NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Gowolves
    Participant

Nothing wrong with fair criticism as long as you can provide substantial support for the issue. We know of one person who likes to stir the pot with comments that he is over his head. I think that is a fan that wants to stir the pot. I don’t know everyting about football but i feel like I know my share. Don’t mind being corrected.
    Greywolf, I don’t mind you settting me staright as most others. Just was sharing what I had noticed. It wasn’t too harsh just had a “I know what I am talking about tone”

Like I said just a observaation and no issue here 🙂

Greywolf
    Participant

There’s stuff I know and I know there’s stuff I don’t know.
    Then there’s stuff I don’t know that I don’t know.
    So as I learn what I don’t know I add that knowledge to what I do know.
    Yet the more I know, I’m aware that there is more that I don’t know.
    No matter how much I learn, The stuff I know that I don’t know seems inexhaustible.
    I’ve deduce that what I don’t know that I don’t know is infinite.

I know enough to know that I don’t know enough to know more than the coaches know.

cWOhLFrPAiCKs
    Participant

I’ve been surprised by the lack of pressure the defensive line is getting on a consistent basis. In the first quarter we seemed to be in Jameis’ face early and often, but as the game wore on, we just couldn’t get there. Could be due to fatigue or a change in scheme by FSU and a lack of reaction by our defensive coaches.

I expected more of an immediate impact from guys like Pharoah McKever and Kentavius Street but so far I haven’t seen it. Really expected a bigger season from Art Norman and he’s had his moments, but overall a disappointing start for the front four.

Aslo, losing Salahuddin and switching to the 4-2-5 has left us with one less linebacker to blitz with, which may be the reason we aren’t seeing more exotic blitzes on third down situations.

But I’ve been impressed with the strides Fernandez and Wright have made so far this season and hope the young guys will continue to grow at their positions.

Greywolf
    Participant

In the first quarter we seemed to be in Jameis’ face early and often, but as the game wore on, we just couldn’t get there.

Doeren complained about “invisible holding”. Holding is one way of keeping the DL form getting to your QB. 😉

I like the way you ask questions regarding complicated situations instead of having immediate answers. More often than not, questions are more valuable in solving complex problems than answers. Questions open up possibilities. Answers close down possibilities. Without new possibilities we are stuck with old answers. And if the problems were simple, they would be solved by Grad Asst’s.

switching to the 4-2-5 has left us with one less linebacker to blitz with, which may be the reason we aren’t seeing more exotic blitzes on third down situations.

Switching to the 4-2-5 was to provide a better defense to combat the spread offenses that are proliferating in college football. When we have the athletes with speed and size to do “press coverage” with our corners and maybe our Nickel, we will see the 4-2-5 as it is intended to function. Meanwhile we are having to accommodate less swift DBs. I don’t know what we are doing to compensate for the needed speed, but I’m sure it’s difficult to do.

“There’s stuff I know and I know there’s stuff I don’t know.
    Then there’s stuff I don’t know that I don’t know.
    So as I learn what I don’t know I add that knowledge to what I do know.
    Yet the more I know, I’m aware that there is more that I don’t know.
    No matter how much I learn, The stuff I know that I don’t know seems inexhaustible.
    I’ve deduce that what I don’t know that I don’t know is infinite.”

This is how it is installing a new defensive set — for the players and coaches. The leaders stay ahead of the herd and the followers never catch up.

packplantpath
    Participant

I’ve been surprised by the lack of pressure the defensive line is getting on a consistent basis. In the first quarter we seemed to be in Jameis’ face early and often, but as the game wore on, we just couldn’t get there. Could be due to fatigue or a change in scheme by FSU and a lack of reaction by our defensive coaches.

At least part of that was uncalled holding. Quite a few plays where one of our defenders was being held split seconds away from Winston right before he threw the ball. The holding was just enough to give him a bit of extra time. I also felt like frustration from that not getting called may have had to something to do with the personal foul roughing the passer penalty. From what I remember, most of it was on the edges not inside the line.

