Wolfpack Basketball at UVa

Home Forums All StateFansNation Wolfpack Basketball at UVa

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    WallyB
    Participant

You guys think it’s painful to watch this team? Compared to when BJD and I were at every home game from November 1991 through March 1996 screaming our heads off for those teams, this team is streets ahead. I was (and will always be) Curtis Marshall’s #1 fan, but there’s no comparison.

Classof89
    Participant

Ahhh, Curtis Marshall. One year he punched a plate glass window and was out for the season…IIRC, our guard play actually improved that year…He was the player who taught me the lesson that “Player of the Year” in your state is not very meaningful if your sport is basketball and the state is Nebraska…

Aeight
    Participant

Ryebread and 92 owen you are corresct and I agree with your assessments. It’s not just the loss of players expected to be here this year and not being prepared for such loses. This is a systemic problem with the basketball program. With the exception of Dennis Smith, we have nothing coming next year…nothing. News here state we are going back to the JC route to fill spots or looking at other graduate players with one to play, to fill spots on the roster. This should not happen to a program at the ACC level. Gott got caught with his pants down and now there doesn’t seem to be a recovery plan. You can’t make a living with transfers and the lot, you have to have program building freshman recruits, 4 year players to build, create depth, and develop so you can absorb a loss or two when it happens. Someone mentioned Virginia’s formula for doing that and it works.

Ttown Wolfman
    Participant

What does TOS mean?

Aeight
    Participant

TOS means “the other site”, such as as Pack pride or The wolfpacker.

Ttown Wolfman
    Participant

Hey thanks Aeight, definitely needed help with that one.

tractor57
    Participant

“This should not happen to a program at the ACC level. Gott got caught with his pants down and now there doesn’t seem to be a recovery plan.”
    Same could be said for Roy boy, K and the “other Rick” at Louisville. The difference is they were more able to weather the storm (except the “other Rick” apparently).
    I agree that this year was less that expected or desired for the Pack. Maybe a coaching staff issue or maybe the confluence of a lot of issues. Either way not all that unusual.
    The question is as always can the Pack do better with a new staff? Maybe yes and maybe no.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… extending T57’s query…

Sh^t happens… to everybody, everywhere… sooner or later…

Now some want to focus on why the Sh^t happened, or what it should have never happened, which is their unfortunate prerogative….
    However, the greater question is certainly “What happens next… or How does one handle his Sh^t?”.

To that … there is no one on this Team — Staff or Player — who hasn’t doubled down, reached back, found something extra AND exhibited publically nothing less than a most positive and professional attitude and work ethic in the face of truly adverse and unforseen circumstances.

It seems to me, at the end of the day, on the top level, that’s what sports and “Coaching” is all about — character.

How can any of us “observers” be anything less than most proud of this Team?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wolfpack92owen
    Participant

… extending T57’s query…

Sh^t happens… to everybody, everywhere… sooner or later…

Now some want to focus on why the Sh^t happened, or what it should have never happened, which is their unfortunate prerogative….
    However, the greater question is certainly “What happens next… or How does one handle his Sh^t?”.

To that … there is no one on this Team — Staff or Player — who hasn’t doubled down, reached back, found something extra AND exhibited publically nothing less than a most positive and professional attitude and work ethic in the face of truly adverse and unforseen circumstances.

It seems to me, at the end of the day, on the top level, that’s what sports and “Coaching” is all about — character.

How can any of us “observers” be anything less than most proud of this Team?

I am not even sure which way to go with this one?

Rick
    Keymaster

I agree about the team. When I have seen them play they play very hard. That is certainly a tribute as they could have easily mailed it in.
    I also agree they have been very positive publicly.
    I disagree about the circumstances being unforeseen. Anyone should have seen the Washington transfer and if Gott didn’t have the open relationship necessary to know about Lacey’s departure then he needs to work on communication. JMHO
    To your last point, I am not sure referring to this coach’s character is a good idea. One of the things I dislike most about this coach is his lack of character. Gott has his strengths but this is not one of them.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s a mulligan year. He built up enough goodwill to earn one of those. It is what it is. Of course he’s responsible for what happens in the 5th year of his program, though.

peteavio
    Participant

I remember Curtis Marshal’s tricked out Grand Am. Solid!

