Yow Said Her Future Not a Factor in Coaching Search

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Yow Said Her Future Not a Factor in Coaching Search

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

N.C. State athletic director Debbie Yow finds herself in a search for a basketball coach for the second time in six years and this time with an end date to her tenure at the school.

Yow is confident her pending retirement, planned for July 2019, will not affect the search for Mark Gottfried’s replacement.

“I could be wrong but I don’t think it complicates the hiring process,” Yow said. “Two and a half years is a long time in intercollegiate athletics. It’s like how they count dog years. So much happens in one year, it feels like seven.”

Yow made the decision to fire Gottfried on Thursday. He will coach the remainder of the season as Yow begins her search.

Mark Gottfried fired by NC State, but will finish season
    N.C. State has fired head basketball coach Mark Gottfried. He will coach the final four regular-season games and the ACC tournament, according to N.C. State athletic director Debbie Yow.

Stability in leadership is an important factor for most coaches, particularly in the high-profile revenue sports. Yow doesn’t deny that but said the school chancellor is also an important part of the equation. Randy Woodson, who will turn 60 in April, is also under contract through June 2019.

Woodson, the school’s chancellor since 2010, and his wife set up a $1.15 million scholarship fund to help pay tuition for the children of N.C. State employees in 2016.

“Randy is not going anywhere,” Yow said. “Randy is going to be here.”

Yow said the addition of a new $15 million dorm for both basketball teams, like ones at Kentucky and Kansas, will help in the hiring process.

“We have everything we need here to be successful,” Yow said.

Yow also said that Gottfried’s success, with four NCAA tournament appearances in six years, puts her in a better position than the last time she had to hire a coach. Yow fired Sidney Lowe after the 2010-11 season when the Wolfpack was in the middle of a five-year NCAA drought.

“Mark has elevated the program,” Yow said. “We can take the next step at this point.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article133331699.html#storylink=cpy

highstick
    Participant

Say what??

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

tractor57
    Participant

Nice try at spin but as Bubba would say “say what”. It could be that way or it could be not. I’m expecting the former.

StateRed44
    Participant

Please deliver for us Debbie.

Wulfpack
    Participant

“I could be wrong but I don’t think it complicates the hiring process,” Yow said.

And I certainly hope you are not wrong.

StateRed44
    Participant

Does it matter? She had to do it and she’s not gonna quit just because she needs to hire another coach. Lets pray she can get past all the negativity and just find the right guy.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I think she’s playing this perfectly. She could have waited until we lost the play-in round of the ACCT but did it now, this way she has the ability if not luxury of jumping every other P5 program that’s going to be coach hunting after their season ends. At least some of our issues previously came from our searches not being poised to move at season’s end then dragging on past when the good people were gone.
    I think a least part of a search is timing. Being 1st in the market is an advantage.
    The best situation would be for our next coach to be named the day after his season ends at his current job.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

She is as dumb as a stump if she doesnt think her retirement is going to be a factor.

Greywolf
    Participant

She is as dumb as a stump if she doesnt think her retirement is going to be a factor.

Why don’t you write her and let her know your opinion?
    Deborah Yow
    [email protected]

GoldenChain
    Participant

Debbie is the best AD we’ve had since Willis Casey. If I’m wrong tell me who was better….

BJD95
    Keymaster

That’s damning by faint praise.,.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

It ought to be a factor. How do we manage to screw this up every time? Why can’t we fire a coach in a professional manner that doesn’t make us look like the joke of the CBB world. We just feed these bozo announcers all the material they need. Its bad enough to endure terrible basketball but now I have to listen to this crap about how no one would want to coach at State for the rest of the season. Debs done a fair job for us but she has also caused the school a lot of embarrassment as well. Thanks Deb but you need to go as well – now. I’d like to see a search committee (with a professional firm really doing the leg work) head this up. Please NCSU, shock me with a well executed search and hire without all the drama and poor PR typical of an NCSU coaching hire.

Greywolf
    Participant

It ought to be a factor. How do we manage to screw this up every time? Why can’t we fire a coach in a professional manner that doesn’t make us look like the joke of the CBB world. We just feed these bozo announcers all the material they need. Its bad enough to endure terrible basketball but now I have to listen to this crap about how no one would want to coach at State for the rest of the season. Debs done a fair job for us but she has also caused the school a lot of embarrassment as well. Thanks Deb but you need to go as well – now. I’d like to see a search committee (with a professional firm really doing the leg work) head this up. Please NCSU, shock me with a well executed search and hire without all the drama and poor PR typical of an NCSU coaching hire.

Wolftown:
    You might have a different POV if you got your facts straight. Then again since you only see Yow doing a fair job, maybe facts won’t mean anything to you. As far as being embarrassed by what the media has to say, whatever embarrasses you was coming no matter who was AD or under any circumstances.

