Depth chart posted here and Tom O’Brien held his first ‘weekly press conference’ this afternoon.
There is some bad news and some good news. Let’s start with the bad news because…well…because we are NC State fans:
* Reserve linebacker, Sterling Lucas, will miss the 2011 season. On one hand, this stinks a lot. The Wolfpack is very thin at linebacker and we have not just gotten more thin…especially as it relates to experience (as Lucas is a redshirt-senior). On the other hand, if Lucas can get another year of eligibility, his presence on next year’s roster will be a welcome addition to help blunt the blow of losing Audie Cole.
* State is listing FIVE freshmen on the two-deep. In addition to the three expected starters on special teams, Michael Peek is listed as the back-up strongside linebacker and Tyrell Burriss is listed as a back-up at cornerback. OUCH!! The obvious question is, ‘Where is Rashard Smith?’ (who is listed as the #2 punt returner)
Now on to some observations and some good news:
* Duran Christophe is listed to start on the offensive line, obviously brushing off his injury sooner than expected.
* It is very nice to see Tobias Palmer lay claim to a back-up spot at wide receiver. Palmer’s speed and elusiveness will hopefully provide us a weapon that is a different than we have seen in recent years.
* Brian Slay is slated to replace the injured JR Sweezy at defensive tackle as expected.
* It was a little bit of a suprise to see Darryl Cato-Bishop leaping McKay Frandsen at the defensive end opposite Jeff Rieskamp. I am choosing to believe that this is all about DCB’s strong performance which helps me sleep well about the general strength of the defensive line.
PLEASE take some time to participate in some of the dozens of conversations happening on our message forums. Summer is now over and it is time for everyone to contribute a little and get even more conversations flowing! Thanks!