Your “Bounceback Road Win…Hopefully” BC Game Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Your “Bounceback Road Win…Hopefully” BC Game Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

I just saw this on another site. Damning if true.
    “Gottfried is 45-47 in the ACC…”

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

It is chicken or egg

I don’t care which it is and don’t see the need in trying to figure it out. In other words, I’m not looking for a place to lay blame…all I care about is responsibility. Coaches get paid to win…and State isn’t doing enough of that. It doesn’t get more complicated than that for me.

State is 1-3 with a conference schedule that a sure NCAAT team would be no worse than 3-1. For all those that excused the OOC losses because of missing players, when exactly are those players going to make a difference?

StateRed44
    Participant

I dub this team the glass menagerie. We got a porcelain turkey for Christmas this year.

WTNY
    Participant

Tau837: maybe Y7 stays. Maybe he “goes pro” back to Europe. Maybe he transfers.

I think Rowan transfers (my guess; no info)
    Kirk is a soph so given Gott’s history, he’s probably gone too.
    Who do we have left?

Johnson/Dorn/Hicks/Kapita/Freeman

If we think this year is ugly…

TheCOWDOG

I dub this team the glass menagerie. We got a porcelain turkey for Christmas this year.

Almost. What we have is not a team, but a collection of fine trinkets.

Zaphod
    Participant

Not sure I get the love for Johnson…he’s shooting 36% from the floor and 25% from 3…and he is a terrible free throw shooter. I still think our best lineup is Smith, Henderson, Dorn, Abu, Anya…with Yurtseven first off the bench. I get wanting to take some of the ball-handling off Smith, but Johnson needs to stop shooting.

Of course, so does Smith…

StateRed44
    Participant

Is he scared to coach Smith, or is he wanting Smith to jack up crap whenever he feels like it? Probably somewhere in the middle. I want so badly to be a huge Smith fan.

I agree about Johnson. I think people think he’s great because he hustles. His shot does suck now though.

Rick
    Keymaster

I agree about Johnson. I think people think he’s great because he hustles. His shot does suck now though.

When you have a team that doesn’t hustle people will naturally gravitate to someone who does.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Not sure I get the love for Johnson

When you have a team that doesn’t hustle people will naturally gravitate to someone who does.

What we have is not a team, but a collection of fine trinkets.

To be a true TEAM, we’ve GOTT to have at least one “Hustle Guy” on the floor all the time…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

What we have is not a team, but a collection of fine trinkets.

Worth repeating.

Rick
    Keymaster

One vote for keeping Johnson on the floor the whole game….

BTW I did not even realize we had a kid named Johnson on the team.

ryebread
    Participant

Looking more and more like Lutz may have the “glue guy” holding things together as best he could from his position.

We dumped him and many of the intricacies required for being a team appear to have vanished.

We have all the pieces to be a top 10 squad and we look awful, uncoached, and have NOT shown any signs of improvement throughout the season.

This was the roster to show what Gott can really do, and unfortunately we’re seeing it.

That’s kind of how I see it as well. The season technically isn’t over and there is lots left to play for, but the trajectory we are on right now is that of yet another season where we don’t maximize potential.

When that happens over and over regardless of the players, there is one common denominator — the coaches. When it happens across different sets of assistants, and different programs, then it is the head coach. Nothing’s really changing until he’s changed. I don’t think we should move now, but we need to be making plans and setting very clear expectations.

The bigger question is Yow, whether she has the gumption to do what is needed to her personal friend, whether she can actually hire a good coach in men’s basketball and whether the powers that be have seen enough? My suspicion is that she’s done all she can do at NC State but we may be too cash strapped to buy her out (hilarious that an AD has a buy out).

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Gott’s comments about the game:

“Don’t care. Don’t care if you do. Hell, I don’t really give a sh*t if anybody does. We got better tonight. You know we’ve played four games in the league, three have been on the road. Most people think BC is just not very good but they’re wrong. They beat Providence, beat Syracuse, they’re a good team. So our team got better tonight and it’s a long season and we’ve got a lot of young players playing. I know our team got better and we’re are going to keep getting better and go from there.”

Rick
    Keymaster

Gott’s comments about the game:

“Don’t care. Don’t care if you do. Hell, I don’t really give a sh*t if anybody does. We got better tonight. You know we’ve played four games in the league, three have been on the road. Most people think BC is just not very good but they’re wrong. They beat Providence, beat Syracuse, they’re a good team. So our team got better tonight and it’s a long season and we’ve got a lot of young players playing. I know our team got better and we’re are going to keep getting better and go from there.”