Debbie has said since she became AD that she would review coaches performances at the end of each season. Somebody leaked something and that something got put out for all to hear and see. Both Yow and Gottfried have handled the announcement that he would be fired at the end of the season about well as could be expected.

I don’t know what your problem with Debbie Yow is, but anyone who can’t see what she has done with Wolfpack athletics either doesn’t won’t to see it or is totally out of touch with athletics.

Even our football situation is given a very good chance of turning around by most observers. Even those of us who can’t see who we are doing it without top recruiting classes can see the quality of both lines and the quality of the depth we now have. Football is poised to surprise a lot of people. Our coaching staff IMO is first class — a very good mix of youth and experience. Just like the team they coach.

She has hired some of the best coaches available to lead all our teams. Many of our teams are making national noise and are highly ranked. She certainly has done nothing to be fired before her retirement.

Gowolves
    Participant

I think I am in the minority. I’m a fan of Yow as well. She has done as well as could be expected. For all the reasons Grey said.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I like Dr. Debbie too…

But I also think she, or anybody in the same position, would do a better job if they felt a little “heat”…
    That’s not to say, she’s oblivious — I cannot imagine that being the case, quite the opposite I’m sure…

That said, in this case, I also think 2 or 3 heads would be better than one.

Just tell us you’re not flying solo and we’ll all get in line….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

Kill it in the non revenue sports.

Get killed in revenue sports.

Same pattern up north.

I’m not sure how or if she was involved in that bad spending at merryland but what is the current financial state of Screw Up U?

McCallum

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would probably give her a B or B- overall, but mens’ basketball is our most visible and important program, and she committed several very big missteps there (at minimum – the pity party letter, the unnecessary extension).

Football is an incomplete. You can’t give Doeren extra credit for “doing it with low-rated recruiting classes” because recruiting is part of the job description.

But I understand that NC State football (unlike hoops) is a legitimate hard sell. So I grade that easier. He still has to produce this year or else.

Non-revenue sports are doing very well, agreed.

Adventuroo
    Participant

If folks think that Debbie is a Dumb Ass, then they obviously have no real world experience or have never had to manage departments or multi-million dollar projects or deal with the public and a lot of levels of “Administration”….plus supervising the cockiest bunch of employees this side of Hollywood.

I suggest that folks read this.

https://ncstate.rivals.com/news/q-a-debbie-yow-exclusively-breaks-down-coaching-search

I also suggest that they pull some of the posts from 2011 and also keep up with the facts. Debbie Yow was working on a solution to our issue last Saturday NIGHT….she was NOT at the Lady VT game and she never misses a game. She was putting her plan in action. Don’t KNOW who she met with? That is irrelevant. I still think that Gottfried was the leak source as a negotiating ploy.

He KNEW after the UNC game that she was on the warpath….he is NOT one to grovel….but he did.

Also, please be reminded that Shaka Smart 100% committed to us in 2011 and then, after his lawyers and our lawyers did an overnighter in a Richmond hotel room. When they called Shaka the next morning to tell them what was in the LOI, he hedged and then his wife said NO. Maybe some folks think that she should have been smarter and got a blood oath from a 6 month PG wife.

VCU also spent all night raising $$’s lure him back.

Smart’s first two years at TX are miserable. He DID go to the Dance last year. Lost his PG. Was supposed to be #2 in the Big 12 and is fighting to keep from being in last place.

Gottfried had a good run. At the PEAK, he reverted back to his old ways. THAT was when he should have been pulled, but he swore up an down that his personal issues would NOT interfere and that it was something that needed to happen.

You will also note that his second team was a fiasco from a chemistry and he lost control of them….was inconsistent in discipline. THAT shows up.

If you want to email Debbie, be prepared for a response within 45 minutes….regardless of the time of the night or weekend. There is not, I think, one other AD in the league that will answer her fans that quickly. She may NOT agree with you, but she will get back to you.

If there are procedural issues or a facility problem, she copies the right staff member and they KNOW to investigate and resolve it as she WILL follow-up.

She is a task master and is a tough cookie.

She has taken charge of this and now will go about the search as it should be done.

Don’t snipe at her based on gossip or ineundo….it is a TOUGH job and she has improved us beyond belief. I, for one, am confident that she will NOT let our MBB issues go by the board. She WILL make a good hire….maybe not someone that we all “think” is the best coach.

GW of MD fame was an @$$hole….worse than any UNC fan. She hired James Franklin to replace the Fridge. She told GW that he needed to find some fire in his belly or retire as his “I have a ring” was not enough and he was just being slack. He did not like that…as it was the truth.

