2014-15 Basketball – A Note of Thanks

Home Forums All StateFansNation 2014-15 Basketball – A Note of Thanks

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    RedReid
    Participant

It feels different this time. 4 years ago after some quick success and trip to the Sweet 16 our fan base became rather big headed. After watching the last few years unfold and seeing Gott bring together young talent that he recruited it seems we are on the cusp of something real. No one jumped after the loss last night and said “wait til next year.” But I think this team somehow set the benchmark for what our program will be going forward. We may not always make the Sweet 16, some years we may go further, maybe we can win some conference championships. But I believe we are going to work hard and have some fun teams. If we continue to do this, the future is bright! The hard thing about college sports is letting go of the guys you have gotten to know and love as part of your team. Best wishes to Ralston and Dez. Those guys had some bright moments in the Red and White.
    State!

choppack1
    Participant

So I read the post-game comments and perhaps the best thing I heard was from bj anya. He said, and I paraphrase “I hate that the season ended so early”… That, I think we all know, is not the sound of contentment.

And throw darts if you may, but I believe if the team returns without departures- we can contend for the national title.

On a side note, the domers were a call or two from beating Kentucky.

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

There were past years that I turned off the TV before the half of a State football game.

There were past years when I could name only a couple of State basketball players.

I was not a bandwagon fan… just a life-long fan who ached for the Pack, and had trouble investing so much emotion for so little heart-crushing return.

Not this year.

Thank you players! Thank you Coach D! Thank you Gott! Thank you Dr. Yow!

I was on the Brickyard on a Monday night in ’83! Go Pack!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Thanks to one and all who had a hand in getting this squad out of weekend #1. Sorry it had to end but enjoyed the progress this team made. The mid season ‘slump’ ended up making the payoff that much better.

No apparent head cases for next year’s edition, so hopefully that means a headstart on a better reprise than the last S16.

Guarded Optimism.

BJD95
    Keymaster

That is what allows me to think Team Gott 5.0 won’t reprise Team Gott 2.0. It’s a crew he’s built and pulled together himself, with “lessons learned” from past amateur psychiatry. And we do know all these guys’ names – real AND nicknames! And we’d be broken-hearted if any of them left the program, for a change.

I think they really do feel the connection with the fanbase, and although I know it means FAR, FAR LESS than the more important layers of an athlete’s support network…I hope it makes them crack a grin once in awhile.

I also expect both the HippoHOOK and the HippoSLAM to be deadly weapons next year. 😀

mak4dpak
    Participant

Great season, and looking forward to next season. But now we have baseball season, and congrats to the Pack on their 3 game dominating sweep of Pitt! FSU this weekend. We are 13-1, at home.

redisgood
    Participant

Thanks to one and all who had a hand in getting this squad out of weekend #1. Sorry it had to end but enjoyed the progress this team made. The mid season ‘slump’ ended up making the payoff that much better.

No apparent head cases for next year’s edition, so hopefully that means a headstart on a better reprise than the last S16.

Guarded Optimism.

In addition to no head cases, we have a terrific shooting guard if Trevor stays. Last time around we were figuring Purvis would come in and fill that role. Also, when Painter left, we had zero depth at the 4/5 position. Even if Kyle goes, we are still in better shape there. We don’t have a freshman like TJW, but we do have the Martins. So overall, from a sheer talent and depth perspective, this team is far better positioned than that team.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

we have a terrific shooting guard if Trevor stays.

As a rising senior with limited NBA potential compared to the rest of the draft stock, I can’t see Trevor going anywhere. Keep in mind the relationship he has with Coach Gottfried too.

if Kyle goes

I thought that was a given prior to the ACCT, but now I think he might stay…he was getting quality minutes and he has enough film in the tournaments for the coaches to show him what he needs to do to earn a job as a starter.

Maybe that’s wishful thinking, but I think he is a natural scorer and I’d really love to see him keep wearing an NC State uni.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Agree about Kyle, and I believe he can improve his defense, and add variety to his offense. I think he is a real talent.

However, I think the coaching staff should put their heads together and figure out a way to optimize Kyle’s talents. It seemed like he was shooting his short jumper in the context of the high post, and the opportunity for the 3PT shot was random.

He’s a different kind of big, a guy who can give you a matchup advantage. A guy who is 6’9″ and can shoot over about anybody both inside and outside. I would think that properly used, he could be a heck of a weapon.

Don’t leave Kyle!!!

ryebread
    Participant

I am proud of the way the team and staff circled the wagons after that brutal mid year stretch and finished strong. I would really, really like to see the program take the next step and be able to turn in consistent performances game in and game out the entire season.

Yes, I understand these are college players and even Kentucky isn’t the same team from game to game. We saw that with Kentucky vs. W.VA when compared to Kentucky vs ND.

Regardless, I want NC State to take the next step and move into the discussion consistently. That’s just just at the end of the season if we get hot, but a team that’s in the top 25 most of the year. That’s the progression we need as a program and it will really help recruiting.

I think we can do it if everyone who has eligibility returns. The loss of Dez and Turner will be bigger than most suspect. I think Dez was that glue guy like Alex Johnson that all the guys really liked. I think Turner was instant offense and underrated at rebounding and scrapping. We don’t know whether Henderson will step into either of those roles.