I suspect we had two sacks left on the field due to holding and several of them didn’t help our 3rd down defense stats.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I understand the limitations of speed and athleticism on the defensive side of the ball, as well as the youth, and the decision to shift to a 4-2-5. Where we disagree is the application of the 4-2-5. The corners may not be NFL caliber, but it’s the safeties and LB’s in coverage who are weak links. There was talk early in the season about how vanilla the base defense looked, and that there would be more and more wrinkles to come. My complaint is just that, that we’re still pretty vanilla. Last year, we were also vanilla. I’d prefer to attack a little more, especially on 3rd downs. I think it boils to philosophy. Last year, on offense, we didn’t have the horses but we still tried to run the spread. Are you going to sit back with lots of cushion and rely on the front 4, or are you going to go after the quarterback? The safeties and LB’s aren’t great in coverage. Let them come after the QB a little more, that’s all I’m saying. If you get beat, so be it. You’re already getting carved up.

Greywolf
    Participant

whiteshoes67, FSU’s great TE O’Leary did not have a catch in the game. Hard to say our LB’s and safeties weren’t doing the job since the TE is their responsibility. I was at the game, not watching on TV, and from my seat I couldn’t tell how the Nickel and corners were doing but I’d disagree with your assessment that the safeties and LBs were the weak link unless you consider the nickel back a safety.

For what it’s worth the FSU nickel back had a very hard time defending Bo Hines.

We wore down GSU and IDU and came from behind to win. FSU wore our OL down and came from behind to win. Our starting left guard was out with a virus. Our OL played without the benefit of substitution the entire time we had the ball — 91 snaps.

It’s My Not So Humble Opinion that Doeren’s philosophy is to build a base 4-2-5 defense that is fundamentally sound. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about what fundamentals of the 4-2-5 defense are to know where we stand, however, until in Doeren’s opinion we are playing fundamentally sound defense, I don’t expect to see anything exotic. Even if it might result in an advantage for us. I believe Doeren is in it for the long haul, not short term gains. I am putting my trust in him, his philosophy (whatever it is) and our assistant coaches.

Most of the comments I read are concerned with immediate results — 3rd and 4th down results, running outside instead of blocking for up the middle gains. Fortunately our offense with Jacoby Bissett, Shadrach Thornton, Bo Hines, the OL, etc., is very fundamentally sound and we are starting to see the more complete offensive package. Hopefully, soon our defense will shape up as well. We shall see. Until then I’ll just do what the rest of us do — grab the rearview mirror, look at the past and try to steer this vehicle through the conference schedule. 😉

tjfoose1
    Participant

<lockquote>Why don’t we let the straw man rest in peace.

Imagine if Dorothy and the Tin Man had that attitude. Geesh, only in Obama’s America.

Wait… being cognizant of where I am, let me be clear (see what I did there)… that last sentence was a joke. For those who don’t get the reference.

Archie’s shooting death

tjfoose1
    Participant

Are you going to sit back with lots of cushion and rely on the front 4, or are you going to go after the quarterback? The safeties and LB’s aren’t great in coverage. Let them come after the QB a little more, that’s all I’m saying.

They have been. They’ve rolled up the corners and bought up the safties. They’ve straight blitzed, zone blitzed, and shown blitzed and backed out… at about the right frequency.

tjfoose1
    Participant

FSU wore our OL down and came from behind to win.

Ummm… not 100% exactly true. The OL wore FSU’s DL down, at the individual player level. But then FSU faked injuries to catch their breath and/or switch out with subs. If you’re a DLineman, it’s not difficult to go full speed 100% effort for ONE play… That’s what they were doing. Faking injuries on the 2nd down play so they could be fresh on 3rd. Then they gave all they had for that one play. They’d be spent after, but they were then rolling out for the punt return team. If State converted, they’d sub out, or if couldn’t, wait for the next 2nd down play to fake another injury.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.