Reply To: NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition Reply To: NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition

Whiteshoes67
Participant

I understand the limitations of speed and athleticism on the defensive side of the ball, as well as the youth, and the decision to shift to a 4-2-5. Where we disagree is the application of the 4-2-5. The corners may not be NFL caliber, but it’s the safeties and LB’s in coverage who are weak links. There was talk early in the season about how vanilla the base defense looked, and that there would be more and more wrinkles to come. My complaint is just that, that we’re still pretty vanilla. Last year, we were also vanilla. I’d prefer to attack a little more, especially on 3rd downs. I think it boils to philosophy. Last year, on offense, we didn’t have the horses but we still tried to run the spread. Are you going to sit back with lots of cushion and rely on the front 4, or are you going to go after the quarterback? The safeties and LB’s aren’t great in coverage. Let them come after the QB a little more, that’s all I’m saying. If you get beat, so be it. You’re already getting carved up.