You can switch one team out of conference who goes and who comes

Home Forums All StateFansNation You can switch one team out of conference who goes and who comes

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    tspeight1979
    Participant

I just finished a conversation with a die hard ecu fan. Who made a great point in how wake forest should be dropped and replaced with ecu. They have a consistent football and baseball teams, also they could build a basketball program in the acc. So what do you think. I know its bad topic but hey there is no basketball or football recruiting news to talk about.

BassPacker
    Participant

You been talking to my brother !! He’s been saying that since Pat Dye was in Greenville.

Wulfpack
    Participant

That is just silly in my humble opinion.

To answer the question, now that Maryland is gone I really don’t know. The new Big East programs haven’t been around long enough for me to develop much of a disdain for them (yet). I see positives from just about everyone else. As much as I dislike FSU, they carry the torch in football.

tspeight1979
    Participant

well i would drop wake just because football to me is important and i dont see that program getting any better. ECU got football and baseball two of 3 majors. Plus to me just makes sense wake has only baskeball and golf

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

.. And the TarHoles take down their Banners and quit cheating …

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Agree with Wulf on the “now that Maryland is gone…” aspect.

Wake would be near the top of my ‘keep’ list though. They most certainly are NOT basketball and golf only. In fact, they’ve won in football, basketball AND baseball waaaaay more recently than we have.

In any case, I’d rather eat dirt than add ECU.

tjfoose1
    Participant

^ What Wuf said.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… ^^ fwiw… some dirt tastes better than other dirts and historically peoples have believed eating dirt was good for the digestion… to which I might add… that could be especially beneficial for folks who keep stuff like long running grudges bottled up inside of them…

… which is no ways means I am, in any ways whatsoever, in favor of letting the PieRats into ‘our’ conference…. rather … I’m just adding some miscellaneous, useless, trivia about ‘dirt’ to an already ‘soiled’ conversation…

… and let’s add ‘Swofford will retire’ to my list above of three things we see happen first before we (the ACC) start voluntarily sharing our bowl and tournament money with those PieRats…

tjfoose1
    Participant

Nothing to do with a grudge. I even paid money (full ticket price) to go to their homecoming game this year.

They’re a useless to negative add to the conference in too many ways, sports and otherwise.

Deals should be about mutual benefit, not charity.

If your only reasons for wanting to add ECU is football and baseball, think again.

Aside from a major case of over valueing the supposed benifit, consider Duke.

How often does State play Duke? Who controls when, where, and how often?

Wulfpack
    Participant

If I’m adding schools to the ACC, ECU is way down the list. I really don’t see much value there. Not a knock just calling it as I see it. There’s a reason they have not been considered and passed over by other conferences as well.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… foose … I won’t referring to you and your ‘grudges’…

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Missouri < -----> NC State 😀

Greywolf
    Participant

I’d take ECU… the day after the SEC adds Central Florida.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^^I’m surprised it took that long for someone to suggest us as the school that goes out. Maybe it was too obvious.

jrcox4
    Participant

I’d swap us and Kentucky.

Basketball:
    Kentucky would add to the ACC basketball “pedigree” far more than we will in the future. Kentucky also would be far more likely to win an ACC title in basketball than we will vpgiven the conference shakeup. Kentucky would pair with Louisville to give the ACC two major in state rivalries. The other obviously being duke and unx. It isn’t easy to swallow, but we just don’t add that much value to the basketball table comparative to Kentucky. We would be far more likely to compete for SEC titles in basketball than in the ACC. Sorry, call me what you will, but the odds are not in our favor,me specially after we let in Cuse and Louisville. Furthermore, the ACC has made it very clear they want to focus on basketball. Kentucky would greatly help that profile.

Football:
    We’re probably fairly comparable all things considered. I think in any given year we have an edge over Kentucky, but I think we have a higher ceiling in football than they do. We just need he SEC recruiting pitch to get us there.

I think overall it makes sense for the ACC: Kentucky focuses on basketball in a football conference and we can’t make up our mind which one we want to focus on, but with even marginal success in football we could easily (IMO many of us are already there) make football our primary focus.

Greywolf
    Participant

with even marginal success in football we could easily (IMO many of us are already there) make football our primary focus.

I resemble that remark

BJD95
    Keymaster

Missouri < —–> NC State :D

My thoughts exactly. We take Mizzou or Kentucky’s slot.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Additionally, I would quit following the ACC completely and consider burning my diploma if we ever let the Pie-rats in. They can eat shit and die already.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Additionally, I would quit following the ACC completely and consider burning my diploma if we ever let the Pie-rats in. They can eat shit and die already.

You don’t have to bottle your emotions … you’re amongst friends. Just let go and tell the world how you feel!

🙂

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… we’re loaded up and headed your way beej…

We’ll be there first thing in the morning and I’m gonna help Rick build a road into your backyard…

They’ll never find where you buried those Pie-rats …
    … and I know a good attorney if it comes to that…

highstick
    Participant

All of the above, but it would be cute to go to the SEC and let the Holes and Pierats rot in hell!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I just had my Jimmy V, annual cry, and I feel cleansed….

GoPack83
    Participant

I personally don’t understand the desire for us to move to the sec. It may benefit the football program but this would be at the expense of pretty much every other sport and in some cases academics. I believe a large part of our success in basketball recruiting is due to selling the acc. Sure it would be nice to finish top three in the sec each year which we might have with the teams on campus the past couple of years but I don’t see us recruiting those caliber teams in the sec. How do you sell a North Carolina kid to play against auburn, miss st, Georgia, usc team for four years when duke, wake, and unc can offer the ACC?

As far as non revenue sports go, it would be a lateral (maybe step up, maybe) step in baseball and a monumental step back in virtually all other sports. There is not even men’s soccer at majority (?) sec schools. And the triangle area has top 10 nationally ranked club soccer at the youth level. The sec is also considered a much less prestigious academic conference across the board.

If I am missing some part of the appeal, please let me know (honestly let me know, this argument interests me), otherwise I’ll keep the acc as is.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Football recruiting, football money, self-respect.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

It may benefit the football program but this would be at the expense of pretty much every other sport and in some cases academics. I believe a large part of our success in basketball recruiting is due to selling the acc. Sure it would be nice to finish top three in the sec each year which we might have with the teams on campus the past couple of years but I don’t see us recruiting those caliber teams in the sec. How do you sell a North Carolina kid to play against auburn, miss st, Georgia, usc team for four years when duke, wake, and unc can offer the ACC?

As far as non revenue sports go, it would be a lateral (maybe step up, maybe) step in baseball and a monumental step back in virtually all other sports. There is not even men’s soccer at majority (?) sec schools. And the triangle area has top 10 nationally ranked club soccer at the youth level. The sec is also considered a much less prestigious academic conference across the board.

First off, being in the SEC doesn’t seem to have hurt Florida in building a 2 time National Champion in basketball as well as being Top 25 most years. Seems to me if you have the right coach you can win anywhere.

Second, research in the past has shown most basketball recruits tend to gravitate toward schools located in or next to major cities as opposed to isolated college towns in the middle of nowhere (where most SEC schools usually are). This has something to do with the programs history but also that most of the best players come from major metropolitan areas and prefer a school with access to a bigger city. Since NC State has the benefit of history (though not recent) and major city we have the built in advantages of recruiting that most SEC schools don’t have and thus wouldn’t be hurt by being a part of the SEC. As for selling the ACC, well considering selling is all about TV exposure, everyone is on TV now even the SEC the last time I checked.

Last point, no one gives 2 cents about non-revenue sports other than those who play them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.