Other than the EPSN Gomers that were buddy buddy and carousing buddies and also “charmed buddies” of Gottfried, there is no defense for what has happened. OF COURSE his friends will put the best spin on it.

It is what it is….and if he runs the table….great. Otherwise, his record for the past two years will be worse that Lowe’s and he was fired.

My rant….others will differ….

McC…

We are DOING FINE. We are one of the FEW schools with a surplus. The MD issue was a no win. Fans were mad and alum was split. NO attendance. Nothing improved. IF you read the reports, she did IMPROVE the bleeding…almost had it stopped. BUT, she also expected performance and the “good old boy” network leaned towards GW and the Fridge.

Read the article. She is committed to fixing this. This, FWIW, is NOT something that the WPC can fund. UNLESS some big donors step up and assist with Gott’s buyout, there will be some issues….coming out of reserve. If you look at our attendance numbers, Gott did NOT kick up Herbie’s numbers….barely an increase. He DID stop the Lowe bloodbath.

IF you want to know about our finances, email a question and I can assure you that you WILL get a response and an answer….but be prepared to deal with FACTS….

Let us know what she tells you when you question how she plans to bail her fanny out?

You can ALSO do some googling and get our NCAA reports….they, and every other school’s financial reports (50 odd pages) are out there. DO some reading…..email and ask her…I think it would be informative…

choppack1
    Participant

See – this is what I like about this site…You have rock-ribbed conservatives like roo arguing for DY and you have leftists like BjD arguing to the contrary – and for good measure you even have the trolling McCallum giving legit facts as well. (See there’s hope for merica yet )

Personally, in spite of the last search, I think Yow will play this hand better. I think she is hard working AND smart….And thus, I believe she learned her lesson first time around.

McCallum
    Participant

Debbie the Daring working last Saturday night…..oh my!

She is on it, taking care of business you see. Even missed a women’s game which she never does.

Wow.

See here lads. She HAD the VCU coach BUT his wife yanked his balls, VCU put together more money than State (snort!) and that is how State ended up with cheerleader banging lover boy.

But she WILL get it done.

She might even be working right now.

I think I’ll email and ask her about potpouri.

McCallum

packalum44
    Participant

Yow has an incredible eye for talent and the gumption to fire coaches: arguably the two most important traits for an AD. You can debate whether Gottfried was a B or C grade-hire but it wasn’t a D or F hire. Doerhen, currently a C+, is trending towards a B and, if we are so fortunate, could be a home run. I’ve been mum on him b/c I never saw a Sidney Lowe type (who didn’t speak proper English for Pete’s sake he constantly spoke in the wrong tense).

However her non-revenue hires, both here and at Maryland, have been spectacular. That’s not easy, especially at NC State which runs on a shoestring budget (despite the pride we feel for her we have a very poor school and are in the bottom Quintile of power 5). Don’t forget her head-coach-in waiting for Maryland football — James was a homerun “hire” that never occurred through no fault of her own. She was also right to try to fire Gary – what courage that took. He was holding the program hostage for his own personal gain (several million a year!)

Most arguments against Yow ring hollow to me.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I’m not sure how or if she was involved in that bad spending at merryland but what is the current financial state of Screw Up U?

“Yow’s “pick,” N.C. State Chancellor Randy Woodson, praised Yow for the success Maryland athletics has experienced under her watch. Since Yow came to College Park, the Terrapins have claimed 16 NCAA-sanctioned national championships in five sports. She also helped reduce an inherited, unfounded department deficit of $51 million to $5.5 million.”

“Last fall [article published June 26, 2010] Maryland revealed that season ticket sales in football have declined each year since the 2005 season. Last season [2009], the Maryland football team finished 2-10, a performance that led Yow to attempt — and fail — to raise the funds necessary to buy out Friedgen’s contract, according to multiple high-ranking donors. Many of those sources said Yow also tried to buy out Williams’s contract during the 2008-09 season.”

Looks to me like she was responsible for quite the financial turnaround as well as trying to boot the underperforming FB coach. She also had to deal with cranky Gary, who has poisoned the waters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/25/AR2010062504463.html

MD FB:

2005 5-6 (3-5)
    2006 9-4 (5-3)
    2007 6-7 (3-5)
    2008 8-5 (4-4)
    2009 2-10 (1-7)

tractor57
    Participant

Make that “sweaty Gary”

JeremyH
    Participant

Very interesting read, thanks. Sounds like she has the formula for success. Down to the internal search committee, to all the utility of an external search firm. I wonder if she knows about the “one shot for 1st tier coach” rule that BJD is preaching : )

GoldenChain
    Participant

What are you taking about? BJS IS on the internal search committee!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.