What we can’t afford is anyone else leaving? I expected KW to have more of an impact this year. The offense and aggressiveness are there. We just need him playing defense and taking it to the rack. I hope he sticks around to do so.

Texpack
    Participant

if Kyle goes

I thought that was a given prior to the ACCT, but now I think he might stay…he was getting quality minutes and he has enough film in the tournaments for the coaches to show him what he needs to do to earn a job as a starter.

Maybe that’s wishful thinking, but I think he is a natural scorer and I’d really love to see him keep wearing an NC State uni.

[/quote]

I posted early in the season that I wouldn’t mind an experiment with Kyle at the 3. With the Martins playing as well as they did, that’s just not an option. He just needs to improve his defense. His low post game was better by the end of the year, but he still needs to get stronger as well. I think there are enough minutes for four bigs.

packalum44
    Participant

Wait till’ next year huh. The optimism in the fan-base…..I can’t tell whether to laugh or cry.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Wait till’ next year huh. The optimism in the fan-base…..I can’t tell whether to laugh or cry.

Yes, yes, the brainless, delusional masses enjoying the most success we’ve seen in 25 years. I mean, heck, Gott can only make the S16 50% of the time. How long does it take to get the ship righted anyway??

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^Ignore…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Next year is huge for the program. If he returns his core group and takes a nice step forward, its proof that he is building and can build and has grown. If not, it will reinforce the negatives.

Personally, i’d love to see what he can do when he returns a full and experienced group that he recruited…it will be conclusive evidence as to whether or not we’re ready to compete with our neighbors and be taken seriously on a national level.

Tau837
    Participant

I’d really love to see him keep wearing an NC State uni.

Agreed.

He just needs to improve his defense.

He needs to improve quite a few things to earn more minutes at the expense of Abu, Anya, and Freeman:

1. Defense – all fundamentals, fouling
    2. Offense – Shooting percentage, shot selection, free throw rate, offensive rebounding

All the offensive stuff is related. He takes too many long jumpers, which leads him to have the worst shooting percentage, free throw rate, and offensive rebounding rate of the four bigs. He has good range for a big man, but it is rare that it benefits the team for him to be shooting long range jumpers instead of operating closer to the basket, especially when he is typically one of just two bigs on the floor.

When you combine that with the fact that his defense also is lacking, particularly in comparison to Freeman and Anya, it’s easy to see why he lost playing time.

That said, the physical skills and talent are there. I definitely think he can earn more minutes if he stays and works hard enough.

choppack1
    Participant

Tau – I see no evidence of a poor work ethic in Washington. What I do see is a guy who needs to be coached up on the defensive side of the ball and needs to get stronger.

Offensively, he’s got a good game for the high post offense.

My pitch to him would be to work hard – graduate in 3 – if you aren’t happy transfer. If you are – then expect big things here your senior year.

redcanine
    Participant

This was a fun season. Thanks, y’all.

redisgood
    Participant

I don’t get these optimistic fans either. It’s so much more fun being a whiny, miserable SOB.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^joke …

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BassPacker
    Participant

I don’t get these optimistic fans either. It’s so much more fun being a whiny, miserable SOB.

This year that only refers to my Tarhole friends and family in both basketball and football. Loving it !!

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

What a ride this year ! Spent lots of time renting my clothes and gnashing my teeth, but there were a lot of positives. Thanks players and staff !

Really hoping Kyle stays.

The biggest thing lacking in his offensive game is offensive game from one of the other bigs’ in the low post. Kyle’s extended range is perfect for the high post – he just needs one of the other guys to develop a reliable low post presence to work with him. That would probably take care of his poor shot selection by itself.

Abu is probably getting there faster, but Anya is progressing, and it would be great to see Freeman make a Howell-like jump on the offensive end for next year.

Imagine having the option of feeding Kyle in the high post with a legitimate threat underneath, too. Betting that’s what Gott and crew have been waiting on/working for.

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

Prowling Wolfie… I agree. I think that KW is what we want given he does let the shot selection get a little better. I’m ok with him taking those long jump shots though. He was our best 3 pt shooter on the team @ 54%.

What’s missing is he can’t truly play his game unfortunately without others establishing themselves in the low post. If Kennedy Meeks has to account for one of our bigs down low on the opposite side of the paint. KW shooting threat draws another big out of the lane.

Then you have Cat, Trevor Lacey, Twins, Terry Henderson now with room to do some things and much harder to double. I think the key to NC State accomplishing something special is Anya / Abu / Freeman getting on the low blow block getting points in the paint and drawing fouls. Then KW stretching the defense with the help of the twins all while our guards really start to have to have some fun and get some easier buckets.

I really like that depth across the board.

I’ll be a little anxious if Gott can’t convince some of these kids to hop on this train before it leaves the station though.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Agreed on KW. The biggest thing is getting more offensive consistency and rebounding from our bigs. One of them–Abu, Anya, or Freeman–needs to become a consistent 16 and 10 guy. Also would love to have a guy with a decent midrange game a la Buckets. I think Lacey can develop those moves so he doesn’t have to rely on the step back as much.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Canes advance to the NIT final. Seems they could have a pretty good year next year.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.