That’s a big middle finger to the fans. Notice Gott didn’t say who BC lost to. They are a baaaad team.

Zaphod
    Participant

I just checked…the 5 players for BC with the most minutes this year: 1 freshman, 3 sophomores, one senior…so they are a young team slowly responding to coaching…and ya want to talk about being left with the cupboard bare? That would be BC.

Our lineup? One freshman, one third-year sophomore, one junior, 2 seniors.

The “we are a young team” shtick is getting very old.

rthomas44
    Participant

I have to guess that if he keeps this up,he will be gone. Only State will look like a joke and will have to start over from scratch.

JeremyH
    Participant

Here’s my wild guess on Lutz. We were happy that we got him as an assistant, he was credited for being a solid X-and-Os coach and some of our success, from that he became a name mentioned in multiple head coach searches, but it never turned into another head coach job. He continued to do a great job here but tried to further assert himself on team direction (maybe too much) leading to some friction, departure, and Gott realizing too late Lutz was responsible for a lot of intangibles. But I cannot imagine not replacing the skill set of Lutz in one of these new coaches, and maybe Schroyer has not been fully integrated, whatever that means, but that’s on Gott to resolve.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Jeremy… from where I sit… that’s not really as wild a guess as you might think….

Maybe not so such about the circumstances surrounding the departure… that could have been as “the wrong man said the wrong thing on the wrong day” — either man— but with the daily/weekly X&O stuff– that approved by top mgmt– Lutz was an exceptionally good Assistant Coach…

At this point, we don’t know who’s filling Lutz’s shoes….

———————

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    GoldenChain
    Participant

Gott! Why so defensive?! If only you could get your team to be that defensive minded!

Adventuroo
    Participant

Wrote a LONG post…it got zapped. Lutz was the Defensive Guru that Gott hired to compliment his offense prowess. They parted company last year. They got into shouting matches. This comes from a person that attends a LOT of NCSU practices and also is at most of the Women’s games and sits and talk with a few of the Men’s BB players who come in after practice. He confided it with a high ranking WPC member that the practices were as volatile as Gottfried’s divorce. Lutz was fired. Yow kept him on until October to let him get vested in the NC Retirement system. Lutz confirmed this, personally, in an email.

Gottfried has eliminated the HEALTH stressor. He is now divorced and has a very nice looking GF that spends a lot of time at his new place. That eliminates the RELATIONSHIP stressor. MAYBE she is wearing him out….who knows.

Sidney, if you recall, went downhill after his son’s personal problems and also his separation. He left Gottfried with a talent pool….something that LOWE did not inherit. I attended every home game, the entire ACC Tourney, Columbus and St. Louis in Gottfried’s first year. He did an excellent job with Lowe’s talent.

I have notified the WPC that I will NOT make a donation that I had verbally committed to (had the forms). I can not in clear conscience send them the stock for the donation. Last night’s outburst and the logic of “they are young and we made progress”. I was at the VT game. I watched the UNC and BC game. The team seems to be a product of coaching….NOT talent. We HAVE TALENT.

Of course, AD Yow needs to do an objective evaluation. She held back no punches with Lowe. I think that Lowe or Sendek could do as well or perhaps better with our talent. I also respect what she has done to elevate our entire program. Will she do this? Will Dr. Woodson get involved? I have a better feel for what Trump’s first 100 days will be like than the answers to the first two questions.

If the comments about the team chemistry and the CJL virus resurfacing is correct, then the season is OVER….and if it is, then our relationship with Coach Gottfied probably needs to be over….

Wes Moore lost tonight. I was at the Syracuse game last year. Same result….different year. BUT, he was coaching to the last second. My thought was…”Can he coach MBB?”

Outta here….did NOT wear any RED today or any Logo clothing….rarely a day goes by without some WP article of clothing….but NOT NOW….BC almost killed our FB program and history is repeating itself in MBB.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Roo (and to anyone else who has had posts disappear) try composing your posts, especially long ones, in a text editor then copy and paste into the site. That will save you a lot of time if something goes awry.

eas
    Participant

After watching his post game outburst I’m wandering if he was even present during the BC game? The comments about them playing strong defensively and executing the offense well were way off. The defense was awful with multiple pick and roll plays by BC (basic middle school type plays cutting down the middle) and the offense looked the same to me, your basic mess with little to very little organization. BC is not a strong team Gott. That’s not to say they can’t be I guess but that’s not why we lost. I don’t know what’s going on but it ain’t good. The results on the court are awful really and YES we do have talent.

