ACC Basketball Update – One Month In

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC Basketball Update – One Month In

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The first month of conference play seems to have flown by with a number of surprises, both good and bad. UVa’s comeback from down nine with a minute a
    [See the full post at: ACC Basketball Update – One Month In]

Rick
    Keymaster

I applaud your willingness to study anything basketball related.

13OT
    Participant

Syracuse and Clemson should probably move up one level. Whether Clemson makes it to the Dance is unclear, but I think Syracuse will make the NCAAT.

The Wolfpack will likely be playing on Tuesday in the ACCT, and Wednesday is their likely ceiling.

We know BC is in a rebuilding year with a new coach, but I’ve not heard anyone say that the Pack is in a rebuilding year. More like a wrecking ball.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

More like this:

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Plus, It’s tough to call it rebuilding when you only have one recruit.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Pretty sad that it’s still January, and our ceiling is playing ‘standings spoiler’ this season. The best we can do is mess up someone’s tourney seed.

Gott better hope that Henderson (if he returns), Smith, and Dorn are all second comings of Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, and Russell Westbrook, or next year will be just as dismal.

Wulfpack
    Participant

We know BC is in a rebuilding year with a new coach,

Jim Christian is actually in his second year at BC. He went 4-14 last year. He came over from two years at Ohio University.

choppack1
    Participant

Well UVA just worked Louisville over @ Louisville. Tony Bennett and Gott are a good example of polar opposites.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Pack just worked over #15 Miami, 85-69. Go figure….

choppack1
    Participant

I missed the part of the game being @ Miami.

I also didn’t say gott was a bad or even mediocre coach. However, it is obvious to anyone who has eyes that these two approach their craft much differently.

Gott has enjoyed more success in the NCAA tournament to this point. It will be interesting to see if Bennett’s program makes a move in the NCAA post season.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I do NOT think TB’s style to this point is well-suited to Big Dance success. That said, at least early in the season, they seemed to be playing much more up-tempo, so perhaps he is recognizing that flaw and adapting.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Syracuse and Clemson should probably move up one level.

Not unreasonable if you use an “eyeball” test. I’m using criteria derived from my Selection Sunday analysis done a number of years ago and refined slightly over time.

SYR has a losing conference record. That is not necessarily a crippling issue, but one that would require a significant ACCT win to overcome if we were at the end of the year. Plus their RPI ranking is in the range that you can expect some teams to get passed over every year.

Clemson’s RPI ranking is worse than any that have ever received an at-large bid to the NCAAT.

People like Lunardi and Palm evaluate the NCAAT resumes from all across the country (or at least claim to). Then they try to pick the teams with the best resume and fill a preliminary tournament bracket. I have neither the time nor interest to attempt my own total analysis. I just use the end-of-the year criteria to judge the work-in-progress of the ACC season. My method is not perfect by any means, but it provides a fixed measuring stick to evaluate the ACC teams with no speculation about future results required.

choppack1
    Participant

A) when it comes to va wolf’s tourney analysis – just soak it in. He will give you the tools to st the very least, be 10X more prepared than most fans and many people who cover college basketball for a living.

B) BJD – you have said that before and I have to disagree. His approach is very similar to Bo Ryan’s approach and he did very well at wisky. Granted, running up and down the floor is great if you have the horses, but UVA, nor do many other teams in the country have the ability to win that game vs. a Duke or Kentucky or a UNC for that matter.

OTOH – you can look at Gonzaga – one of the teams that plays great offense at a good pace with questionable D – and you see a team that has consistently played below its seed.

BJD95
    Keymaster

chop – But there is the catch. Ryan had a remarkable amount of athleticism and played with decent tempo (and quite a bit of offensive proficiency) his championship year.

It was just camouflaged in honky-tude. 😀

choppack1
    Participant

Bennett’s last couple of teams have been efficient offensively. Don’t confuse our slow pace which usually results in bad shots with UvA’s- where they rely on the solid principals of good spacing for their shots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.