MUST be on the floor. Creates energy and a different kind of offensive look. Otherwise defenses can just completely sag on whichever of the shooters remains on the floor.

MG is showing more flexibility this year, and a willingness to learn is a good sign in a coach/leader. Jury is still out, in my opinion.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

You’d take Purvis over Lee even though they’re the exact same player?

Yup, Lee has shown he has a low ceiling, at least Purvis has a much higher one and you can get more out of him. Like I said he’s a head case and as such would be a detriment to the team but skill set alone I’d take Purvis over Lee.

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I agree with most posters here that we don’t have a cohesive offensive scheme implemented yet. One thing I did like about Herb Sendek coached teams is that the players were well coached to execute his system. I didn’t say they were coached on the right system but…
    1. They moved well without the ball
    2. They set good screens
    3. They shot the ball when open and hit open shots like UVA did last night
    4. They cut hard to the basket
    5. They finished descently well at the rim
    6. They hit free throws

I think if Gottfried’s teams could do those things well, plus leverage their above average athleticism one on one from time to time then we would have a really competitive team on the offensive side. I’m not going to comment on the defense because our offense contributes a little to our lackluster defense. When we get our offense working, which it has been effective at times, then I would prefer to critique our defense in isolation

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

In this day of instant gratification, parent coaches, entitlement and sissified athletes you can’t stop kids from transferring. You just can’t. Duke loses players, Kentucky loses players, UNC loses players.

Most of those transfers had someone else in their ear. I mean just look at the comments on this board. Anyone who has ever been a volunteer coach thinks they’re Doc Rivers. No wonder these kids don’t know who to listen to.

Which shows how much more importance needs to be placed on recruiting the right players and not making multiple mistakes every year. Transfers happen today and as such you have to be right all the time because even when you make the right call on a player it doesn’t mean you will get to keep them.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Can you list some of the “multiple mistakes” that are made in recruiting every year?

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

<Moreover there does not seem to be any strategic synergies in Gott’s paradigm. He simply tries to recruit talented folks and have them run a relatively complex offense. Execution is not there…that’s his excuse. They are too young etc… I buy that its a great system if executed properly but that’s the rub…he can’t teach it effectively to college teams with churn. Moreover he doesn’t have mitigating talents to bring into the mix.

Defense is not corrected by hiring an assistant coach…defensive teams spend hours in practice…ya know…practicing defense – until it becomes second nature…or HABIT>

^That’s it in a nutshell. Complex offense, requires highly skilled players, especially big men, that was perfected in a time when the game–particularly on defense–was played and officiated quite differently. Couple that with the challenges of player retention these days, inadequate attention to detail and fundamentals, his teams will frequently play on the margins, and occasionally lay some eggs.

Bama’, part deux.

TheCOWDOG

I would request going back and looking at UVa and Pitt again.

There is structure in the High Post in each game with a myriad of great looks.

The problem as I see it? Our bigs play small.

If 3/4 of the low post feeds get finished with authority, peeps would be having a tough time ripping Gottfried a new one, today.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

^Great point. Abu goes up soft, Freeman can’t finish with his left so he shoots back into trouble and BJ freaks when the double comes.

Even when they go strong they go 0-fer from the free throw line. Not good.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Excellent, it’s basketball season, so it must be “fire the basketball coach” season. Or minimally an assistant coach. (Cause nobody listened to us during football season when we clearly identified coaching changes that should be made. Wait, didn’t we have an 8-5 season? Yea, but think what good coaches could have done.)

I get it, he’s lost 5 games. And not just losing them, but look at who he lost to. Wofford for heaven’s sake!!! Totally unacceptable. Cincy was a nightmare!

Three years, and only made the Sweet 16 once.
    One of the 2 or 3 coaches in ACC history to take his first three teams to the NCAAT.
    Best ever first year for an ACC coach.
    Beat Duke when they were ranked #1.
    Most depth of talent this school has seen in a long time, maybe ever.

“Yea, but his best season was with someone else’s recruits” – Think Sid would have made it to the Sweet 16? Did anyone on this site want to find out?

“Hey, Valvano won it all in his third season. What is taking so long?” Yes, yes he did. Anything less is not acceptable.

Yea, but what about all those transfers? He gets players, but can’t keep them” Absolutely right, unacceptable. Wait, don’t we have transfers? Didn’t they come from other schools? So other schools must have people leaving too? Which of those that left State would you prefer to keep instead of Trevor Lacey or Ralston Turner?