My 5 year old, the boy, picked a good year to start paying attention to Wolfpack sports. Where he used to ask me “Who’s better, the Wolfpack or fill in the blank“, before a game. Now a days, the question goes “is fill in the blank also better than us?

my two year old, does love rooting for kitty cat Barber.

MP
    Participant

One of the things I dislike most about this coach is his lack of character.

As someone who is WAY outside the loop on inside information – Is this re: the Alabama story or something(s) else?

BJD95
    Keymaster

Man, Curtis Marshall was a damned HERO! He seemed like the only dude on the floor who cared that we sucked.

pakfanistan
    Participant

As someone who is WAY outside the loop on inside information – Is this re: the Alabama story or something(s) else?

MARK GOTTFRIED IS AN ARCH CRIMINAL!

I wonder how many people will get that reference.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

One word. Lakista!

TheCOWDOG

” One of the things I dislike most about this coach is his lack of character.”

I don’t even have a beginning to this…lost where to start…rendered completely blank…cartoon bubble ????, blank.

Now Paki, I can think of a couple references, but I’m almost sure they won’t be the one.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I gotta say, it’s probably pretty easy to sit in judgement of someone’s character when coeds aren’t throwing themselves at you.

TheCOWDOG

I gotta say, it’s probably pretty easy to sit in judgement of someone’s character when coeds aren’t throwing themselves at you.

LMFAO

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Regarding “Character”…

1. It is a changing, evolving, developing kind of thing… As we all learn from our “mistakes”… our “character” is not the same at 35 as it was at 25, at 55 as it was at 45 years old….

I know the “apple don’t fall from the tree”… but I also know “every seeding has a little bit different DNA” plus given different growing environments, they are the same and different at the same time…. so therein lies the rub…

2. No one should be judged for life by their Best Day or their Worst Day….

3. EVERY TEAM’s demeanor, personality and character — whatever you want to call “IT” — is a mirror of it’s Coach… if it’s not, it’s not a TEAM…

4. Sports is all about Character under extreme, public pressure… At the end of the day…. winners hang with winners and losers leave town…

5. This TEAM this Season — players and coaches — is a winning Team, regardless of W&Ls….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ryebread
    Participant

I wouldn’t bring “character” up in this discussion at all. College basketball is s dirty, dirty, dirty business. Ask yourself this, are Pitino, Roy, Boeheim, Dean or K high character individuals that you’d hope your children grew up modeling behavior after? I’d hope the answer is no, yet all are Hall of Famers.

Please don’t construe this as support for an “if you’re no cheating you aren’t winning” argument. It’s not that. It’s just that success in this business has seemingly no linkage to “character,” so let’s not bring that into the discussion.

ryebread
    Participant

This discussion really just comes down to the overall record and the program trends. The overall record (.616) and conference winning percentages (.505) for Gott are nearly identical between his 11 years at Alabama and his 4+ at NC State. At a certain point you are your record in this business.

The question is whether that is good enough. I tend to think a lot of it comes back to one’s individual expectations for the program.

Really though it doesn’t matter what any of our expectations are. It matters what the powers that be think. What baffles me is that given Yow’s stated objectives for the programs (top 25s, championships, and high level recruiting), and her handling of some of the other coaches, how Gott is so untouchable. I wonder what the big money donors think.

tractor57
    Participant

^ Not so sure he is untouchable in the end. I will agree that the program is not where I would like to see it (but then I have not seen any program outside of UCLA from the 1960’s and 1970’s that would meet my personal standard). I do think there is some rope but is is getting shorter (or maybe wrapped around the neck). I’m ok with one bad year not so sure I would feel the same this time next season with equal results.

Rick
    Keymaster

If someone has lost both a job and a marriage because of their infidelity, it is hardly being judgmental to question their character. Truth is the defense for defamation.

WallyB
    Participant

My 5 year old, the boy, picked a good year to start paying attention to Wolfpack sports. Where he used to ask me “Who’s better, the Wolfpack or fill in the blank“, before a game. Now a days, the question goes “is fill in the blank also better than us?

my two year old, does love rooting for kitty cat Barber.

Parenting – you’re doing it right.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.