ACC Tourney: Duke preview

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC Tourney: Duke preview

Viewing 24 posts - 151 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

The debate will rage as to whether Trevor’s untimely departure was Gott’s fault. AD Yow has said NO, so debating it is like the 6 YO measuring “stuff”.
    If we had had Henderson, then we would have won the 9 games or so that we lost by single digits.
    Maverick was NOT slated as a starter and saved us more embarrassment. Thanks!
    Anya did not mature as much as needed, but was a factor. Yes, he still eats too much. But, again, it could have been worse.
    Abu was streaky..but he found his footing at the end. He will be a force next year.
    The TWINS. They got more PT than they ever imagined. Thanks again.
    I did watch as many minutes as Cat played…in person, on the road, and at home. We had a few games where there were effort problems…. But very FEW.
    Gott was always open and honest in his post game comments. There has not been an ACC top tier coach that has not said his men did not play up to their potential…

There were a lot of upsets this year…as Brad and the Tigers….

For what we had, Gott & team get a 5 for accomplishments. But they get a 8.5 for effort.

Went out in style!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Oh, you can’t chalk up +9 in the win column for Henderson. It doesn’t work like that.

Surely it would have been a better season, but every single digit loss??

Rick
    Keymaster

Oh, you can’t chalk up +9 in the win column for Henderson. It doesn’t work like that.

You can in fairy land where everything is perfect

gso packbacker
    Participant

BJD95 wrote:

You can in fairy land where everything is perfect

I have an idea!!! How about someone with a bit more pull than myself see if we can change the poll to query folks on what they think the win total difference would have been with Henderson? Sure, I enjoy reading the banter (I truly do), but more curious to see the data. Heck, at a minimum it sounds like a much more interesting poll topic than the existing one.

choppack1
    Participant

Roo – blame and yow’s opinion on Lacy. I don’t think it matters what she thinks today. This same thing happened to Gott at Bama. “We would have been good at Bama if we just didn’t have the [insert excuse here].”

As I stated before – if you’re surprised when a kid who transfers to your school decides to leave before you expect him too – well, that’s kind of like being surprised when that divorce’ you married walks in and says it’s over. The party is merely repeating past behavior. Which fits, because Gott is having a similar arc to he one @ Bama.

redisgood
    Participant

Conversely, there may have been a few games that we won and could have lost if Henderson was playing. While Rowan contributed greatly to some of our losses, he also hit some clutch shots late in the game in a few of our wins.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Unless you are talking about DT in his prime, this team was not one player away from making the NCAAT.

choppack1
    Participant

Yep VA wolf – we all wish we could have the benefit of hindsight and we wish we could roll back time. However, at the end of the day, you understand that usually you have as much as good luck as bad (the LSU game last year being the perfect example).

Over 16 years that luck thing can safely be taken out of the equation… And I see a good coach who fails to totally capitalize on his successes. I don’t know of the reason he is not turning the corner is because of X and O’s, his roster management or something in his personality.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Unless you are talking about DT in his prime, this team was not one player away from making the NCAAT.

Agree to disagree.

Win a few more games, which could have included Duke once, plus avoid a couple of bad losses, we might not be playing on Tuesday. We might pick up a couple of wins in the tourney. We might squeak in to the NCAAs. It’s not like we were a world away from being competitive.

Rick
    Keymaster

Agree to disagree.

Win a few more games, which could have included Duke once, plus avoid a couple of bad losses, we might not be playing on Tuesday. We might pick up a couple of wins in the tourney. We might squeak in to the NCAAs. It’s not like we were a world away from being competitive.

Might might might
    Even with all of those mights, you still have us “squeaking” into the tournament.

MP
    Participant

Fare thee well, NC State basketball 2015-16.

I appreciate the perspective of those who consistently watched the games this year. I did not have the viewing season I normally have – not due to the quality of the team or number of wins. Particularly, I trust the observations re: the consistency of the effort given by the team. There are times in life when that is the most you should ask for.

There have been some douche comments along the way. It makes it hard to follow this site sometimes, but I again appreciate the insight and perspective provided by those who are plugged in to the games. It helps me feel more informed when I can’t watch as much as I would like to.

Looking forward to next season.

choppack1
    Participant

Packfanistan – now be consistent, and realize that with a couple of bad breaks Gott has missed the tournament 4 out of 5 years.

It’s much fairer to evaluate based on what has happened than what could have happened. Gottfried has made the tourney 4 of 5 years. He has made the sweet16 twice here @ state in 5 years.

Next year is critical and will tell us alot about the future.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Just finished watching the game. Ha, of course they would score 89 in this game!
    About the (second to) last play, I couldn’t tell, but I wonder if Anya was looking for the rebound as Cat had put the ball up in traffic multiple times that game and could have been the play call – to try to score in traffic and get the and-1 – if the 3 for Maverick wasn’t there.
    I kept thinking that Duke was going to eventually pull away and win by 12, but the Pack fought back. Good way to go out if you have to go out. Time for the most interesting season of all: the offseason.

Rick
    Keymaster

Time for the most interesting season of all: the offseason.

Hopefully it goes better than the others. I think Cat is gone but if everyone else comes back we should at least have a decent year next year.

Texpack
    Participant

Abu is definitely coming back. But he’s going to need help.