“Yea, he gets talent but can’t develop them. If they can’t do it from day one, we’re toast.” But didn’t he figure out how to get that moron CJ to play with his “Calvin” strategy? Didn’t Richard Howell get in shape and play his best after Gott arrived? Didn’t Scott Wood excel? He even got Jordan Vandenberg to play well last year after doing nothing for three years.

“But look at the numbers!! They just don’t bode well for the future.” Yep, you are probably right. Can’t argue with numbers.

So, let’s get a new coach, this guy is not up to our standards. At the end of the season it will have been four years since that last catastrophe of a coaching search when no one wanted the job and we ended up with a TV guy. Things will be much more attractive now. Wait, why? Because secretly Archie Miller is dying to come back to State and he took the Flyers to the Elite 8 last season. And after three seasons as a head coach, and two seasons under Sean as an AC he’s ready for the ACC. And if he doesn’t take it, there’s got to be a long list of guys better than Gottfried who are dying to come to State.

Alright, it all makes good sense to me, I’m on board. Let’s do it!

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

If you take away this year’s current freshmen who appear At This Moment to be all quality players, then we’ve already listed all the “mistakes”. Now there will certainly be debate over players like Barber, Anya, Freeman, Lee, Turner, and Washington but that I think comes down to if some or all of those players are suited for whatever system MG is implementing. To me personally if you watch those players they either don’t fit the same type of system or don’t have the ability to play at this level, either way I consider it mistake, a mistake not on the players behalf but the coaching staff.

This goes back to one of my original points in the comments: what is MG trying to do on the court and does the players he’s selected best fit that system? If we knew the answer to the first part we could probably identify which players are the “mistakes” in his selection process because those players skill sets do not complement each other and fit into a cohesive unit. That’s just my opinion from watching live sporting events and looking at data, nothing more.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

CD, I see the high post at times too but there is nothing consistent out on the court. As you pointed out maybe it’s because some of the players can’t play it. Maybe MG doesn’t use it enough? If it’s the former then maybe he (staff) made a mistake in evaluating the players he recruited? Maybe they are great practice players but horrible at implementing during a game?

Rick
    Keymaster

I am in agreement with virtually everything jigs has posted.
    I remember when Brandon Costner was the problem with the Lowe teams. Now it’s Leslie, no it’s Purvis, wait it’s Lewis. At some point you have to realize it’s not the players.

Nonetheless, these are the players Gott recruited. If they are the problem it’s his responsibility.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

Nonetheless, these are the players Gott recruited. If they are the problem it’s his responsibility.

Did he not bring Calvin around? Did he allow Rodney Purvis to hold him hostage? Did he not sack Ryan Harrow in favor of Lo Brown at the point as soon as he got in the door? They are only a problem if you don’t deal with it. You can’t predict with 100% certainty how a kid is going to respond to Division 1 college basketball.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I think it’s worth noting that in four years, Gott has had what amounts to three completely different teams.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think it’s worth noting that in four years, Gott has had what amounts to three completely different teams.

And I think he is the first coach that had ever happened to

TheCOWDOG

And…wasn’t it the conscensus at SFN that this version would be playing together for quite awhile?

As in no early pro entry?

Thinkpack17
    Participant

I don’t see any early entry candidates right now. I don’t see any NBA prospects period, if I’m being honest.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I would request going back and looking at UVa and Pitt again.

There is structure in the High Post in each game with a myriad of great looks.

The problem as I see it? Our bigs play small.

If 3/4 of the low post feeds get finished with authority, peeps would be having a tough time ripping Gottfried a new one, today.

^This… for those who care to do their homework…

For the first ten minutes of the VA game… on set offensive possessions… one of our BIGs touched the ball in the paint
    about 70% of the time BEFORE any shot was taken…

… and we had a 10 point lead… against a very good team who did not take us seriously and came out soft…

I did not chart the rest of the game… so don’t go there…

Point is that in the last two weeks … the kids are doing what the Coach has been teaching them…
    Now they still GOTT to get better at finishing strong, at not thinking so much, just trusting the system and at the escapes when things don’t go their way…

AND most importantly… they are playing HARD… which was a serious problem that now appears to have been resolved in large part..

For what’s is worth …
    there were more than a few plays back in 72-76 that Stormin’ Norman had me and others shaking our heads at…
    DT saved our ass on most of them…

The shot clock does the same a lot of the time (not every time) … these days…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

And…wasn’t it the conscensus at SFN that this version would be playing together for quite awhile?

As in no early pro entry?

It depends on who transfers

TheCOWDOG

Rick, that can loom for sure. But I also have this crazy ass notion as to why people think that recruiting has “slowed.”

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.