Woody Durham Has Passed

Home Forums All StateFansNation Woody Durham Has Passed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pack78
    Participant

As a Wolfpacker, I did not love him, but this is bigger than that; prayers to the family:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article203874229.html

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Yep…

I remember Woody before he became the Voice of the Heels…
    A young guy just starting out in the ’60s at WFMY – Channel 2 in Greensboro…
    If Bill Curry hadn’t taken that job in Pittsburg… Woody might have made it to the Bigs…

It’s kinda of ‘funny’… that his passing coincides with the ACC Tournament…
    This way, he’ll get to watch the games for the first time in a while and sit with all his friends…

RIP

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    rthomas44
    Participant

Always listened to after a heels loss…RIP.

GoldenChain
    Participant

Well I just never liked the guy period. In fact he epitomizes everything I detest about hole arrogance and superiority. Wasn’t sitting around wish for him to die but won’t go to his wake either. His last half dozen years he became very outrageous in his commentary so I listened for comic relief if I was in the car.
    But as far as a play-by-play guy? His calling a game involved telling you all the calls against unx that were missed and all the calls that unx received that were incorrect. I don’t think that’s very good.

Pack78
    Participant

Woody gave you a ‘TV commentary’ on radio broadcasts-constantly wondering: “Where is the ball-what yardline?’ Was it a first down’, etc…on radio, we cannot ‘see’ those things…

GoldenChain
    Participant

I always laughed at his ‘fashion report’ “the tarholes in their xarolina blue jerseys and britches with white lettering, featuring a white stripe down the side enblazened with navy/xarolina blue and black argyle, against the Blue Devils in their drab navy blue uniforms with block white letters” a tradition Jones Angle continues to this day.
    Wally Osley (a unx grad BTW) and Gary Hawn do about as professional and evenhanded job as anyone, especially Wally. Its great when we win but when we lose its just a game and we’ll get ’em next time! And back then we usually did get ’em next time.

tractor57
    Participant

I also remember Woody at WFMY. Once doing UNX games he was a homer for sure. Not my favorite but awful way to go.

McCallum
    Participant

I guess the “Hold’em heals” meal deal at Wendy’s is no more.

McCallum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.