Your “Show of Hands…Who’s Still Here?” U*NC Game Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Your “Show of Hands…Who’s Still Here?” U*NC Game Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 302 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

Roo: I think Schroyer was hired for defense as well as recruiting. He was known for running the defense at UNLV, and as a head man at Tenn-Martin his teams won on defense. Yes, he is supposed to be a good recruiter as well but I could see Gott saying that he made a hire aimed at his weakness (defense).

My concern is that our defense looked better in the two exhibitions than it did the rest of the year. Granted we were playing over matched opponents, but in those games we played the match up zone, looked quite aggressive and went very deep into the bench (fresh legs). The season started and we immediately went back to playing our awful version of man and playing a short bench. How much can an assistant do if the culture from the top doesn’t stress defense? When the assistant is putting in his defense and then the head coach seemingly ditches it in game one, what message does that send the players and staff?

This is part of why I don’t agree with the people who say to “hire Keats and then hire a defensive assistant.” Commitment to defense starts at the head man, and if he doesn’t value it, it’s not going to be fixed by hiring an assistant.

I have been disappointed in the hires this year though. I guess even great recruiters (which Butch Pierre and to a lesser extent Schroyer are supposed to be) have to have something to sell.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

We must document the atrocities. Perhaps there will be a streaker? Perhaps GOTT will be the streaker??

I always watch the games in the mornings here after they’ve been played. Today it took forever on espn3 for it to get moved over from Live to Replay. I joked with a friend that maybe Gottfried went running around with no clothes and they had to corral him and it made the game last forever. What’s the deal with thinking of Gott running around naked on the court?

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Anyone be against Whittenburg finishing the year as the head coach? I’m sure someone has brought it up and I’m just repeating it. I think the kids would play hard the rest of the season listening to someone else.

JeremyH
    Participant

I say throw it to Schroyer, and see if his defenses stick given he’s the head guy.

ryebread
    Participant

Don’t throw it to anyone. That is only done if one thinks there is a season to salvage, or that the person who it is thrown to might be a potential successor. This should be a complete flush with everyone involved (outside of the S&C coach) gone.

StateRed44
    Participant

Don’t throw it to anyone. That is only done if one thinks there is a season to salvage, or that the person who it is thrown to might be a potential successor. This should be a complete flush with everyone involved (outside of the S&C coach) gone.

I agree with this. As tempting as it is to chop off a head midseason, it will not make the search go faster. At least now there is plausible deniability. The media will try to sabotage anything. They will write negativity about the school when we have played by the rules for 30 straight years. Blow them off and say we have a coach. Begin the prelims now but we can’t talk to anybody seriously until mid march no matter what.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Why are you being an ass to him? He did nothing to you

What are you talking about? I just want to play the, ‘Yow is a total neophyte,’ game with everyone else.

gso packbacker
    Participant

IF we are concerned about how we are viewed by coaching candidates, then as much as I dislike it, we should let him finish the season.

We already know he is gone so the only other possible benefits of letting him go at this point would be to send a message to the players in hope that they wouldn’t transfer or to promote a potential replacement and see how they do (not sure it would be a fair assessment for anyone involved).

Anyway, we can accomplish the former in other ways (primarily though a very solid hire), and the latter I have no desire for. One of our Assistants may actually be the solution, but nobody on that bench should be under consideration (other than Anya! 🙂 )

MrPlywood
    Participant

IF we are concerned about how we are viewed by coaching candidates, then as much as I dislike it, we should let him finish the season.

Listening the Newy Scruggs Show (NBC Sports Radio) again this morning, caught an interview with Jeff Gravely who perpetuated the “Debbie Yow is hard to work for” meme. Guh. WTF is with that?

Newy to his credit is still in State’s corner and touts State an opportunity for the right coach, and like posters here pointed out, that other ACC schools are doing well despite competing with unx and Dook.

Speaking of Dook, Scruggs mentioned Chris Collins as a potential candidate (his idea) and his on-air partner said that no Dook player would ever coach against Dook in the ACC. Really?

Archie is on the show at 2:30pm EST. Of course he won’t say much about any job openings, but I’ll listen anyway.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Anyone who doesn’t take a job because an AD is reportedly hard to work with is a patsy.

This team could do no worse if it were to carpool to the gamesite without coaches.

Early in the season, there were multiple instances where Schroyer through up his hands in disbelief over effort, a defensive lapse, etc. The head man did nada.