Yes he his.
    Help with his foot work
    Help with his jump shot
    Help with his dribbling
    Help with his passing
    Help with his catching
    Help with his free throws
    Help with developing more surprised expressions when he gets called for obvious fouls. (Is he a Duke transfer)

Having said all of that, i fully expect to see improvement in most of the above because the young man gives great effort, has a great attitude, and is an incredible athlete.

I grew more and more disappointed with Anya as the season wore on. He looks lazy on the court. It may just be the way he moves, but he looks like he’s dogging it half the time. As a retired, undersized, slow, white PG, I would have killed to have size and the physical advantages he has. It’s just a huge waste.

The news of Frenchie’s injury coming back just kills me. I just knew he was going to be Big Rich 2.0. I wouldn’t be shocked if he doesn’t play any more.

Next season likely hinges on whether or not we will land or develop a big who can contribute from the high post.

Thanks to Cat for laying it out there every night. I hope he hits the jackpot in the draft.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Might might might
    Even with all of those mights, you still have us “squeaking” into the tournament.

I was simply suggesting it would make the possibility more likely, vs only David Thompson would have helped. Nuance man, nuance.

Rick
    Keymaster

Might might might

I was simply suggesting it would make the possibility more likely, vs only David Thompson would have helped. Nuance man, nuance.

I get the nuance, I am simply suggesting if you are going to play the “what if” you might as well go for it. Even in your made up world we only squeak into the tournament. We can’t even win a title in our own fans hallucination. I want a “what if” that ends up with Cat cutting the national championship net while standing on Tyler Hansbrough’s empty head while Adele sings “Hungry like the Wolf” and the State fans in Raleigh are celebrating around the worlds largest bond fire which consists of the News and Observer burning to the ground. Do it right man, do it right 😉

Adventuroo
    Participant

Debate what you want. AD Yow has publicly and privately stated that SHE and the ENTIRE AD and BB staff did not see Trevor leaving. So, the one who is responsible for the coach’s tenure has made up her mind. Facts are facts.

She also stated that we were in a quadruple whammy by Henderson’s injury, Kirk’s injury not healing and Freeman not being a full strength.

OK, I might have been a little optimistic in my comments about the 9 games. BUT, if we had had only ONE of the above 4 whammy issues, then it WOULD (based on statistical probability and also the opinions of many experts), a different season.

The team has shown a lot of maturity during the second half of the season. One of the MAJOR things is that they did not give up on themselves. They could have easily and then we REALLY would have had some legitimate issues to gripe.

I never said that I was HAPPY about our losses. There was only one or two where I was disappointed in the effort of the team…and that was also reflected in Gott’s comments in the post game interview.

We certainly did not expect to be in the situation that fate put us in. BUT, if you go back in history, then this is the FIRST major injury for a player since Gott GOT here. His strength and conditioning coach, who is now an ASSOCIATE AD, has improved the health and well being of the team.

Go back and look at the games played for many of the “stars” under Lowe and Sendek (OK, I DID TYPE THAT). We were constantly short due to injuries.

The FB team is also in better shape.

SO, all in all, I think that Gott is an improvement.

I also do not think that we, the Fans, should be dissing the players that almost beat Duke. We played one of our best, if not THE best, games of the year.

ALL the players deserve credit for that. YES, there were mistakes….We all make them. I am up to at least 3 today, but none that would have lost a ball game.

If you are not happy about Gott, then AD Yow’s email is public knowledge. Come to the Coach’s Caravan and ask questions (the floor is open).

On a more positive note….Duke just BLEW a double digit lead and lost in OT. I truly THING that WE are partly responsible for this. We played them a really great and demanding game. ND did not give up….and got a few breaks.

Mike Brey will now compete against ORW and the UNC clandestine clan.

GO PACK….

redisgood
    Participant

I think Abu made a huge leap forward this year. 14 double doubles, and one rebound away from 4 others. His PPG doubled from 6.4 to 12.9, and his rebounds per game increased from 4.8 to 8.8. He was better in every statistical category than Brice Johnson’s sophomore and junior years. He is absolutely trending to become a dominant player in the ACC next year.

I thought he was tremendous this year, and the sky is the limit next year.

choppack1
    Participant

Adventuroo – she has probably made up her mind for this season… But what happens with the next stinker – or if next year’s squad – without the same excuses squeaks into the tourney and makes a quick exit?

All I am saying is everyone gets a pass for a bad year when it’s the first one. You have another one and suddenly cooks don’t give a pass on excuses.

And yes, Notre Dame owes us a huge thank you! Now they can pay us back by beating the evil empire.

Rick
    Keymaster

If the only measurement is effort then why bother with scholarships.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth…
    ———————————–

If you saw the first game of the season, the one against some California school, you saw everything you needed to see…

Henderson was tenative
    Rowan was shooting and missing more than he made
    Anya was not in the game, even when he was on the court, and ignored for the most part…
    Cat came to play and won the game

the rest were glad to be on the court and played hard with modest results…

Now we GOTT a lot better, both as a Team and as individuals, with one exception, but nothing above really changed…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

I think Abu made a huge leap forward this year.

I especially love that Abu became more aggressive under the basket and started going for power dunks instead of point blank layups.

re: Dook/ND – is it me or have the refs stopped falling for the “created contact” especially from the punchable one, G. Allen? BTW, K gave Ted Cruz Jr a hug like he thought this was the kid’s last ACC game. Don’t know what that was about.

TheCOWDOG

Hey…What happened to Jiggs? I could use his input right now. Straight dope.

You out there?

Viewing 24 posts - 151 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.