Wolfpack Men's Roundball Starts Tonite!

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Wolfpack Men's Roundball Starts Tonite!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

Please note I said ‘so far’.
    I hope/believe we will see a steady improvement in the defense. But I doubt we see that improvement in shooting.

ryebread
    Participant

I’ve watched all our games, the exhibition and our Italy games as well. I see clear progress.

Things that are good:
    – Effort
    – Pressure defense
    – Help defense
    – Taking charges
    – In game adjustments
    – Getting everyone involved
    – Playing for the team
    – Pace
    – Team fitness and S&C
    – Not barking at the refs
    – Active coaching by the head man when players come out of the game or at dead ball situations
    – Some of our players fit perfectly into this system. The back court combination of Johnson and Batts are going to give teams absolute fits over the next three years. Dorn is really playing well. Nard looks by far the best he has in a NC State uniform.

Things that need improvement:
    – Player fit to system. Some of our guys just aren’t aligned to this style of play.
    – Half court offense. We’ve adapted well in game to what is working. Last night we switched to driving to the hole again and again after getting down by chunking up a bunch of threes. The first game we moved the ball incredibly well, and moved off the ball well. That hasn’t been as good the last two games. I think this is something that can improve this year.
    – OOC schedule: Not set up to give us the RPI needed to get off the bubble. It is the ONLY thing I’m seeing that Gott did better than KK. Something to keep an eye on.
    – Shooting. Outside of Hunt, we really don’t have any good shooters. This is back to player fit to system. We’re going to have to recruit some.
    – Free throws. I think this is different than just pure shooting. Sure a pure shooter is going to make more, but I think across the board teams can improve. Last night was better. We’ll see if this continues.

I’m seemingly in a minority, but I’m pretty excited. We’re going to take some lumps along the way, but this is the best I have felt about our basketball program in 20 years.

gso packbacker
    Participant

3 games into the season and we haven’t been in a game that felt like a nail-biter. Sad to say, but I too feel like that is a small step forward.

Bottom line, I feel like we will be a better this year with Keatts than we would have been with Gott. However, I am grading this season like we were graded in NC State PE classes. That is, not upon how good we are (W-L record), but how much better we get over the course of the season.

tractor57
    Participant

I expect some ugly games this year as we really don’t have all the personnel ti fit the system. It also remains to be seen if Keats can adjust to ACC level play. I think in time that can happen but will it is the question. So far I see a lot of things to like.

44rules
    Participant

I, for one, would have loved to have seen B.J. Anya after a year in Keatts’ system.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Fastback68
    Participant

I haven’t seen any posters ripping KK or the team across pack websites. Everyone seems positive and taking a wait and see attitude. Hopefully, there’s no need for a give KK a Chance thread at yearend.

State PE, anybody want to finally own up to cutting the inseams of every gym t shirt sleeve. We are past the 25 year statute of limitations.

Rick
    Keymaster

Gott left the program in bad shape. It will take some time to clean it up. Anyone calling for KK’s head this year is a fool.

tractor57
    Participant

What I want to see is effort – players and coaching staff. Along the way I’m hoping we win most of the games we should and possibly steal a couple. So far I see the effort (maybe not 100% but much better). KK gets time to set his program as long as I see some progress. I think any other course of action by a fan is not the right way to go. Now if at the end of the year (or even at the end of the second year) I don’t see signs of that hustle and improvement I might change my mind.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m seemingly in a minority, but I’m pretty excited. We’re going to take some lumps along the way, but this is the best I have felt about our basketball program in 20 years.

It’s early… but count me in…

+1

BYOB

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

I am optimistic too. However, that optimism is tempered by the challenges the team will face this year.

It will be fun to watch when we are playing 1 guard and 3 big wings and a big vs the lineup we have this year.

Hopefully, we see some improved outside shooting in the future, because with this offense relied heavily on it.

JeremyH
    Participant

Gott left the program in bad shape. It will take some time to clean it up. Anyone calling for KK’s head this year is a fool.

L. Freeman, Abu, and Markell is not exactly leaving the cupboard bare, but I get your point. I like the reinforcements (A. Freeman and Hunt), but I’m concerned they are a bit undersized. Any time we have a transfer from a smaller conference, the question arises on how they match up with ACC competition. We lucked out with Lacey and Turner. Too bad we need to wait until round two to see Daniels.

ryebread
    Participant

JeremyH: Freeman played at Baylor. Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, etc. have some good talent. Hunt played at A&T, but he lit up Ga. Tech last year. I think these guys can play at this level.

I do agree that neither are natural fits to our style. Hunt can shoot well enough but isn’t probably the size we’d recruit. Freeman has the body and physicality, but I don’t think he is a pure shooter.

I do think that finding kids that can shoot who are also bouncy, quick and high motor is going to be the recruiting challenge. We’re going to have to be very targeted, even if that is slightly lower player rankings.

rthomas44
    Participant

All you need to do is look at the staff and see how the team relates to them during the game. Keats knows what he is doing and has already recruited well.

Texpack
    Participant

Since my comment about getting blown out a lot has been referenced several times, I’d like to explain. I think good teams with smart guards and athletic bigs will destroy the press this year. We don’t have all of the players we need nor do we have the experience we need to avoid this. Keatts is committed to that style of play and he is going to play that way no matter what. We also don’t have many shooters so there isn’t much of a plan b for offense.

I like the observation that several made about pounding the lousy teams to this point. Definitely something we weren’t great at doing under Gott. Our Big 10 game and the game against Arizona will we good indicators of the ACC slate. I’d peg us at 4-6 conference wins at this point.

phcqmfd
    Participant

Just to start the flames a bit,

Danny “Cant Miss” Manning is sure tearing it up in Winston these days.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Freeman, Abu, and Markell is not exactly leaving the cupboard bare,

Losing the top three scorers off of a bad team is most certainly a bare cupboard.

Fastback68
    Participant

I believe Gott was 3-6 against Manning.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

At the Half v. Presbyterian…

PACK stuck in half-court mode…

JeezUS, help us poor farmers…

Catholics two weeks ago, Presbyterians tonight and the good Baptists this Saturday night! … while there’s no reason we cannot play the Methodists on the gridiron….

… and I’m just waiting for the Presbyterian Jokes to start…

just remember Bro Mc The Elder is lurking…
    POP!!!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

what the hell is this I turn on the game and we are losing to the damn blue hose in the 2nd half? oh here we go

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

3 games into the season and we haven’t been in a game that felt like a nail-biter. Sad to say, but I too feel like that is a small step forward.

Game 4 it is. Against the Blue Hoes. Yikes.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I haven’t seen any posters ripping KK or the team across pack websites. Everyone seems positive and taking a wait and see attitude.

Probably won’t be long now.

Big picture this is likely just a blip, but against Blue Frigging Ho Ho Hoes is kinda bad.

MrPlywood
    Participant

12:29 left, 55-51 Pack… Looks like some halftime (attitude?) adjustments have been made.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’m gonna guess we won’t see a lot of slurping of the KK knob for at least a few days. From what I’m seeing we’ll be bottom 25% of the ACC this year. We definitely will be needing different personnel to run this system.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Looks like some halftime (attitude?) adjustments have been made.

PACK up double digits with less than 10 to play…

I’m guessing the subject of “Halftime Adjustments” might once again become acceptable….

We just need to finish this one strong and close out the pre-season 4-0….

POP!!!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Tete fouling out for the Blue Professional Hoes and their overall foul trouble in the 2nd half has worked out pretty well for us. The Royal Blue Prostitutes are still within striking distance.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.