Adventuroo
    Participant

JeremyH,

I will give you my INSIDER take on this….Lutz was well respected by the team. Last year when the kitchen got really hot and the food was late, the chief chef and the assistant got into some shouting matches. Coach G who runs his practices to the nearest minute would rant and rave and Lutz got tired of being abused for the lack of D when we were suffering big time from lack of O.

This comes from a pretty reliable source….a ranking member of the NCSU 1983 team who fired the final Shot (pass) that Lo dunked. If you go to the Women’s games, there are several MBB members that attend and they have their “reserved place”. Whitt is usually there and chit chats with them, so he DOES maintain a relationship with the team despite not being on the coaching staff.

The Lowdown from Whitt comes from an impeccible source that has a nice tailgating setup and Whitt comes over from his spread and chats a lot. I do NOT believe that the comments about the shouting matches are an embellishment or a “net” rumor.

SO, Lutz was fired. AD Yow kept him on (confirmed in an email from him personally) until October until he was more vested in the NC Retirement system. THEN, he split. HE was very candid in his last official NCSU.EDU email….FIRED.

Lutz was the compliment to Coach Gottfried’s OFFENSE. Lutz was the Defensive Guru. We shucked him and hired two recruiters. Maybe the Campus Police will track him down and make him bring back our defense.

SO, we basically have NO defense this year. It seems like the Locker Room was NOT decontaminated and the CJ Leslie “I can DO THIS….watch me” virus has returned. IF the comments about the demeanor of the team are correct, then the team chemistry is rapidly deteriorating and the DJS Show for the NBA scouts is wearing thin.

I have NO insider info as to what will happen this season. I have elected to forego a sizeable donation this year and have stated WHY to the WPC. It would have been done last year except we were a little too heavy in donations and my DW, my accountant, decided to defer it to this year. It ain’t gonna happen. Probably the ONLY one…but I did register my vote with my pocketbook and have passed that info on to the WPC.

Last night’s outburst was not professional. Coach Gottfried ought to be pretty laid back now. He has had his AFib procedure (I have AFib so I understand). That is a BIG STRESSER removed. He also has formalized his divorce and he and Elizabeth have spit the booty. He has a very nice (younger and semi-trophy) GF that spends a lot of time in his new abode. He does NOT have to be on the “Prowl”. My wife thinks that she is actually too demanding of his male virility and “wearing him out”….DO NO MESS WITH MY DW….she will HURT YOU. Don’t know about his personal situation or female companionship…but it OUGHT to be OK.

SO, if you eliminate TWO stress points, then he ought to be fully focused. You WILL recall that Coach Lowe’s demise started when his personal issues (son and wife and separation) took its toll.

SO, what IS the excuse….? I don’t know. Lowe left Coach a GREAT stable. He managed it well and got to the Sweet Sixteen. I was there and followed the team to the ACC Tourney, Columbus and St. Louis. I was never prouder.

NOW, the bubble seems to have burst. What needs to be done is an honest (no personality issues involved) evaluation at the end of the season. That may have to start with Dr. Woodson. AD Yow has done an outstanding job of improving our AD and we have a lot of respect….but we have NOT achieved the “Top 25” status for the two major Revenue sports…which was a stated goal.

I certainly hope that she casts aside her friendship with the coach and evaluates him as her employee and not her friend. She showed little mercy with Coach Lowe….that was probably the best thing to do….but that same type of professional review needs to be done this year…..hopefully it will.

The women suffered an ugly defeat at Syracuse tonight. UP by 10 at the half. I saw the SAME game last year at Broughton last year. We lead….we stumbled….they triumphed. BUT, I did wonder….can Wes Moore coach MBB?

My opinion….probably not shared by many….and not wine fortified….

Rick
    Keymaster

Roo,
    I found your post and posted it.
    It is repetitive but has some additional flavor.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Wrote a LONG post…it got zapped.

I’m doing good just to spell HTML so I have no idea why a post with no links would have gotten zapped. Maybe someone that actually understands the forum software could chime in with some advice on how to get your comments posted the first time.

Roo (and to anyone else who has had posts disappear) try composing your posts, especially long ones, in a text editor then copy and paste into the site.

Until we get a solution, this sounds like our only option.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.