Surprise, surprise…”Coach Fowler” is talking.
At the Raleigh Sports Club on the same day that he called into 850TheBuzz, Fowler noted the Pack will be playing just its third home game Saturday when it comes off semester exams to face South Carolina State at the RBC Center.
Excuse me? I guess I am curious as to why the people who actually control the schedule are now trying to use the schedule they control as a reference point of abnormality?
I agree with Fowler’s implied point that this schedule is absurd. I also don’t understand why he would be so stupid as to cite the abnormality of the schedule in public — as HE is responsible for the schedule!!!
(Now, before you run off on a tangent and start telling me how Quinten Jackson and the Basketball office is really in charge of the schedule, allow me to reference you to numerous newspaper articles on the public record from the early part of this decade where Lee Fowler explains to us all that HE is responsible for the scheduling at NC State. [These were written when Fowler first started scheduling ECU on the gridiron despite his head coach’s opposition to the policy.] So…argue with Lee Fowler and not us about it because he’s the one who has publicly stated he is responsible and therefore that is all that we have to use.)
Does Fowler think that us fans who have shelled out all of the money for lifetime rights to watch NC State play basketball have pity on them for so poorly executing the schedule such that all we have gotten to see a month into the schedule is William & Mary and New Orleans?
Jeez. Lee Fowler is the guy who wanted to play at East Carolina. Lee Fowler is the guy who mandated that we play at East Caroline. So, to deliver on Fowler’s mandate his Athletics Department came up with the brilliant idea to schedule the trip for a SATURDAY NIGHT after an 8 day layoff right before exams! All of this because we just had to play in Greenville – where we had NEVER played before – because Lee Fowler said that it would help our RPI. How’d that idea work out?
The bigger picture here is the headline that ‘Fowler Says Pack Will Work it Out’.
I obviously hope and pray that he is right and the Wolfpack gets back on the winning track very soon!
But, unfortunately, Lee Fowler has said so much in his career that I am not going to have faith in our basketball team getting back on track because Lee Fowler said so. As a reminder, Fowler has also said that:
* Playing at ECU in absketball would help our RPI.
* Herb Sendek was going to take us to national prominence.
* Chuck Amato was in strong standing less than a month before he was fired.
* A lot of Duke fans want to get rid of Coach K.
* He liked the idea of Steve Lavin as the head coach of NC State.
* That Sidney Lowe would not coach NC State for a month before hiring Sidney Lowe to coach NC State.
* That Herb Sendek had to leave NC State for safety concerns for his family.
* That only 50 crazy people on the internet didn’t like Herb Sendek.
* That it isn’t fair to hold our coaches accountable until they get brand new facilities.
* That we should aim to finish in the top 3rd of a 9 team conference and the top half of a 12 team conference
…do you feel better now that Fowler has siad that we will work things out?