Pine time plus drills are the only ways to communicate and teach 18-20 year olds, especially of this generation. Cause there’s a good chance they haven’t had much instruction on the defensive end anyway.

BJD95
    Keymaster

If I have CHOICES, I probably wouldn’t pick a place where the administration is dysfunctional. Chances are, that will impact me down the line, in some form or another.

Anyway, agree that pretty agnostic about the interim coach thing. Too late to do any good now, we’ve already lost 11 and been embarrassed at home by the Holes. No dignity left to save, and he’s at least letting KH play.

Re Collins, I’m pretty sure “K’s guys” all still ask his permission before they so much as take a bowel movement.

Also, he’s an asshole, and I don’t allow him to turn us down.

gso packbacker
    Participant

If she is hard to work for that is one thing. If it is lack of money, resources, moral support, or whatever, then that is a different story altogether.

Either way, from the top (i.e., Chancellor) we need to sufficiently understand the true challenges we face in the coaching marketplace, make the appropriate corrections, and then effectively communicate within the coaching circles.

Since perception is reality, let’s create a better perception. Wonder if Carolina’s PR firm has some extra time?

PapaJohn
    Participant

Pack Pride on Twitter
    “NC State has confirmed that Mark Gottfried has been fired as head coach. He will coach the rest of the season.”

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Bleacher Report says Gott has been officially fired, but will finish out the season

StateRed44
    Participant

If she is hard to work for that is one thing. If it is lack of money, resources, moral support, or whatever, then that is a different story altogether.

Either way, from the top (i.e., Chancellor) we need to sufficiently understand the true challenges we face in the coaching marketplace, make the appropriate corrections, and then effectively communicate within the coaching circles.

Since perception is reality, let’s create a better perception. Wonder if Carolina’s PR firm has some extra time?

Perception is reality but often on of the greatest human errors is the notion that things won’t change. The powerful will always be powerful etc… Things always change, always, always. They always do. We can be successful. There is no birthright to success anywhere. We just have to make it happen. We are no more inept as a university than anywhere else. It’s not like we are a bunch of retards. Everybody makes mistakes from the top to the bottom. The perception is based on history, but the future is not set.

StateRed44
    Participant

Pack Pride on Twitter
    “NC State has confirmed that Mark Gottfried has been fired as head coach. He will coach the rest of the season.”

Well, good I guess. Weird, but whatever.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Combined with WRAL, this means the AD’s office is willing to admit the earlier leak’s validity now.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Listening to Archie right now. Crazy that the State announcement right before Archie came on. Of course he denies contact with any school.

Wulfpack
    Participant
    StateRed44
    Participant

“It has been a privilege to serve as head coach of NC State, and I’m proud of what we have accomplished during my time here,” said Gottfried. “NC State is a special place and I appreciate the opportunity to finish the remainder of the season.” – Gott

This is classy guys. He leaves with dignity intact IMO.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Classy. Who cares?

eas
    Participant

Just finished the Archie interview on NBC sports. I have to say he said a lot of POSITIVE things about the Wolfpack. Of course he denied everything but I feel like his door is open for conversation. Sure made me feel good about what he said about tobacco road and how special the people at NC State were to him.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Archie spoke fondly of his time at State, and the competition on Tobacco Road. He was absolutely non-committal about everything but coaching his team – as expected. Any contact at this point would have been through an intermediary anyway for plausible deniability.

Audio here: https://twitter.com/NewyScruggsShow/status/832316532931837952

RE:

Things always change, always, always. They always do. We can be successful. There is no birthright to success anywhere.

This. I am so tired of lectures from Holes who think that this situation cannot change, and that State fans should just deal with it. That coming from a school that cared so much about winning that they created an entire sham course of studies to keep athletes from multiple sports eligible. Get out.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Perception is reality but often on of the greatest human errors is the notion that things won’t change. The powerful will always be powerful etc… Things always change, always, always. They always do. We can be successful. There is no birthright to success anywhere. We just have to make it happen. We are no more inept as a university than anywhere else. It’s not like we are a bunch of retards. Everybody makes mistakes from the top to the bottom. The perception is based on history, but the future is not set.

Agree 100%. I am in the business of change. My point is to understand the perceptions of others (potential candidates) and change that.

StateRed44
    Participant

And the biggest thing that ticks me off about us is this constant fear of ridicule from over the hill (media, or really over the hill). You have to be bold and go against the grain. Don’t live your life or institutional life in a fear of backlash or ridicule. Just keep about your business and go forth. This is how true conquerors operate.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 302 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.